The 2nd Amendment issue is going to come to a head in the next few years

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Cesare Beccaria was a contemporary theorist and among the first famous for the 'if firearms are outlawed only outlaws will have firearms' line of reasoning. His works were much debated during the day (though often in matters of crime and punishment as opposed to individual liberties). This influence is easy to see in the writings of Jefferson (who frequently mentions Beccaria), such as his suggestions to the Virginia Constitution: "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms [within his own lands or tenements]." ~The Papers of Thomas Jefferson.

Of course, this doesn't have direct bearing against the Constitution. I believe the first Virginia Declaration of Rights had no provision related to the right to bear arms, a startling oversight if they considered it to be such a basic right. In addition, what we need to decide this issue is not a few asides from several people of the time, but evidence as to what was discussed and decided when the amendment was enacted.

George Mason was more influenced by English theorist James Burgh, who was most interested in firearm ownership as a counter to government abuses. This represents the more widely debated aspect of the 2nd amendment process. The key to these theories, however, is that 'militias' were about a civil counter to government power - firearms were a way for the people to have power over those who would rule them. Not that militias were an enforcment arm of government (state or federal). Again, what we're establishing is an environment of rational debate.

See above, and the articles below. It appears that the Second Amendment was more a part of the slavery compromise than even a general guarantee of a right to serve in a militia.

In the end, all insurrectionist theories must fail. It is inherently illogical to suppose that the Framers wished to guarantee private individuals the power to overthrow the government they were constructing, for whatever reason they wished (guns are amoral).

Sir William Blackstone was another much discussed commentator of the day and many of his direct quotes and phrases appear in various sources relating to the writing of the Constitution. One of his more often used quotes relates to the right of every individual to arms..."The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defense, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression."

I am not saying that there did not appear in the annals of world society at the time some evidence of general thought on both sides regarding the right to bear arms (and there is plenty of discussion about the militia angle, too). However, the mere mention of Blackstone's name or theories in a letter etc. from the period does not indicate that his or complementary theories carried the day... and that's what you would need.

I've been generally led to see a prominent global discussion

Again, a prominent global discussion doesn't bear all that much on the meaning of the Second Amendment. It just indicates facts and arguments of which the drafters were aware.

the basic debate of the day supports an awareness on the part of the founders regarding arms ownership as an individual right (even as it was also connected to civic duty).

Yes, an awareness of the theory of such a right, and a recognition of it elsewhere, and even a tendency on the part of a few to argue for it here. However, this is a far cry from awareness/recognition of an existing right here.

A few interesting articles:
one two three

In the end, of course, arguments for an individual have to get past four or five very influential Supreme Court decisions, and the wording of the amendment itself, which indicates the reason in plain language for the inclusion of the amendment.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
For the record, I am for the individual right to possess firearms. I just don't think it's obvious that it is guaranteed by the Constitution-- in fact, it seems that it is not. I don't see any chance in hell that there will ever be an amendment prohibiting individual possession; the biggest thing to fear is a Supreme Court decision clearly stating, once and for all, that the guaranteed right is a "collective" right. And that could well happen in our lifetime... but to keep things in perspective, the only effect would be to leave it up to the states whether to recognize an individual right or not.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Lets take a quick look at other times people is used

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

So I guess that means the state milita has the right to peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, but individuals do not.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Odd here when talking about the military the framers use the word soldiers instead of people.
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I really don't see why only the militia should have this rights.

Any claim that people, in the bill of rights doesn't refer to all people (while white men but that is a different thread) is completely BS.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: smack Down
Lets take a quick look at other times people is used

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

So I guess that means the state milita has the right to peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances, but individuals do not.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Odd here when talking about the military the framers use the word soldiers instead of people.
Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I really don't see why only the militia should have this rights.

Any claim that people, in the bill of rights doesn't refer to all people (while white men but that is a different thread) is completely BS.

Two problems. First, the other places are not introduced in the context of a need for militias, and the words "bear arms" smack of some sort of military service (although this does not imply being a professional soldier). The use of "soldier" is not odd; a soldier is not a private citizen but a member of the military.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: 6000SUX
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Specop007, the Supreme Court is the final authority on the meaning of the Bill of Rights, and in denying certiorari for Silveira v. Lockyer, it certainly permitted what you would call an infringement of rights.

And at that point the only option left is armed revolution. If the Supreme Court, the highest court in the land, doesnt support the Constitution then what avenues are left?

Additionally, no other Right is defined as a "collective" right, I have no idea why anyone would think the 2nd was penned with the intent to be a collective right when all others were penned as individual rights.

