The Hackintosh Thread

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm considering the Asus Maximus Gene VIII Z170 mATX board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132569
However, I'd prefer a Gigabyte mATX board with it's dual bios, but with similar features: Realtek 1150 audio, Intel LAN port, & Display port for the Intel graphics.
The closest is Gigabyte's GA-H170N-WIFI, which is an ITX board instead of mATX and has no Display port.

aman74

Mar 12, 2003
Thinking about finally giving this a shot.

A couple basic questions:

-I'm trying to figure out how I want to go about my SSD/HDD purchases. Trying to get speed, backups and flexibility without going broke at the same time. Can and/or should OSX be run on it's own drive separate from the programs? I saw mention of doing it this way to make fresh installs of the OS easier, but I remember from the Windows days that some programs needed to be with the OS. I thought OSX had no problem with this, but I see conflicting information. If it can be done, should it be done?

-When you guys speak of having a backup bootable drive do you mean just a USB stick which I would then boot from and just clone this back to the actual SSD I'd be using? If so is that clone just as stable as a fresh install to the main SSD?

-I'm trying to decide on a MB. Is there any preference towards ASUS or Gigabyte, etc...in the past it seemed Gigabyte was preferred, but now it seems to not matter so much? I just want a board that's the most compatible.

-On the tonymac site it says this for the Mini builds:

"Please note that the motherboard's Intel mini-PCIe card includes both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but only the bluetooth features are available under OS X. If you don't use the PCIe slot, we recommend the TP-Link PCIe card below for native Wi-Fi support. If you're interested in replacing the mini-PCIe card, check out this list of card suggestions. For continuity and handoff support in Yosemite, please see this thread."

For the larger builds it leaves off the first part and says this:

"If you don't use the PCIe slot, we recommend the TP-Link PCIe card below for native Wi-Fi support. For continuity and handoff support in Yosemite, please see this thread."

Oh boy...I have a lot of confusion over this...stemming mainly from the fact that I am years behind hardware standards knowledge and in part because there description is vague. The last time I built a PC there wasn't even PCI-E, so I don't really know what these half-cards are, etc...

-Why does it say "if you don't use the PCI-E slot? Those boards have more then one slot anyhow...

-It says if you're interested in replacing the mini PCI-E card to check out these suggestions....so those cards would have working BT and WiFi and the Handoff and Continuity features mentioned later? The only boards that are going to have these mini PCI-E ports are the boards with the onboard Wifi/BT and I'd be pulling out there's and that's where this would go?

-I don't really understand what's going in in the continuity and handoff thread with the adapters and such. I'm sure I could easily follow it if they just had a few blurbs for newbies before they just jump right in. Not too beginner friendly. I'm sure this is all relatively simple, but it can be bewildering when you're out of the game for so long and also tackling something like a Hackintosh for the first time.

I just want to have everything working as it should and as close to the real deal as possible.

I guess they're saying onboard BT works, but Wifi doesn't and to then get a card...but then it's muddled with all the other options...and then they talk about the Handoff and Continuity features, but don't say if using the onboard BT and getting the regular PCI-E card would allow that to work.

I've seen other posts where people say both onboard WiFi and BT work, but then they don't mention Handoff and Continuity...

Sorry for all the questions, but I've got to get this sorted and knowing this will not only obviously be necessary for the install, but I need to know this stuff so that I can figure out my MB and card purchases.

Thanks so much!

itpromike

Aug 26, 2012
Man I'm so close to ordering and awesome system from Maingear and throwing OS X on it... I have an old 2008 Mac Pro and I've been itching for a new machine but the new Mac Pro's just don't do it for me in terms of driver support and performance so I'm left with the hackintosh approach... I'm just scared to pull the trigger. I'd definitely want a system that can run 24/7 without random issues and I don't want to have issues with being able to install timely updates etc... but it seems like nowadays with Hackintosh that shouldn't be an issue as long as you buy the right base parts.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Thinking about finally giving this a shot.

A couple basic questions:

Q. I'm trying to figure out how I want to go about my SSD/HDD purchases. Trying to get speed, backups and flexibility without going broke at the same time. Can and/or should OSX be run on it's own drive separate from the programs? I saw mention of doing it this way to make fresh installs of the OS easier, but I remember from the Windows days that some programs needed to be with the OS. I thought OSX had no problem with this, but I see conflicting information. If it can be done, should it be done?

