The #1 North Korea 2013 tension thread [with rolling updates!]

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

LOL indeed.

"Now we shall bring fiery death to Washing D.C., those oppressors who unfairly - what? What do you mean there's no nuclear warhead? Well, hurry up and put one in. What? What do you mean it won't fit? Well, get out the big rocket, I wanna nuke D.C. What? What do you mean the big rocket can't hit D.C.? Shit. Put it back inside, this is just embarrassing."

The other scenario I can see is Little Kim raising the missile and screaming "See my big Dong, world! Okay, now put it back up and fetch my Twinkies."

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I wonder if this is effectively the climax of this 2013 spring NK tension?

It looks like NK got lashed out by China privately. It may just fizzle from here after the Kim Il Sung's birthday (4/15- their biggest national holiday).

I sure hope so.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Drudge Headline: "They have nukes!"

No shit Sherlock.

The issue is we were told that their delivery system was not up to par but sadly as we see here now we know that was a total lie told to the public by "experts".

Anyways I'll say this again Appeasement does not work when you are dealing with a toxic totalitarian and belligerent nation.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
There will be a coup in the next 3 years. There are a lot of unhappy people within and without the regime.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Still no attack yet, just waiting for the false flag to drop at this point.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
One can only hope. I wish it would happen sooner.

Yeah, in order to keep the military happy after he came to power, Kim Jung Il officially implemented the Songun Policy. This was an appeasement measure to prevent a coup. When the new one came into power there were more grumbles. So far those grumbles have no quieted down...

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Still no attack yet, just waiting for the false flag to drop at this point.

And how will you know that it is a false flag.
# killed
Who is killed?
Who is attacked
Type of attack?
What is attacked?
Length of conflict?

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
One can only hope. I wish it would happen sooner.

Normally I would disagree to a certain extent, given that the world generally knows how a dictator acts and can act to contain or slowly diminish his power. But this situation is growing quickly out of control...at this point, it almost cannot be worse.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
I have read many times that North Korea has the ability to level Seoul, or at least inflict substantial damage, via artillery based along the border.

Given that Seoul is about 30-35 miles from the border, how is this possible? Even the US Army's latest artillery piece, the M777 Howitzer, has an effective range of about 15 miles. And I assume North Korea artillery is old USSR stuff.

So unless I am missing something, I can only conclude that this popular notion of the DPRK's abilty to flatten Seoul via artillery is erroneous.

Am I missing something? Or am I correct for once? :)

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
I have read many times that North Korea has the ability to level Seoul, or at least inflict substantial damage, via artillery based along the border.

Given that Seoul is about 30-35 miles from the border, how is this possible? Even the US Army's latest artillery piece, the M777 Howitzer, has an effective range of about 15 miles. And I assume North Korea artillery is old USSR stuff.

So unless I am missing something, I can only conclude that this popular notion of the DPRK's abilty to flatten Seoul via artillery is erroneous.

From my understanding it's not traditional artillery they use, but rocket assisted projectiles. No matter what they use, the threat is very real or we wouldn't give a damn what they threaten to do.

Last edited:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Oh no, we are all gonna die at the hand of a country that cannot even fly a missile over a few hundred miles!!!! FEAR FEAR FEAR do what your government tells you, this is not a scam to cover up what we are really trying to do FEAR FEAR FEAR....

mmmm hmmmm...

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Oh no, we are all gonna die at the hand of a country that cannot even fly a missile over a few hundred miles!!!! FEAR FEAR FEAR do what your government tells you, this is not a scam to cover up what we are really trying to do FEAR FEAR FEAR....

mmmm hmmmm...

No one said they believed it. That doesn't mean North Korea didn't say it, which is amusing more than anything.

Regardless, being a NK discussion thread, it's worth discussing.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

mmmm hmmmm...

Ok what are "we really trying to do"?

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

your analysis is correct. See above a link to an article at Nautilus that somebody posted. NK cannot flatten Seoul in any definition of the word.

China wants NK to not have a nuke: http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.h...ge_html_page_22995_content_91913386_pageNum_1

----------

Prodigy I think you are misinterpreting much of this thread. Speaking for myself I feel NK offers no risk to the US and is 99% bark. Their regime is entertainment only--at least as far as their threats are concerned. From a human rights perspective it is not entertaining obviously.