No, you misunderstand. The Supreme Court defines what the Consitution means. If they say that the Second Amendment doesn't include an individual right to bear arms, it doesn't.

The Consitution cannot possibly guarantee you a right of armed insurrection. It is inherently illogical to suppose this, and I hope you aren't... A revolution against America, of course, is a revolution against the Consitution and the Second Amendment. There is no valid support for the notion that the Framers intended to support rebellion against local governments, either... It would tend to call into question vertical separation of powers.

Thats not true. Hence the saying "enemies foreign and domestic. The founding Fathers knew very well that government could become too controlling. One reason for the right to bear arms is to overthrow a dictator type government.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
For the record, I am for the individual right to possess firearms. I just don't think it's obvious that it is guaranteed by the Constitution-- in fact, it seems that it is not. I don't see any chance in hell that there will ever be an amendment prohibiting individual possession; the biggest thing to fear is a Supreme Court decision clearly stating, once and for all, that the guaranteed right is a "collective" right. And that could well happen in our lifetime... but to keep things in perspective, the only effect would be to leave it up to the states whether to recognize an individual right or not.

What do you think scares the government more.
Individuals owning firearms, or individuals banding together and forming militias and owning firearms?

May 16, 2000
Cesare Beccaria was a contemporary theorist and among the first famous for the 'if firearms are outlawed only outlaws will have firearms' line of reasoning. His works were much debated during the day (though often in matters of crime and punishment as opposed to individual liberties). This influence is easy to see in the writings of Jefferson (who frequently mentions Beccaria), such as his suggestions to the Virginia Constitution: "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms [within his own lands or tenements]." ~The Papers of Thomas Jefferson.

Of course, this doesn't have direct bearing against the Constitution. I believe the first Virginia Declaration of Rights had no provision related to the right to bear arms, a startling oversight if they considered it to be such a basic right. In addition, what we need to decide this issue is not a few asides from several people of the time, but evidence as to what was discussed and decided when the amendment was enacted.

George Mason was more influenced by English theorist James Burgh, who was most interested in firearm ownership as a counter to government abuses. This represents the more widely debated aspect of the 2nd amendment process. The key to these theories, however, is that 'militias' were about a civil counter to government power - firearms were a way for the people to have power over those who would rule them. Not that militias were an enforcment arm of government (state or federal). Again, what we're establishing is an environment of rational debate.

See above, and the articles below. It appears that the Second Amendment was more a part of the slavery compromise than even a general guarantee of a right to serve in a militia.

In the end, all insurrectionist theories must fail. It is inherently illogical to suppose that the Framers wished to guarantee private individuals the power to overthrow the government they were constructing, for whatever reason they wished (guns are amoral).

Sir William Blackstone was another much discussed commentator of the day and many of his direct quotes and phrases appear in various sources relating to the writing of the Constitution. One of his more often used quotes relates to the right of every individual to arms..."The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defense, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression."

I am not saying that there did not appear in the annals of world society at the time some evidence of general thought on both sides regarding the right to bear arms (and there is plenty of discussion about the militia angle, too). However, the mere mention of Blackstone's name or theories in a letter etc. from the period does not indicate that his or complementary theories carried the day... and that's what you would need.

Again, a prominent global discussion doesn't bear all that much on the meaning of the Second Amendment. It just indicates facts and arguments of which the drafters were aware.

the basic debate of the day supports an awareness on the part of the founders regarding arms ownership as an individual right (even as it was also connected to civic duty).

Yes, an awareness of the theory of such a right, and a recognition of it elsewhere, and even a tendency on the part of a few to argue for it here. However, this is a far cry from awareness/recognition of an existing right here.

one two three

In the end, of course, arguments for an individual have to get past four or five very influential Supreme Court decisions, and the wording of the amendment itself, which indicates the reason in plain language for the inclusion of the amendment.

It does have direct bearing on the Constitution, because nothing exists in a vacuum. The framers didn't create anything out of nothing, they reacted to the prevailing debates and considerations of the day and argued their way to compromises. Anything they came up with is a nearly direct result of what they were exposed to. That's how life works: we grow up within an environment subject to the ideas and beliefs of all those around us...we take some, modify some, and disregard some. In the end our own thoughts are little more than a synthesis of those all around us. Nothing new on heaven or earth sort of thing. This is more than idle conjecture an theory, it's the fundamental basis of all thought and human activity. Hence, the writings and philosophies of major thinkers of the time ARE directly related to the intent of the framers. As to what was discussed, yes, that's important too. The largest focus of the 2nd during the time was how to allow religious exemption from military service (ie do Quakers have to be a part of the militia). That's the majority of writing. There is more however, such as Jefferson and Madison writings which are laced with references to the things I'm talking about. I gave a couple examples, but there are volumes available.

