8GB VRAM not enough (and 10 / 12)

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
8GB
Horizon Forbidden West 3060 is faster than the 2080 Super despite the former usually competing with the 2070. Also 3060 has a better 1% low than 4060 and 4060Ti 8GB.
pFJi8XrGZfYuvhvk4952je-970-80.png.webp
Resident Evil Village 3060TI/3070 tanks at 4K and is slower than the 3060/6700XT when ray tracing:
RE.jpg
Company Of Heroes 3060 has a higher minimum than the 3070TI:
CH.jpg

10GB / 12GB

Reasons why still shipping 8GB since 2014 isn't NV's fault.
  1. It's the player's fault.
  2. It's the reviewer's fault.
  3. It's the developer's fault.
  4. It's AMD's fault.
  5. It's the game's fault.
  6. It's the driver's fault.
  7. It's a system configuration issue.
  8. Wrong settings were tested.
  9. Wrong area was tested.
  10. Wrong games were tested.
  11. 4K is irrelevant.
  12. Texture quality is irrelevant as long as it matches a console's.
  13. Detail levels are irrelevant as long as they match a console's.
  14. There's no reason a game should use more than 8GB, because a random forum user said so.
  15. It's completely acceptable for the more expensive 3070/3070TI/3080 to turn down settings while the cheaper 3060/6700XT has no issue.
  16. It's an anomaly.
  17. It's a console port.
  18. It's a conspiracy against NV.
  19. 8GB cards aren't meant for 4K / 1440p / 1080p / 720p gaming.
  20. It's completely acceptable to disable ray tracing on NV while AMD has no issue.
  21. Polls, hardware market share, and game title count are evidence 8GB is enough, but are totally ignored when they don't suit the ray tracing agenda.
According to some people here, 8GB is neeeevaaaaah NV's fault and objective evidence "doesn't count" because of reasons(tm). If you have others please let me know and I'll add them to the list. Cheers!

Last edited:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I did pick up HL Alyx for $24 on the Steam sale. It is a good looking game but it has a ton of quirks. I can't help myself by going on a rant about this game.

On launch I see a warning about low VRAM usage, but game had textures pre-set to ultra. Past few hours I've been on high textures, and it has used around 7.8 to 8.9 GB of VRAM use. I would argue 3080 is fine for this game as long as you use a budget HMD.

I am seeing around 60-80% GPU usage at 5408x2736 (native) at a locked 120fps at 120hz. But at 2x supersample I can start any mission with max VRAM usage. Even if FPS counter says 100-110, it feels choppy.

Like any PCVR game on Quest 2, I gotta run the Oculus Debug Tool to disable Asynchronous Spacewarp and Adaptive GPU Performance Scale. Then in Alyx I gotta run -console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3 to disable resolution scale feature.

Adding -nowindow will provide an enormous performance uplift by disabling Spectator Window. This allows me to run GPU at just 1.5 GHz and draw 140W while playing this game at a smooth 120.

Game has another layer of Asynchronous Spacewarp inside which is simply awful and made me want to refund it. This will arbitrarily cut a users framerate to half their refresh rate if the game thinks CPU or GPU usage is too high. Reading how setting hlvr.exe priority to high will help minimize this. Process Lasso will help remember that for me. There is no such thing as intelligent ASW in my opinion. It will still often cap fps to 60 during main menu and loading screens though.

You can just ignore that warning, I get it on any video card but the game works fine. Maybe try running it at 90hz instead of 120hz. It never went into reprojection for me at 90hz, even on a 1080ti or 3090. 200% supersampling is probably too high in this game given that it's already vram hungry.

Reactions: ZGR

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I did pick up HL Alyx for $24 on the Steam sale. It is a good looking game but it has a ton of quirks. I can't help myself by going on a rant about this game.

On launch I see a warning about low VRAM usage, but game had textures pre-set to ultra.

The warning is just a bug that is shown to everyone, even people with a 3090 and 24 GB of VRAM.