A. My preference is to run OSX on a separate drive. My additional preference is to keep the Hackintosh files on a USB boot stick, which contains the bootloader. This allows the OSX drive to remain 100% stock Mac (you can literally swap it into a real Mac if needed). This isn't the right option for everyone, but I like the "vanilla" aspect of having an untouched Mac drive. Also, the bootloader lets you select Windows or Mac (or other) at bootup, which is convenient for booting into say a Windows 10 drive.

One thing to consider would be getting a couple of $99 solid-state drives (250 gigs at that price), one for Windows & one for Mac, and then a data storage drive. You can install Paragon NTFS for Mac under OSX to read Windows drivers or MacDrive under Windows to read Mac drives. Here's a good solid-state drive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAJ412U

Storage is cheap these days too. An internal 8TB drive is $249:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Archive-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B00TJUXCA2

Q. When you guys speak of having a backup bootable drive do you mean just a USB stick which I would then boot from and just clone this back to the actual SSD I'd be using? If so is that clone just as stable as a fresh install to the main SSD?

A. Basically, you never know if an update is going to break something on a Hackintosh. For convenience, get a cheap backup drive and clone your main install to it, then run the update on your boot drive. That way, if your boot drive is unbootable after the update, you can just boot up to the backup drive & clone it back to the boot drive to recover your system. A 500-gig drive is under fifty bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Drives-Notebook-WD5000LPVX/dp/B00C9TECFO/

Q. I'm trying to decide on a MB. Is there any preference towards ASUS or Gigabyte, etc...in the past it seemed Gigabyte was preferred, but now it seems to not matter so much? I just want a board that's the most compatible.

A. Gigabyte generally has the most compatible hardware for Hackintosh. The key idea of Hackintosh is getting OSX to run on PC parts; the catch is that everything still needs a driver. Gigabyte boards share a lot of hardware with Intel Macs, so drivers already exist for the shared parts, which makes installation a lot easier. If you're careful about choosing a board & add-on cards, you won't even have to install anything special to get it working. I'd imagine an October list is due any time now, but the September hardware compatibility list is still relevant:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-september-2015.html

Typically, you want to get hardware that is one generation behind. That gives Apple a chance to release updated hardware, with updated drivers, which gives the last-generation hardware better support. The newer stuff that just came out typically needs hacks to get working, so it's more of a headache & sometimes less stable & can have fewer features due to lack of support.

Q. On the tonymac site it says this for the Mini builds:

"Please note that the motherboard's Intel mini-PCIe card includes both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but only the bluetooth features are available under OS X. If you don't use the PCIe slot, we recommend the TP-Link PCIe card below for native Wi-Fi support. If you're interested in replacing the mini-PCIe card, check out this list of card suggestions. For continuity and handoff support in Yosemite, please see this thread."

For the larger builds it leaves off the first part and says this:

"If you don't use the PCIe slot, we recommend the TP-Link PCIe card below for native Wi-Fi support. For continuity and handoff support in Yosemite, please see this thread."

Oh boy...I have a lot of confusion over this...stemming mainly from the fact that I am years behind hardware standards knowledge and in part because there description is vague. The last time I built a PC there wasn't even PCI-E, so I don't really know what these half-cards are, etc...

-Why does it say "if you don't use the PCI-E slot? Those boards have more then one slot anyhow...

-It says if you're interested in replacing the mini PCI-E card to check out these suggestions....so those cards would have working BT and WiFi and the Handoff and Continuity features mentioned later? The only boards that are going to have these mini PCI-E ports are the boards with the onboard Wifi/BT and I'd be pulling out there's and that's where this would go?

A. Basically, some of the mini boards come with a Mini-PCIe combo card that contains both Bluetooth & Wifi. However, there is no Wifi driver for the card, so only the Bluetooth part of the chip will function under Hackintosh. Since it is a mini board, it only has one full-sized PCIe port, which most people use for graphics cards (unless you're OK with using the onboard integrated graphics that come with the CPU). If you're not planning on an aftermarket GPU, then you can use a full-sized TP-Link PCIe Wifi card to get wireless working. So it's basically a workaround since the onboard Wifi isn't functional under Hackintosh, but then you can't put in a beefier GPU. That's the catch of having a mini board. There are also some USB Wifi adapters available, although they are not natively recognized & require the installation of a driver & SSID scanner program (for example, Edimax has a small USB Wifi adapter that I believe uses the Realtek driver for wireless hookup).

