The 10 Best Engines of the 20th Century

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
What would be YOUR pick?

It took a century for automotive engines to mature from cantankerous contraptions to the smooth, reliable machinery that currently enables our mobility. The following honor roll celebrates the 10 best - those engines that motored far beyond the call of duty to advance the internal-combustion cause.

Link

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I like the later small blocks from GM and Ford...

302W, 351W, 350...all great motors that are still in use today, and can make a wide range of power depending on how they are built...

:)

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
What no GM Quad-4? These people have no idea what they're talking about. ;)

gabemcg

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Woooohoooo!

My 3800 Series II is on the list.

Yay for Bonnevilles!!!!!! great engine btw... (the trans is another story)

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Wahsapa
good article

:thumbsup:

Kind of sparse in terms of the jargon that makes us all feel giddy inside:(

Although it is techincally pointless I like naration in my car articles to at least a limted extent. Motoring is historyin the making, and if the writer jsut writes down facts without a steady narative to achieve a climax, I come out of it with facts but no passion:(

A wealth of info in that though like I eluded to.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: kogase
Quake. Hands down.

Definatly. It was a MASSIVE improvement vs everything else out at the time. Duke 3d was tons of fun, but on a technical level, it can't even BEGIN to compete with Quake.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibsons
Rolls Royce Merlin 65. Or was this just car engines?

I agree. That engine won fvking wars on its back will shoveling coals in the siberian mines....okay maybe not, but it defeinitely won wars...that's for DAMN sure.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Quake. Hands down.

Definatly. It was a MASSIVE improvement vs everything else out at the time. Duke 3d was tons of fun, but on a technical level, it can't even BEGIN to compete with Quake.

The boobage factor of Duke wouldn't be rivaled for many years to come though...:p

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
Quake. Hands down.

The boobage factor of Duke wouldn't be rivaled for many years to come though...:p

Hmm ... if 2D rendered low resolution animated sprites is your thing ... then so be it, but generally, I don't seek boobage inside my Games. I generally find boobage is the most prevalent in the "pron" section.