Game has another layer of Asynchronous Spacewarp inside which is simply awful and made me want to refund it. This will arbitrarily cut a users framerate to half their refresh rate if the game thinks CPU or GPU usage is too high. Reading how setting hlvr.exe priority to high will help minimize this. Process Lasso will help remember that for me. There is no such thing as intelligent ASW in my opinion. It will still often cap fps to 60 during main menu and loading screens though.

The game actually works very well on lower-end hardware, but it does seem that they didn't make it scale to more high end hardware all that well. Although a 3080 is hardly truly high-end for VR.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

GameGPU tested Diablo 4 Beta and got almost 20 GB of VRAM allocated at 4K.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

GameGPU tested Diablo 4 Beta and got almost 20 GB of VRAM allocated at 4K.

Looks like it will try to use upwards of 16 GB even at lower resolutions if the card has it. It's pretty clear that it wants this much as if you look at the system memory utilization the 8 GB cards like the 3070 or 6600 XT had to allocate around twice as much RAM.

It doesn't seem like the cards with less memory are seeing significant performance degradation as a result, but more focused testing to look specifically for that would be necessary. I'm assuming the game is loading as much data as possible to speed up zone transitions, waypoints, etc.

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
Honestly speaking, buying RTX 4090 Laptop over RTX 4080 doesn't make much sense unless you want 16GB Vram.
Screenshot_13.png
Screenshot_14.png
Difference in SM count is 76(131%) vs 58(100%), but difference in frequency is 28-30%.

Mobile N32 could be interesting because of 16GB Vram, but It will be certainly slower than ADA104.

edit: It's from Laptopmedia

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranulf

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Hitting a VRAM wall with Deep Rock Galactic VR (https://drg.old.mod.io/vrg) with ultra textures! With ultra textures enabled at 100% resolution, the game throttles me back to a locked 60 even with ASW disabled and with max VRAM usage. Lowering textures to high puts VRAM usage to around 7GB and I can get a locked 120fps again.

This is the kind of low VRAM behavior I wanna keep looking for. Not just monitoring VRAM usage, but seeing when and where performance tanks.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I just want to throw out the extra VRAM consideration of multiple monitors. The extended desktop theme. If you are running a single monitor, 8GB of enough. If you are running multiple monitors, I would think you would want 16GB of VRAM. Most people who are serious about their computers have two or more monitors.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Computer Base review of The Resident Evil 4 remake: 8GB cards can't do max settings with ray tracing at 1080. Crashes the game due to lack of VRAM.

https://www.computerbase.de/2023-03/resident-evil-4-remake-benchmark-test/3/
The relevant part translated from the article:

The VRAM hunger increases especially when ray tracing is activated, and 8 GB is simply not enough for otherwise maximized details. Even in Full HD, the GeForce RTX 3060 Ti crashes reproducibly within seconds. If the graphics card only has 8 GB of memory, the texture details have to be reduced or ray tracing switched off. Without the rays, 8 GB is sufficient, at least up to 2,560 × 1,440 – ComputerBase has not tested even higher resolutions.

Not only 8 GB are problematic, graphics cards with only 10 GB of memory also fall into the VRAM trap. The GeForce RTX 3080 in Ultra HD with activated ray tracing does not crash regularly, but it does from time to time. The otherwise decent frame rates don't help here, the texture details have to be reduced on the former high-end graphics card.

From 16 GB there are no problems with the memory, but the editors have not yet tested whether 12 GB is sufficient.
So both 10GB and 8GB cards need reduced texture details to stop the crashing, while 16GB cards have no problem. Again, nVidia's "wray traycing" advantage is useless because their cards don't have enough VRAM to use it.

I wonder if this game is also an "anomaly", or perhaps the 3070 is now actually a 720p card, amrite?