Personally, I like to run things vanilla (stock) as much as possible. That means buying a very compatible motherboard, native video card, native wireless card or Ethernet card (if onboard Ethernet isn't natively supported), using a USB stick for the bootloader (in order to keep the hard drive 100% Mac-only), etc. That's not a requirement for everyone, but it certainly makes things easier in a number of ways. If you DO need to pop your drive in a Mac, you can, or vice-versa (like if your system craps out & you still need access to your drive). You also don't have to re-install the bootloader to the boot drive after doing a clone, since it's located separately on the USB stick. You don't have to set the order of the drives in the BIOS since you can set it to boot to the USB stick, and then choose your Windows or your Mac drive from there. I like the convenience of that setup.

If you don't mind a tiny bit of a larger system, check out the mATX boards like the Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H. That gives you some additional PCIe & PCI ports to work with. Oh, and I also use USB audio (Syba sticks are around $10 a pop & give nice clean audio natively), so I never have to mess with installing hardware drivers for the system itself. Might also be worth starting out with Mavericks, as El Capitan is pretty new & they are working through the update issues right now:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...st-solutions-el-capitan-install-problems.html

aman74

Mar 12, 2003
I couldn't quote that format properly, it only showed my initial questions and not your replies. Let's hope my copy and past job works out ok. ;)

A. My preference is to run OSX on a separate drive. My additional preference is to keep the Hackintosh files on a USB boot stick, which contains the bootloader. This allows the OSX drive to remain 100% stock Mac (you can literally swap it into a real Mac if needed). This isn't the right option for everyone, but I like the "vanilla" aspect of having an untouched Mac drive. Also, the bootloader lets you select Windows or Mac (or other) at bootup, which is convenient for booting into say a Windows 10 drive.

One thing to consider would be getting a couple of $99 solid-state drives (250 gigs at that price), one for Windows & one for Mac, and then a data storage drive. You can install Paragon NTFS for Mac under OSX to read Windows drivers or MacDrive under Windows to read Mac drives. Here's a good solid-state drive:

I think part of the confusion here is probably my fault...I was typing late and I'm not the most concise person. ;)

I'm not too worried about Windows at the moment. I'm on a Mac now and no longer dual boot. My question was about whether or not I can keep just OSX on a separate drive from the programs. I've heard it recommended to do that way so that you can easily do a fresh install of just the OS and not have to reload programs, etc...then I heard that the programs like to be actually with the OS on the same drive. I believe Windows was that way in the past at least.

I recall your past posts about keeping the "hack" files on a separate USB. I like the sound of going this route, but I wouldn't know how to accomplish that. I'm going to follow the Tonymac unibeast/clover guide and unless someone tells me how to add that step properly I won't know what to do.

A. Basically, you never know if an update is going to break something on a Hackintosh. For convenience, get a cheap backup drive and clone your main install to it, then run the update on your boot drive. That way, if your boot drive is unbootable after the update, you can just boot up to the backup drive & clone it back to the boot drive to recover your system. A 500-gig drive is under fifty bucks:

So it has to reside on it's own drive?...it couldn't be a clone just onto whatever I'm using for backups and data?

A. Gigabyte generally has the most compatible hardware for Hackintosh. The key idea of Hackintosh is getting OSX to run on PC parts; the catch is that everything still needs a driver. Gigabyte boards share a lot of hardware with Intel Macs, so drivers already exist for the shared parts, which makes installation a lot easier. If you're careful about choosing a board & add-on cards, you won't even have to install anything special to get it working. I'd imagine an October list is due any time now, but the September hardware compatibility list is still relevant:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-c...mber-2015.html

Typically, you want to get hardware that is one generation behind. That gives Apple a chance to release updated hardware, with updated drivers, which gives the last-generation hardware better support. The newer stuff that just came out typically needs hacks to get working, so it's more of a headache & sometimes less stable & can have fewer features due to lack of support.

Ok, just wasn't sure if that was still the case and not sure which parts your referring to as there are now a lot of cases where the audio and networking chipsets might actually be more compatible with a particular Asus board...its seems to vary from board to board. So maybe you're talking about other chipsets? Maybe there's something I can look out for?

I had heard it didn't matter nowadays because of unlocked MSR's...not sure I have that right or what it is.