It is inherently illogical to assume the framers were unmoved by the ENORMOUS body of work dedicated to the right of the citizen to rise up against the government...especially given the fact that America was created in exactly that way. The framers were FIRM believers in the right of the citizenry to overpower the government, though I never said it should be possible at a whim. There is such an incredible body of philosophy, political science, and so on dedicated to these ideas that argument against their weight on the minds of the framers is ignorant, if not outright lunacy.

You are saying what the supreme court says is what we MUST accept. I am saying that intent is what we MUST fight for, no matter the cost. Let's not forget that the Supreme court has made some monumentally unjust (and borderline illegal) decisions. Of course, so has every other branch of government. Just because the court or congress says a thing is a certain way does not make it so, nor does it morally or ethically require our consent. We are not subjects of the government however, the members of government (including every justice on every court) are our representatives and servants. You are arguing for law, I am arguing for justice. The two aren't wholly incompatible, but we have to acknowledge what we are dealing with. There is truth in the world, as well as opinion and belief, and these things too are we beholden to. I'm not saying there was consensus on the exact meaning and scope of the 2nd amendment, I'm arguing that the total knowledge and considerations of the framers regarding any piece of legislation carries more weight (to me) than subsequent interpretations by unavoidably biased courts.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Genx87
What is interesting about the the dissenters view is if her view was the majorities. She basically tossed out the entire bill of rights for DC because it isnt considered a state.

Right. And it shows the argument supporting the 2nd was so watertight the ONLY ground to stand on in opposition is that DC isnt a state.

The full document can be read here. While quite long, the ruling was so well laid out it addresses virtually any avenue to overturn it. This is a MAJOR win for our side. Theres still a long ways to go.

Define our side.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005

one two three

It does have direct bearing on the Constitution, because nothing exists in a vacuum. The framers didn't create anything out of nothing, they reacted to the prevailing debates and considerations of the day and argued their way to compromises. Anything they came up with is a nearly direct result of what they were exposed to. That's how life works: we grow up within an environment subject to the ideas and beliefs of all those around us...we take some, modify some, and disregard some. In the end our own thoughts are little more than a synthesis of those all around us. Nothing new on heaven or earth sort of thing. This is more than idle conjecture an theory, it's the fundamental basis of all thought and human activity. Hence, the writings and philosophies of major thinkers of the time ARE directly related to the intent of the framers. As to what was discussed, yes, that's important too. The largest focus of the 2nd during the time was how to allow religious exemption from military service (ie do Quakers have to be a part of the militia). That's the majority of writing. There is more however, such as Jefferson and Madison writings which are laced with references to the things I'm talking about. I gave a couple examples, but there are volumes available.

Your problems are twofold. First, you abuse the word "direct". Evidence of some global theories of the day does not mean that the Constitution was written in agreement with them. "Direct" evidence would be notes by the participants saying that they had written the legislation with those theories specifically in mind. Also, you rely too heavily on just one or two people. There were many at the conference. So you have no direct evidence, and your offhand mentions in letters etc. come only from a few people.

It is inherently illogical to assume the framers were unmoved by the ENORMOUS body of work

No. The enormity of a body of work (which is not such, but rather scattered references and theories that do not comprise a single body, but I will not debate it because it's a waste of time) does not establish even that the framers were moved. It certainly doesn't establish their legislative intent. Similarly, my reading a story about revolution in the New York Times do not establish my revolutionary intent.

especially given the fact that America was created in exactly that way

Sorry, the fact that the U.S. arose by revolt does not support your argument. If anything, the framers would have been worried about setting up the government to avoid or prevent revolt-- and chief on their list was not ensuring the right to revolt.

The framers were FIRM believers in the right of the citizenry to overpower the government

Nope. You can pull up a few incendiary quotes from George Mason et al. made in the attempts to sway other people's minds, perhaps. The framers were definitely not believers in the right of the citizenry to overpower the government. Else they would have sent military aid to the citizens of New Hampshire in their attempt to overthrow the state government.

I never said it should be possible at a whim.

I didn't say you said it. It is a direct, logical consequence of a position that guns must be allowed to the citizenry in order to give them a right to revolt. When you put power in the hands of those not under your control, you are at their whim. This whole "right of revolt" thing is ridiculous-- you should drop it. They would have enumerated it as a right for sure if that were intended.