And still not a peep out of Digital Foundry with regards to VRAM testing despite them already having two RE4 articles up. What an absolute fraud they turned out to be.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
I'm sooooooooo glad that I got rid of my brand new 3060 Ti and 3080 10GB cards. The low selling price stung at the time but it all turned out well in the end. I am really sorry for all the people here who got fooled by Nvidia. It's your hard earned money that Jensen is using to wipe his behind.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
And still not a peep out of Digital Foundry with regards to VRAM testing despite them already having two RE4 articles up. What an absolute fraud they turned out to be.

They're such Nvidia shills. I remember they (rightfully) were screaming it from the rooftops years ago when AMD had bad DirectX 11 overhead that was causing their cards to underperform when used with lower end or older cpus. But now that Nvidia is the one with bad DirectX 12 overhead that causes their cards to underperform when used with lower end or older cpus it's crickets from them. Though I completely lost all respect for Digital Foundry last year when they put out a video calling Horizon Forbidden West a graphics masterclass when this is what performance mode on PS5 looked like the first few months it was out. It's not the quality of the video taken (although that's not great), the foliage really was that aliased and shimmered that much when I played it using 4k output on my 4k monitor and would only go away if I blurred the picture by having my PS5 output 1080p. Sometimes the trees could look almost XBox 360-esque. It's thankfully fixed and the game looks great now but it was horrendous the first four months or so.

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
I can also see some websites that are yet to point out ANY problems in any resolution on any 8GB card ;) Even worse, their testers actively report no issues in the newset games even though they make articles regularly. Taking notes :cool:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Here it is in action; the 3070ti crapping the bed in RE4.
Relevant quotes from the author to reinforce the message:
The RTX 3070 TI is a powerful enough GPU that if it wasn't running out of VRAM and crashing, it could actually run this game completely maxed out @ 1440p with no issues, even including the raytracing, no upscaling required.
The only thing I had to turn down is textures, but textures are annoying when you look at them and they're definitely a lower resolution.

Jul 27, 2020
The game really shouldn't crash due to VRAM, lol. Certinately helps the talk that Capcom released it a bit half baked but wanted it out by the end of the quarter.
Don't pin this on Capcom. They have no obligation to do extra work to support weak cards. They made it for consoles first. It was pretty simple for Nvidia to wake up and notice that 8GB VRAM would become a serious limitation due to the extra RAM available to consoles. But they don't care about gamers. And Capcom does offer the option to reduce the texture quality in RE4:Remake's settings. What more could they do?

You know what option Nvidia has now to prop up their 8GB cards? Implement on-the-fly texture quality degrade in their drivers using the tensor cores.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Don't pin this on Capcom. They have no obligation to do extra work to support weak cards. They made it for consoles first. It was pretty simple for Nvidia to wake up and notice that 8GB VRAM would become a serious limitation due to the extra RAM available to consoles. But they don't care about gamers. And Capcom does offer the option to reduce the texture quality in RE4:Remake's settings. What more could they do?

Oh Capcom will fix it. How long it will take is another story. It's probally down on the list compared to some of the other issues.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Sure they'll fix it, eventually. Maybe they'll even optimize and fit more within 8GB. It takes time however, time that some gamers who already bought the game may not feel like waiting.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Blaming Capcom is a like blaming the racing tack when the small bodied car with rotting tires that you've crammed a V12 into crashes mid race because there was a corner and the car had to do more than just drag race down a straight strip.

There's already a fix in place. It's called turning down the textures. I've got an older GPU and do this all the time for modern titles. I don't blame the developers for not fixing their game so it will run perfectly on my ancient hardware.

If this were an actual bug worth fixing it would affect all cards regardless of VRAM or be the result of a memory leak that only crops up after many hours of gameplay in certain circumstances. Turn down the settings and the game runs, then it's not a bug or something worth fixing.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
A 3070 Ti is the opposite of ancient, though. Depending on how you look at it, it stopped being a current gen product 2 months ago or if you don't look at the naming scheme, but at the price to compare tiers, it hasn't been replaced yet.

Isn't it a little ridiculous to have a card with a $599 MSRP be called 'ancient' so soon?