Yeah, I was planning on going with Z97 and not doing Skylake even if OSX supports it by the time I'm ready to purchase...however, I think, but am not sure, that Z97 is not natively supported by OSX? I'm not sure any hardware came out with that chipset, but maybe it did, I know it was Z87 only for a long time and X99 is still not supported officially.

A. Basically, some of the mini boards come with a Mini-PCIe combo card that contains both Bluetooth & Wifi. However, there is no Wifi driver for the card, so only the Bluetooth part of the chip will function under Hackintosh. Since it is a mini board, it only has one full-sized PCIe port, which most people use for graphics cards (unless you're OK with using the onboard integrated graphics that come with the CPU). If you're not planning on an aftermarket GPU, then you can use a full-sized TP-Link PCIe Wifi card to get wireless working. So it's basically a workaround since the onboard Wifi isn't functional under Hackintosh, but then you can't put in a beefier GPU. That's the catch of having a mini board. There are also some USB Wifi adapters available, although they are not natively recognized & require the installation of a driver & SSID scanner program (for example, Edimax has a small USB Wifi adapter that I believe uses the Realtek driver for wireless hookup).

Now we're getting somewhere! This helps a lot. I had figured out part of it, but not all and also wasn't sure. Part of what made me doubt what I was thinking was that it still says "if you don't use the PCI-E card" bit for mATX and it's only ITX that has one slot....so still foggy there. Perhaps it's poor wording or a mistake on tonymac's site.

I get the basics now, but then comes the continuity and handoff part...if I want that I don't think I can use the onboard BT and the PCI-E full WiFi card for that? So it seems then it's back to taking out the mini card and then using something like they've rigged together in that link? I think some people even sell it with it all done for you and it would give me native BT/WiFi for basic use in addition to the continuity and handoff stuff?

Personally, I like to run things vanilla (stock) as much as possible. That means buying a very compatible motherboard, native video card, native wireless card or Ethernet card (if onboard Ethernet isn't natively supported), using a USB stick for the bootloader (in order to keep the hard drive 100% Mac-only), etc. That's not a requirement for everyone, but it certainly makes things easier in a number of ways. If you DO need to pop your drive in a Mac, you can, or vice-versa (like if your system craps out & you still need access to your drive). You also don't have to re-install the bootloader to the boot drive after doing a clone, since it's located separately on the USB stick. You don't have to set the order of the drives in the BIOS since you can set it to boot to the USB stick, and then choose your Windows or your Mac drive from there. I like the convenience of that setup.

Which drive is being referred to as "your drive"? The back up drive with the clone on it?

I want to do this the way you're describing for sure....especially the Vanilla and Native route.

If you don't mind a tiny bit of a larger system, check out the mATX boards like the Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H. That gives you some additional PCIe & PCI ports to work with. Oh, and I also use USB audio (Syba sticks are around $10 a pop & give nice clean audio natively), so I never have to mess with installing hardware drivers for the system itself. Might also be worth starting out with Mavericks, as El Capitan is pretty new & they are working through the update issues right now:

I am thinking or mATX and possibly ATX...I like the idea of a small case, but I'm more into the idea of a roomy, quiet case and a MB that has enough slots where I could add a GPU and a board that runs TB or whatever else may pop up down the road that I might need as I like to keep systems for a long time. Wanting to go for longevity is the only thing really making me thinking of waiting a bit to see how Skylake pans out.

Thanks for the tip on the USB stick that would work. I'll be using an audio interface for my audio, but I don't know if those work natively or what so that's good to know there's a cheap native option.

What about Yosemite...seems pretty good, no?

Thanks so much for all your help. You have no idea how grateful I am and how much this helps me sort through all this!

aman74

Mar 12, 2003
Follow-up on the BT/WiFi situation...

I get the basics, but the lack of documentation is still frustrating so I'm gonna backtrack here and try to clear some more things up and also ask if the conclusion I came to is correct.

I've spent days on this and think it could be so much easier. Part of the reason for me to try and sort all this out, even if I think I found a more direct path (talked about at the end) is so that others like me might see this and get something out of it. I don't think I could do a little guide on understanding all this, but someone might or the tonymac site may make some revisions. He seems to be wanting to make this as simple as possible so I think he should be open to improvements.

Back to the customac guide quote:

"Please note that the motherboard's Intel mini-PCIe card includes both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but only the bluetooth features are available under OS X."