There is such an incredible body of philosophy, political science, and so on dedicated to these ideas that argument against their weight on the minds of the framers is ignorant, if not outright lunacy.

Stating that global political ideas are direct evidence of legislative intent in America is lunacy and poor scholarship, if not an outright lie.

You are saying what the supreme court says is what we MUST accept. I am saying that intent is what we MUST fight for, no matter the cost.

You can't fight city hall. You are not fighting the good fight here, just posting on a discussion board. In what way are you fighting? :confused: Don't take my word for it, but you do indeed have to accept what the Supreme Court says. Maybe I'll see you on the news someday, being shot down next to Specop 007 by the National Guard after the Supreme Court rules that you never had an individual right to possess a firearm guaranteed by the Constitution.

Let's not forget that the Supreme court has made some monumentally unjust (and borderline illegal) decisions.

The fact that they may have made unjust decisiosn doesn't change the fact that they are the authority when it comes to the Constiution, period. And it doesn't change the fact that you are bound by their decisions, whether you agree with them or not.

Just because the court or congress says a thing is a certain way does not make it so

Yes, in this case it does, because the Supreme Court's most major function is to define what the Constitution means. In other words, you don't know what the Constitution means until they tell you-- although you may argue otherwise on an anonymous forum until you're blue in the face.

You are arguing for law, I am arguing for justice. The two aren't wholly incompatible, but we have to acknowledge what we are dealing with.

I'm not arguing against justice, just stating things the way they are. The law of the United States is what holds us together, not desires by gun aficionados or anyone else. You want the right to do something that is not in the law, make sure it's put there. If something is not in the Constitution that needs to be, it's time for an amendment-- not shaky readings in support of a position in direct conflict with the final authority on the matter.

I'm arguing that the total knowledge and considerations of the framers regarding any piece of legislation carries more weight (to me) than subsequent interpretations by unavoidably biased courts.

Your own interpretation is unavoidably biased. You have a picture of a few bits of knowledge and consideration and are drawing hasty conclusions.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Specop007, the Supreme Court is the final authority on the meaning of the Bill of Rights, and in denying certiorari for Silveira v. Lockyer, it certainly permitted what you would call an infringement of rights.

And at that point the only option left is armed revolution. If the Supreme Court, the highest court in the land, doesnt support the Constitution then what avenues are left?

Additionally, no other Right is defined as a "collective" right, I have no idea why anyone would think the 2nd was penned with the intent to be a collective right when all others were penned as individual rights.

No, you misunderstand. The Supreme Court defines what the Consitution means. If they say that the Second Amendment doesn't include an individual right to bear arms, it doesn't.

The Consitution cannot possibly guarantee you a right of armed insurrection. It is inherently illogical to suppose this, and I hope you aren't... A revolution against America, of course, is a revolution against the Consitution and the Second Amendment. There is no valid support for the notion that the Framers intended to support rebellion against local governments, either... It would tend to call into question vertical separation of powers.

Thats not true. Hence the saying "enemies foreign and domestic. The founding Fathers knew very well that government could become too controlling. One reason for the right to bear arms is to overthrow a dictator type government.

No, there is no individual right to bear arms guaranteed by the Constitution. If there were, it certainly would not be in order to overthrow the government. The oath to which you refer certainly does not, when soldiers are sworn in, encourage them to attack the government as a "domestic enemy". :laugh: A domestic enemy could be, for instance, a misguided revolt by the citizenry...

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005

Individuals owning firearms, or individuals banding together and forming militias and owning firearms?

Neither. State militias are largely unnecessary and certainly don't scare the government. Citizens with rifles certainly don't scare the government... it can easily quash any rebellion you can mount.

(tanks + planes + missiles + bombs + rifles + soldiers) > (you + rifles)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Neither. State militias are largely unnecessary and certainly don't scare the government. Citizens with rifles certainly don't scare the government... it can easily quash any rebellion you can mount.

You sound like you are in the Guard or something and remind me of the guy that went nuts in Earthquake against Victoria Principal.

Are you itching to pull the trigger on fellow American citizens?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Yea, I mean, look at Iraq, those guys with rifles stand no chance against our "tanks + planes + missiles + bombs + rifles + soldiers".

Also, look at Vietnam, we really showed them with our "tanks + planes + missiles + bombs + rifles + soldiers".

:roll:

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

You sound like you are in the Guard or something and remind me of the guy that went nuts in Earthquake against Victoria Principal.

