The anti-crypto thread

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Not to charge your Tesla, though, which is what Jedi was talking about. I have a 220V microwave, so I know people can install them in odd spots. But Jedi was implying if you had an electrical car you could use the same plug for a computer.

you said computer room :colbert:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
no idea wtf gas costs for Etherum?!

Since you asked: doing anything on the Ethereum blockchain requires a fee, which is referred to as "gas". You're essentially bidding on someone verifying your transaction. Note that Ethereum transactions can be something as simple as moving ETH or an ERC20 from one address to another

or

it can be invoking a smart contract.

how does ETH even factor into nft's?

NFTs can be created (minted) on the Ethereum blockchain or sent to another address. Both actions require gas.

no, nevermind... dont explain it. i dont want to know

Too late.

and has anyone successfully resold nft's for big profit?

Yes. Technically Cryptokitties were the original NFTs, I guess? And a lot of people made money off those.

Reactions: JEDI
Jul 27, 2020

... because FIAT currency is inflating? As opposed to certain crypto-currencies that literally can't? LOL ROFTL at the ignorance.

(posting here to avoid derailing the original thread)

What problems has cryptocurrency solved so far?

From my perspective, here is what it has accomplished:

1. Enriching some people, mostly shady folks (blackhat hackers, malware developers/scammers, drug dealers etc.), miners and scalpers

2. Jacking up GPU prices to the detriment of everyone who needed a GPU at a reasonable price and for whom the GPU was originally intended for.

3. Made global warming worse.

4. Increased pollution where the electricity production involved fossil fuels (coal fired power stations).

If it has done ANY good at all, it is far outweighed by the mostly irrevocable damage it has left in its wake. If fiat currency has an inflation problem, everyone needs to get together to fix that and that means fixing the banking sector (the real bad guys/sharks).

Cryptocurrency may very well be the future but the havoc it has caused is beyond measurable.

www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/cryptocurrency-environmental-impact

"The more people learn about crypto, they learn about all the options, and they can easily decide not to use one crypto and therefore use another which is more environmentally friendly, and doesn't use proof of work," he says. "The options are there, but you need to get educated to even see the wider options, and use them."

^^^this. As always, ignorance and greed is behind this mess humanity has created for itself. We WILL learn from this stupid mistake sooner or later but it will come at a grave cost and most likely when it is too late.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
What problems has cryptocurrency solved so far?

XMR is, for its intended purpose, perhaps the most brilliant functional creation of the blockchain world. It's really quite remarkable. Also for those that support it, Nano is an exceptionally cheap way to transfer value at any scale, for any reason, without restriction.

Reactions: beginner99

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
XMR is, for its intended purpose, perhaps the most brilliant functional creation of the blockchain world. It's really quite remarkable. Also for those that support it, Nano is an exceptionally cheap way to transfer value at any scale, for any reason, without restriction.
I don't understand why utopists keep dreaming of a world without restrictions, when all evidence of any society without laws, regulations and control turns into flaming anarchy.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't understand why utopists keep dreaming of a world without restrictions, when all evidence of any society without laws, regulations and control turns into flaming anarchy.

Eh. It's a living!

Seriously though, Nano is just cheap. It isn't anarchic. XMR is anarchic. Good luck stopping that snowball. It's out of our hands now.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
code says NEMA 5-20P has to be hooked up to 20A breaker. So not a typical 120VAC 15A circuit at all.

If a builder is competent, then they’re using 20A breakers and #12 lines for standard room circuits. This is especially important in areas like the kitchen where it isn’t uncommon to have multiple power-hungry devices running in tandem. My kitchen isn’t that big (11x11), and I only set it up with 2x 20A SACs. I really should’ve done three or four though…or perhaps organize them differently. Anyway… those 20A circuits are still using 15A outlets.

The only problem that I’ve seen related to this are the idiots that upgrade to 20A breakers but don’t update the lines. I’ve got quite a few 20A circuits on #14 wires.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If a builder is competent, then they’re using 20A breakers and #12 lines for standard room circuits. This is especially important in areas like the kitchen where it isn’t uncommon to have multiple power-hungry devices running in tandem. My kitchen isn’t that big (11x11), and I only set it up with 2x 20A SACs. I really should’ve done three or four though…or perhaps organize them differently. Anyway… those 20A circuits are still using 15A outlets.

The only problem that I’ve seen related to this are the idiots that upgrade to 20A breakers but don’t update the lines. I’ve got quite a few 20A circuits on #14 wires.

12GA is the standard here.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
12GA is the standard here.

Yeah, it's pretty rare to use #14. The only time I know of people ever suggesting it is for circuits that are strictly for lighting, but even then, the idea of running #12 is that you may not know if there's ever a reason to use the circuit for more than just lights. I have something like 25 feet of #14 laying around, and I'm pretty sure it's still in the plastic wrapping. I've already gone through a 100-foot roll of #12 and have been digging into my other roll. Need to rewire the pool's smart switch to 120V instead of 220V to free up space in the panel so I can get the tankless water heater installed finally.

Jul 27, 2020
Why do people trust exchanges anyway? Just keep the loot in your own wallet. Oh wait, they do that for convenience so they don't lose the wallet or forget its password? Well, convenience has its downsides which in case of bad luck would mean total loss of funds.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
BTC returns are way higher compared to something like the S&P and it's barely getting started. You guys are funny.

It's all about when you bought in, really.

Bitcoin would still look like an excellent investment now if you bought it at $50. If you bought it at $50,000... not so much!

Of course, if you bought Bitcoin at $50 and sold it at $50,000, you probably wouldn't be posting here. You would be too busy snorting lines of coke off the backside of a swimsuit model right now :)

Reactions: Shmee and legcramp