-Unclear if that means BT will have continuity, airport and handoff...it could be a "depends on your MB", but I have no idea if it's possible or not. They should also then explain about the mini-PCIe and how that is the part they're talking about replacing with the cards, etc...would clear this up a bit. I know most people attempting this are a little more up on the basics, but I've seen posts by a lot of folks like me who have built PC's in the past, and/or have the aptitude to do it and just need a little update and more concise information.

"If you don't use the PCIe slot, we recommend the TP-Link PCIe card below for native Wi-Fi support."

Again, does that mean continuity, etc...? I assume so if it says native, but then one is left wondering when they finish up the paragraph with ways to get those functions. What a mess.

"If you're interested in replacing the mini-PCIe card, check out this list of card suggestions. For continuity and handoff support in Yosemite, please see this thread."

The links that should be there:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/104850-guide-airport-pcie-half-mini-v2.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...apple-mini-cards-pcie-mini-pcie-adapters.html

Those threads seem to be talking about the exact same thing, no? One is led to believe it's significantly different and this leads to confusion.

So I found these on ebay through those links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-BCM94...rd-/390961471442?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111466486967?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Put those together and Bob's your uncle?

Same exact thing as this?: http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...-bluetooth-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh

How come this part is more and comes with less?: http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...-4-0-with-adapter-for-imac-2007-and-imac-2008

So it seems to me that the simplest way is to get those two pieces from ebay as they look to be the same as from the osxwifi store and save some money? They just snap together I assume?

How do the MB mini cards usually work if they're right on the board as I'd imagine you still need those antennas? I'm wondering if the MB's usually come with some sort of breakout cable that attaches to the antennas you put in the PCIe slot on the back of the computer like the one in the ebay listing.

This seems like the way to go, but at the same time, if I get a board that happens to have a card on it I'd like to know if I can just use that for BT and by the WiFi card listed in the buyers guide. I have no clue...

Thanks again!

aman74

Mar 12, 2003
Maybe somebody else?

I think I might just start ordering stuff and hope for the best. What about keyboards and mice though...I don't know if wireless will work to get it going? USB? PS/2?

I just saw mention on another forum where a guy said he got a wireless kb that wasn't BT so it wouldn't interfere with Chameleon? What other wireless is there besides BT and why would it interfere with a Hackintosh tool?

aman74

Mar 12, 2003
If someone could please just help with one question, that would be awesome. I need to finish ordering and also need to know if I have to return my MB.

In this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1...apple-mini-cards-pcie-mini-pcie-adapters.html

It says this:

"Both cards work fine with the mini-PCIe adapter as well- however you need to make sure your motherboard (I used an ITX with built in mini-PCIe slot) is fully bluetooth powered."

It makes it sound as if the board has to have BT on it already in order for this to work. If that's the case I need a different MB.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
you guys know if there is an aftermarket for hackintoshes?

i'm going to be picking up a macbook pro and i have an hp4540s hackintosh with yosemite on it right now, and just curious if this is even worth selling.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
you guys know if there is an aftermarket for hackintoshes?

i'm going to be picking up a macbook pro and i have an hp4540s hackintosh with yosemite on it right now, and just curious if this is even worth selling.

It's worth selling as a PC laptop, sure.

Personally, I don't think there's any real selling point to it having been Hackintoshed. The type of person tech saavy enough to be into Hackintoshing would know what the deal is and not really be all that wowed just because OSX is running on a PC laptop.

Someone who would actually be into that because wow its OSX on non-Apple hardware likely wouldn't be tech saavy enough to deal with running a Hack and would Bork it up in no time, ie: kinda underhanded to sell to such people without serious disclaimer.

Also, charging more just because it has OSX to me is underhanded.

I'd put it on eBay or Craigslist as a windows laptop that a lot more potential buyers would understand and be happy with and able to use as intended.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I had my mind blown today by my buddy @jasonfoley - there have been some huge advances in virtualization that I had nooooooooo idea about! In a nutshell, unRAID (OS) acts like ESXi, except it has simple pass-through for GPU's & other devices. I've do VM's of OSX before, but the limitation, particularly under Windows, is lack of support for the emulated GPU & lack of ability to pass-through a dedicated GPU. NOT SO ANYMORE! Read up here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13862.0

For a sample visual, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJYMCbIbPk

One computer, two GPU's, two virtual machines running under the hypervisor, and two physically-connected keyboards, mice, and screens. But instead of Windows & Windows, you could do Windows & OSX, or whatever you wanted! Definitely going to have to give this a try sometime, crazy!