Sorry, can't keep up with you in the pop culture area here. I will just note that you are widely known as a wack job on this forum. No, I am not in the Guard or something. It's curious that you don't accuse Specop 007, a borderline revolutionary, of itching to pull the trigger on his fellow citizens if he doesn't get his way.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: eilute
The Second Amendment reads:
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the Right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

One can make the argument that the right only applies to states and their militias. That is the way it reads to me. I don't understand why the court thought otherwise.

So in your opinion it was necessary to add into the Constitution that militia/soldiers had a right to bear arms while in service. That being necessary because in the absence of the 2nd amendment our armies/militia would be composed of unarmed men?

Huh?

Fern

Great point, our resident gun grabber has not addressed this point.

How could someone honestly think that the second amendment was directed towards the modern day national guard?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: eilute
The Second Amendment reads:
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the Right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

One can make the argument that the right only applies to states and their militias. That is the way it reads to me. I don't understand why the court thought otherwise.

People only = State? :confused:

Read Mein Kempf much?

:thumbsup:

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50

Yea, I mean, look at Iraq, those guys with rifles stand no chance against our "tanks + planes + missiles + bombs + rifles + soldiers".

Also, look at Vietnam, we really showed them with our "tanks + planes + missiles + bombs + rifles + soldiers".

I think you were going for the "confused" smiley and got the wrong one. These are completely different from quashing a rebellion here in America. In both cases we were not allowed to take many measures the government would certainly take in quashing a real rebellion, such as forced internment, and the complete armed forces were never deployed in either area. Don't believe me, that's fine... live with your delusions of grandeur.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I think you were going for the "confused" smiley and got the wrong one. These are completely different from quashing a rebellion here in America. In both cases we were not allowed to take many measures the government would certainly take in quashing a real rebellion, such as forced internment, and the complete armed forces were never deployed in either area. Don't believe me, that's fine... live with your delusions of grandeur.

No, I was rolling my eyes at you, hence the smiley...

Vietnam and Iraq are perfect examples of what a determined "militia" can do against the worlds strongest military. Guerilla warfare works, its worked for thousands of years, it will probably always work.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Sorry, can't keep up with you in the pop culture area here. I will just note that you are widely known as a wack job on this forum. No, I am not in the Guard or something. It's curious that you don't accuse Specop 007, a borderline revolutionary, of itching to pull the trigger on his fellow citizens if he doesn't get his way.

Yeah, you're probably not old enough to have seen that movie, it was from the mid 1970's.

Yes, labels are a fun thing, Whack Job, Moron, Asshole, you name it but guess what?

I'm a American and that is the only important "label".

Oh and Spec is certainly right up there along with you.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Vietnam and Iraq are perfect examples of what a determined "militia" can do against the worlds strongest military. Guerilla warfare works, its worked for thousands of years, it will probably always work.

Again, nothing like quashing an armed insurrection here. Measures were not taken that would be taken to quash a rebellion, and the complete force of the military was never brought to bear. Enjoy your delusions.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

Again, nothing like quashing an armed insurrection here. Measures were not taken that would be taken to quash a rebellion, and the complete force of the military was never brought to bear. Enjoy your delusions.

I don't see what that has to do with the right to keep and bear arms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion it isn't like you can't put down a rebellion with muskets and horses.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
Originally posted by: smack Down

I don't see what that has to do with the right to keep and bear arms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion it isn't like you can't put down a rebellion with muskets and horses.

There's a good example, actually. The government did not stand back and permit the lawful exercise of a Constitutional right to revolt. :laugh: And that was when the ink was barely dry on the Constitution.

From that article: "The military suppression of the Whiskey Rebellion set a precedent that U.S. citizens who wished to change the law had to do so peacefully through constitutional means; otherwise, the government would meet any threats to disturb the peace with force."

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Insurgency ONLY works if the superior force refuses to commit genocide. 20 million Russians learned that lesson from Stalin.

You keep growing our government and the abuses of power today will be dwarfed.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Interesting debate Prince and 6000.

I am fascinated by the notions and relationship between law and justice and the evolution of the latter toward the former. Is there nothing truly new in the world or does justice evolve as we do. Are we moving toward an absolute or does justice move around according to changing circumstance. The framers refereed to inalienable rights but were themselves miles away from where we think we are today in insuring them for all people, no? Clearly slaves had a right to freedom when the Constitution was penned and yet they didn't have that freedom in fact. What the framers intended is not what they intended, apparently.

I would speculate that if our culture were to move far in the direction of personal gun violence causing the death of many many members of society who make it a habit to vote, we could see some change in what we now have as rights. I could see a situation in which, without arms, we could similarly move in a direction where we might also have less of other rights. It seems that ultimately our laws are in some ways our effort to make common sense out of change over time. What is absolute changes over time?