The American Dream Revistited

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."...

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood....

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return to the South. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.
MLK

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
MLK in the south is the name of the street that divides "The wrong side of the tracks".

Good luck winning any points with that guy, I mean c'mon, Jesus who wanted to feed the poor? What a weakling!

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
You can't do it through law and you can't do it through government. MLK certainly didn't.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
You can't do it through law and you can't do it through government. MLK certainly didn't.

LOL, Lincoln freed the slaves through law. Jim Crow was repealed through law. Heck it was illegal for slaves to legally marry even each other and until WWII it was illegal to marry anyone outside your race. In states like Louisana if you had red hair and green eyes, but were 1/32 black you were legally black and could only marry someone else legally black. Legislation has always been and remains the single most effective means of dealing with the issue.

With the US now having among the worst social mobility in the developed world and whites now having 22 times the wealth of blacks and 15 times that of Hispanics legislation remains the only viable alternative. A friend of mine visited a ghetto to attend a funeral and was told by the police in no uncertain terms to never come back. This kind of extreme classism that supports racism has to end or it will continue to cripple the nation as it always has since the civil war.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
LOL, Lincoln freed the slaves through law. Jim Crow was repealed through law. Heck it was illegal for slaves to legally marry even each other and until WWII it was illegal to marry anyone outside your race. In states like Louisana if you had red hair and green eyes, but were 1/32 black you were legally black and could only marry someone else legally black. Legislation has always been and remains the single most effective means of dealing with the issue.

With the US now having among the worst social mobility in the developed world and whites now having 22 times the wealth of blacks and 15 times that of Hispanics legislation remains the only viable alternative. A friend of mine visited a ghetto to attend a funeral and was told by the police in no uncertain terms to never come back. This kind of extreme classism that supports racism has to end or it will continue to cripple the nation as it always has since the civil war.

And yet people still hate each other equally. No law can overcome hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.