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
There's a bug in the latest version of Unibeast that prevents you from creating an install disk.

Is there anyone who's successfully made a hackintosh running 10.11.3?

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
There's a bug in the latest version of Unibeast that prevents you from creating an install disk.

Is there anyone who's successfully made a hackintosh running 10.11.3?

Did mine via updates. 10.11, then 10.11.1 and lately 10.11.4 (Update Developer Beta 3). Booting via Clover 3259.
PNY GT 430 graphics card (PNY VCGGT4302XPB-low profile) incorrectly identified as 1024mb when it's actually 2048mb.

My post from June 2015--> http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37487140&postcount=549
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-09%20at%201.59.50%20PM.png

Last edited:

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Did mine via updates. 10.11, then 10.11.1 and lately 10.11.4 (Update Developer Beta 3). Booting via Clover 3259.
PNY GT 430 graphics card (PNY VCGGT4302XPB-low profile) incorrectly identified as 1024mb when it's actually 2048mb.

My post from June 2015--> http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37487140&postcount=549
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-09%20at%201.59.50%20PM.png

Did you use Unibeast or just install it manually? Did you upgrade straight to 10.11.3 right on the machine?

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Did you use Unibeast or just install it manually? Did you upgrade straight to 10.11.3 right on the machine?

Used Unibeast 6.1 on the install, then upgrades via Apple. Skipped 10.11.3. Created the Bootable USB with Yosemite 10.10.3 (see sig).
Wanted to test El Capitan on an old 2009 SFF (Acer Veriton X480G) that I got for $30 and was surprised that it actually booted to desktop, but as I mentioned no audio.
A bluetooth speaker fixed that.

I still haven't figured out how to upgrade to El Capitan on my X79 pcs (Asus and Gigabyte), one with a R9 290X.

Last edited:

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Used Unibeast 6.1 on the install, then upgrades via Apple. Skipped 10.11.3. Created the Bootable USB with Yosemite 10.10.3 (see sig).
Wanted to test El Capitan on an old 2009 SFF (Acer Veriton X480G) that I got for $30 and was surprised that it actually booted to desktop, but as I mentioned no audio.
A bluetooth speaker fixed that.

I still haven't figured out how to upgrade to El Capitan on my X79 pcs (Asus and Gigabyte), one with a R9 290X.

Here's a pretty thorough X79 guide http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=144

Couldn't get it to work though. Encounter a �� symbol halfway through the boot.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I should probably make a 2016 thread eh :D

Skylake support added:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/skylake-status-update-10-11-4.192297/

* 10.11.4 El Capitan OS X installer support
* 4ghz i7-6700K Skylake CPU supported
* Artifact-free HD 530
* Up to 64 gigs of RAM (~$250 for DDR4)
* Currently up to a GTX980 Ti or Titan X for max GPU
* 4K support via NVIDIA 9xx GPU (using HDMI or DisplayPort connectors)

I haven't kept up on all of the latest developments, but as of December, they had NVMe drives working:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvme-on-a-hackintosh.173230/page-3#post-1172235

There's also a driver available here:

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

Readme here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/e...ards-com-works-gigabyte-gaming-g1-m-2.181231/

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Just got my Desktop up and running on El Capitan. It was shockingly easy. I use VMWare Fusion on my Macbook for virtualizing Boot Camp, and the same setup works on my Desktop! I love running the Windows partition as a virtual machine in OS X.

I also got my old Lenovo Y550P fully functional on 10.7 again. That was far more difficult. Getting everything working on a laptop is a nightmare imo. I remember Kernel Panic after Kernel Panic just trying to get each component to work. I gave up trying to get it working past 10.7. It runs beautifully on Lion, fortunately.

It turns out the Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi AC) is perfect for a Hackintosh. I was able to get everything functional except for Audio with Multibeast. Audio was an easy fix by googling an updated ALC1150 kext. The installation was easier than setting up Ubuntu; seriously! If I ever screw up, I have my Time Machine all backed up and ready to go. I also have my Clover USB drive as an emergency booting tool for quick fixes. I am am definitely switching to OS X on my desktop as the daily driver.

I am now wary of selling my R9 290 just because I don't want to lose GPU support. It sounds like Polaris support will be added this Fall, but definitely not in the next few weeks... Pascal support is still MIA as well... Being on OS X as a primary OS means I cannot upgrade my GPU until the newer GPU's are fully supported!

