The $20M Super Bowl Ad about Jesus (He Gets Us).

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
$20m for a super bowl ad about Jesus. But, it doesn't stop there. Its going to evolve into a $1b Christian ad campaign over the next 3 years.

Imagine what they could do with that money. The people they could help. The less fortunate, and the homeless. The children who go to bed starving every night.

The Super Bowl ads alone will cost about $20 million, according to organizers, who originally described “He Gets Us” as a $100 million effort.
The goal is to invest about a billion dollars over the next three years,” he said. “And that is just the first phase.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Seems to me if they want to spread the gospel there are much cheaper ways to go about doing that. Billboards, radio, etc. Or maybe even NHL games, I presume that's much cheaper. Then keep the rest of the money for missionaries and stuff that can help people.

Reactions: Captante and Pohemi

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Seems to me if they want to spread the gospel there are much cheaper ways to go about doing that. Billboards, radio, etc. Or maybe even NHL games, I presume that's much cheaper. Then keep the rest of the money for missionaries and stuff that can help people.
ghod works in mysterious ways

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Considering most Christians are conservative fake horrible people that just like to dictate morality, hate people and control women, why is this a surprise to you?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
They just showed one of these commercials during the Bader v. Fedor fight. Cringey AF. I hadn't seen an advertisement in ages and this is the crap that they are producing? Only thing that could have made it more cringe, is if they had Joel Olsteen smiling at the end.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'm a pretty hard core agnostic. That's not really saying much because we choose ignorance over any actual "beliefs."

But I recently stumble on an article in a SciAm from last year that explained why our extremely fine-tuned universe is not evidence for the multiverse.

In the process though, a very famous physicist calculated the odds of this very specific sort of universe is only 1 in 10 to the 229th power.

Now, this isn't going to mean much unless you've run into terms like fine structure constant, the Hoyle state and the narrow range of the strong nuclear force, and a few other primary ones. But the bottom line is that each of those has to fall within very narrow ranges. For the Hoyle state, it seems to be under a 0.5% variance.

Now there seem to be any number of arguments against this idea, but it doesn't really change any of the scientifically established facts.

Of course by that very same token, it can't be seen as evidence for any sort of deus ex machina. Even so, when the odds favoring your existence are several hundred orders of magnitude worse than winning the powerball, it's at least cause for pause.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm a pretty hard core agnostic. That's not really saying much because we choose ignorance over any actual "beliefs."

But I recently stumble on an article in a SciAm from last year that explained why our extremely fine-tuned universe is not evidence for the multiverse.

In the process though, a very famous physicist calculated the odds of this very specific sort of universe is only 1 in 10 to the 229th power.

Now, this isn't going to mean much unless you've run into terms like fine structure constant, the Hoyle state and the narrow range of the strong nuclear force, and a few other primary ones. But the bottom line is that each of those has to fall within very narrow ranges. For the Hoyle state, it seems to be under a 0.5% variance.

Now there seem to be any number of arguments against this idea, but it doesn't really change any of the scientifically established facts.

Of course by that very same token, it can't be seen as evidence for any sort of deus ex machina. Even so, when the odds favoring your existence are several hundred orders of magnitude worse than winning the powerball, it's at least cause for pause.

The odds of our universe existing as it is are exactly one and not an infinitesimal less. The argument that it is improbable based on physical constants is a glorified version of the puddle argument.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The odds of our universe existing as it is are exactly one and not an infinitesimal less. The argument that it is improbable based on physical constants is a glorified version of the puddle argument.
Perception is reality rather than vice versa. That is not an unpopular view.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I’ve seen a few of these ads in the past couple months, and as an atheist they have a good message, but seem to go against everything the conservative right wants/believe in.

Yea. This marketing for Jesus is primarily for GenZ and Millennials, because young people have become disinterested in religion. The decline in church attendance is alarming for many Christians, and its only going to get worse. IMO, the internet and the flow of free information is a HUGE thorn for religion. Think about it. In the past, you followed a specific religion because everyone else (family, friends) had the same beliefs. Most people didn't have exposure to other beliefs as well. Now, with the internet that has changed. If you're interested in atheism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. There are YT channels to explore.

Christanity is in a downward spiral and I don't expect that to change. A hip youth oriented ad for Jesus won't sway young people.