The American Terrorists

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I was looking for something on youtube and came across this little 10 minute self-proclaimed "mini-documentary" and it touched something that has been on my mind for quite some time now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY96soe41BI

I believe there is a growing amount of Americans who have become fed up with how our government is functioning. Our policies, both domestic and foreign, socially and economically. There is just no doubt about it, people really want some changes in this country. While Ron Paul took a major loss in the race for the Republican nomination, the phenomenon revolving around his campaign was definitely something new and something quite amazing. Certainly Obama's message of change is drawing in many, many more people.

With the internet now being something extremely common, films and videos about the Federal Reserve, the war in Iraq, the September 11th attacks, and even many news segments, as well as conspiracy theory videos, are being shared and watched. Even PBS's "Frontline" segments about Dick Cheney are enough to scare the minority of people willing to watch and actually retain the message.

Many will argue that a lot of what people are seeing is biased, and some of it, just plain lies. I certainly won't disagree. But I wanted to create this thread because I believe that this is irrelevant.

The people who are fed up, angry, disenfranchised, and even scared, are in the minority. But they are real. And they certainly are diverse, not just in terms of political philosophy, but also in regards to their reasons. On one hand, you have a very small group of people who believe our government planned and carried out the Sept 11th attacks, or perhaps, "the Jews" did it. Those who believe Gore won the election of 2000. Those who believe the Bush administration lied to get 170,000 troops into Iraq. Those who believe FoxNews is a mouthpiece for Neo-conservatives. Those who believe that the Federal Reserve is nothing more than a group of economic gangsters. Those who believe we are ready to attack Iran. Those who believe Bush and Cheney will declare Martial Law and retain their offices after January 2009. Those who fear the Democrats will surrender to terrorists, those who think OBL works for the CIA.

It doesn't matter if what one believes is true or fabrication. It doesn't matter if the anger is justified. Because we have to deal with reality, and the reality is how people feel.

It seems insane to think that a bunch of Americans will react in violence, that people would bomb a government building, kill innocent people, go on a rampage. A domino effect resulting in chaos. Timothy McVeigh comes to mind, but that was a while ago, when people were running Windows 95 and had 56K modems. If they were lucky.

But what if tomorrow, something similar happens. Some guy writes up a suicide note filled with hatred towards our government, and drives a truck loaded with explosive material into some building. And what happens when just enough people think he was justified in what he did, and just enough of those people want to do something similar.

What happens when innocent people no longer become innocent people, at least in the eyes of others? What happens when people take on the "you are either with us, or against us" mentality? What happens when John McCain voters are not innocent because they are supporting someone who is ruining the country, or Clinton voters, or Obama voters are not innocent because they are voting for someone who will ruin the country? Again, it doesn't matter if it is true, or justified.

Honestly, I don't even want to imagine the consequences.

After the September 11th attacks, a lot of people in our government realized that we had pissed off a lot of people overseas. They call it "blow-back." And they have thought of ways to combat and deal with the situation. And while we sit at home and watch David Walker talk about the coming $53 trillion in entitlements, Naomi Wolf talk about "The End of America," and how Cheney and Rumsfeld fucked up the Iraqi invasion, I wonder if some of our government officials see what we see, and foresee the government having to deal with another group of people they have pissed off. A group of people who aren't overseas, aren't brown, but are angry, and seek vengeance and change through violent acts.

I think that unless we do make some drastic changes, the American Terrorist is inevitable. True, there have always been people in this country who were mad, upset, and angry. People who don't trust our government. But with new technologies, messages, whether they be truth or lies or mixed, are being spread faster and to more and more people. And the means of change through voting and representation seems to be failing, at least to those of concern. Those who wanted Ross Perot were disappointed. Those who wanted Ron Paul never even had a prayer. And even those who want Barack Obama are getting worried.

If it continues, eventually, something has to give. Great change usually comes by means of great violence. And those who want the change are inevitably those who bring the violence. I can only hope that when the time comes, God blesses America with a Mahatma Gandhi or a Martin Luther King Jr, that God blesses America with a side worthy of our standing by, and a tomorrow worthy of our hope.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Haven't you already rejected Barak Obama and isn't that his message, the urgency of change?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Haven't you already rejected Barak Obama and isn't that his message, the urgency of change?

I think one of the messages in my OP is that people may not get the chance to vote for Obama. That you will go to the voting booth with great anger, or stay at home, pissed off at Hillary's supporters.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

God Damn America!!!

LOL

As much as I'm sick of people beating that dead horse, that one made me crack up loud. Thought it should be "Gahd Dayumn Amerikkuh"

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Where do you draw the line between terrorist and patriot?

There is no difference, other than in the history books.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Many of these sentiments only require fuel to ignite the flames.

That fuel is called desperation. That desperation might come in the form of an economic depression. Should that event hit us within the next five years it becomes apparent in all likelihood that the ?American Terrorist? would be a reality.

Then in that case, our government will do what it does best ? protect itself. Goodbye Bill of Rights, not like they haven?t been chewing away at it for the last few decades. Interestingly enough it seems to correlate with the increasing discontent and lower approval ratings.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Obama will change nothing. He's just fresher packaging concealing an expired product.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Where do you draw the line between terrorist and patriot?

There is no difference, other than in the history books.

There's a huge difference between destroying property and destroying lives. Even as much as I loathe those silly World Bank protesters, I respect that all they've ever destroyed is a couple of McDonald's and Starbucks. I don't agree with their property destruction, but they don't make people feel unsafe in their midst. That's worlds apart from blowing up an occupied building full of federal employees and a daycare center or blowing up a bus full of innocent passengers.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre

I think one of the messages in my OP is that people may not get the chance to vote for Obama. That you will go to the voting booth with great anger, or stay at home, pissed off at Hillary's supporters.

I think that one of my messages is that self hate is hope defeating, that we are already self defeated. That is where the anger comes from, our own anger at ourselves because we have given up. Destroying the world is unconscious suicide, self destruction without awakening to the true source of the inner pain. To die indirectly by one's own hand is a narcotic, a protection against a much more personal suffering.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

God Damn America!!!

You have no self love and have substituted patriotism and love of country for what should be respect for yourself. Because you identified with some external you are now a captive to its fate. When somebody slimes America they slime you, poor thing, so all you can do is transfer your self hate to the attacker. You fail to see that those with self hate act like slime and bring damnation from other self hates identified elsewhere down on your head. Your patriotism is a false thing and needs to be damned. Your country is not without sin. Being captain of the cavemen isn't as good as a day in the sun. Come out of your dark hole and play.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Obama will change nothing. He's just fresher packaging concealing an expired product.

:confused: Oh great bearer of the magic crystal ball will you please provide me this weeks lotto numbers?

Edit: Also, it's funny you say Obama is an 'expired product' when so many others say he doesn't yet have enough experience.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor

:confused: Oh great bearer of the magic crystal ball will you please provide me this weeks lotto numbers?

It hardly takes a magic crystal ball to see through BS. If I'm wrong, tell me what will change (other than whoever occupies the desk in the Oval Office).

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I fear his crystal ball will only tell you what he had for last night's dinner.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It hardly takes a magic crystal ball to see through BS. If I'm wrong, tell me what will change (other than whoever occupies the desk in the Oval Office).

IMO some of the change has already happened. Obama has drawn more young and new voters to the booth. For me this is the first time I felt compelled to contribute to a campaign. I can't say for sure this 'change' will continue if he is president but I am willing to give him a chance. After 8 years of GWB we need a different direction and I don't think McCain is the answer.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

IMO some of the change has already happened. Obama has drawn more young and new voters to the booth. For me this is the first time I felt compelled to contribute to a campaign. I can't say for sure this 'change' will continue if he is president but I am willing to give him a chance. After 8 years of GWB we need a different direction and I don't think McCain is the answer.

So what if more young people vote? I've never cared about the supposed "problem" that young people didn't vote (although I always made a point of voting ever since I turned 18) - if you weren't concerned enough to vote, you probably weren't concerned enough to educate yourself, and should probably stay home. So how does more young adults voting change anything? Will Social Security finally get fixed? Not likely. Will the budget get balanced? Don't hold your breath. Will the federal gov't stop overstepping its authority? Nope. Welcome to this year's smoke-and-mirrors show. Enjoy.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
time to round up all these white, educated and angry americans and draft them and ship them off to Iraq to fight.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Neither Obama, Hillary, or McCain will change anything that is meaningful to the citizens

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^all owe Corpsearations of the USA ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did any of them NOT accept money from multi-national corporations or US Pharmaceutical Indusrtries?

Does the Media have an ENORMMOUS chokehold on the US Public

Does the Military Industrial Complex exert way way way too much control over our politicians and our tax dollars and the deaths of our soldiers and those they kill

^^^^^ Honestly.. are any of those candidate above going to anything to stop those groups above?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Actually, Obama has had some good ideas in the Senate (that, of course, have been shot down by the 'old guard').

The first one that comes to mind was a 'searchable' database of earmarks and Federal spending. That's enough to make me want to vote for him right there ... :)

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: maddogchen
time to round up all these white, educated and angry americans and draft them and ship them off to Iraq to fight.

Is that your American Gulag? Fight what? Bunch of backward idiots. China, India, and GWB-type politicians are the real enemy we need to worry about.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: maddogchen

Whee-hadists ???

If they wer eedumacated then it would be

Hee Haw-dists