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
Just got my Desktop up and running on El Capitan. It was shockingly easy. I use VMWare Fusion on my Macbook for virtualizing Boot Camp, and the same setup works on my Desktop! I love running the Windows partition as a virtual machine in OS X.

I also got my old Lenovo Y550P fully functional on 10.7 again. That was far more difficult. Getting everything working on a laptop is a nightmare imo. I remember Kernel Panic after Kernel Panic just trying to get each component to work. I gave up trying to get it working past 10.7. It runs beautifully on Lion, fortunately.

It turns out the Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi AC) is perfect for a Hackintosh. I was able to get everything functional except for Audio with Multibeast. Audio was an easy fix by googling an updated ALC1150 kext. The installation was easier than setting up Ubuntu; seriously! If I ever screw up, I have my Time Machine all backed up and ready to go. I also have my Clover USB drive as an emergency booting tool for quick fixes. I am am definitely switching to OS X on my desktop as the daily driver.

I am now wary of selling my R9 290 just because I don't want to lose GPU support. It sounds like Polaris support will be added this Fall, but definitely not in the next few weeks... Pascal support is still MIA as well... Being on OS X as a primary OS means I cannot upgrade my GPU until the newer GPU's are fully supported!

I would use OSX as my daily OS too if it weren't for the occasional PC gaming that I like to do. I was a complete newbie to the Hackintosh scene, and I too, found it quite easy to get my build up and running. The trick is using a motherboard where someone in the Hackintosh community already has done the legwork for you. Luckily my Z170N-Wifi is functionally the same as the H170N-Wifi (cept for the O/C part) right down to the port and backplate layout.

Now only if they would get the sleep function working correctly with the (Skylake) HD530 graphics...

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I would use OSX as my daily OS too if it weren't for the occasional PC gaming that I like to do. I was a complete newbie to the Hackintosh scene, and I too, found it quite easy to get my build up and running. The trick is using a motherboard where someone in the Hackintosh community already has done the legwork for you. Luckily my Z170N-Wifi is functionally the same as the H170N-Wifi (cept for the O/C part) right down to the port and backplate layout.

Now only if they would get the sleep function working correctly with the (Skylake) HD530 graphics...

I doubt I could ever go without Windows... I am running the same setup I have been on since my old Lenovo. I format my drive and set up a GUID Partition Table. I then create 2 partitions (using OS X Installer Disk Utility) to dual boot OS X and Windows from the same SSD, and use the Clover bootloader(or Chimera on 10.7) to choose Windows or OS X on startup.

In OS X, I virtualize my Windows partition, letting me do everything I normally do in Windows. I am surprised at how much grunt the R9 290 has for games on virtual Windows. If I want to go back to Native Windows, I reboot and choose Windows. This setup lets me drag and drop files back and forth the two OS's as well as multitask far more efficiently. I can't go back!

Sleep is a major issue for a lot of Hackintoshes. It took me weeks to get it working on my Lenovo laptop. On the Z97 desktop, sleep is very buggy. I can tell it to go to sleep, but it may or may not wake! If it does wake, I will probably have audio issues or just a black screen. Borked sleep is the only feature I can live without on Desktop. My Lenovo's 1 hour battery life meant sleep was a necessity to get working. I have awful experiences with sleep and power management kext's and Kernel Panics...

On a related note, this was my first time creating a Hackintosh with the assist of my Macbook Pro. Having an OS X equipped device allowed me to set up my Desktop far faster. I needed to create several USB sticks between my desktop and laptop and OS X was the requirement to do so. I remember having to burn CD's and swap them out at the Bootloader. Those days are long gone!

edit: Some observations:
Sleep is still broken, but Standby mode isn't! This means that if I put the desktop to sleep longer than 1 hour (default), I can wake it back up with fully functioning audio. Glad I found that out by accident. I may try to change it so Standby mode occurs far earlier in Sleep. I have read about how AMD GPU's and Series 9 motherboard are basically SOL regarding sleep. I haven't read anything about Standby mode though...

VMWare Fusion breaks my bootloader every time I boot into the "Bootcamp" partition via virtualization. If I select the Windows Boot Manager on boot, I can boot into Windows. Afterwards, I can select Windows in the Clover boot loader as before.

Last edited: