The 1% are really raking it in

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
5-1-2014

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-really-raking-oecd-report-154100959.html

The 1% are really raking it in

Shocker: The rich are doing much better than everyone else.

From 1981 to 2012, the share of income that the top 1% of Americans take in has more than doubled, according to a new report from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. The rich now earn about 20% of all pre-tax income in the United States, up from 8% in 1981.

The report called the increase "spectacular," and noted that the share of income going to the super rich -- the top 0.1% of U.S. earners -- has more than quadrupled over the 30 years since 1980.

The report attributes the rise to a few factors, including globalization, technological advancement, huge cuts in top tax rates and changes in the way companies pay their top executives.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Amazing what can be accomplished by working, instead of posting all day.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
It's OK, because they will create even MORE jobs with that additional wealth. They just need to gather a little more, that's it,.. so EVERYONE can have a job!

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Call up the messiah and have him stop the monthly payments to wall street.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Has the rest figured out what to do about yet?
Let's see.. spend my life fretting like a loonbag over what other people have...

Or do something about my own financial situation for myself..

Gee! That's such a tough choice.

We all can clearly see which course you thought would be a better way to blow your time.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Maybe you should start your own business and create jobs, then you could set the example for all to follow rather than piss and moan about it.

Well, that means I have to work,... and, we all know liberals/progressives never work. They just wait around and expect things to be handed to them.

Part of the whole, we want stuff, attitude we have in our DNA.

So, give me my own business and even though I would claim to create jobs, I'll just use the money to buy drugs, tattoos, iPhones, abortions, etc., etc.,.. you know, the usual.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Well, that means I have to work,... and, we all know liberals/progressives never work. They just wait around and expect things to be handed to them.

Part of the whole, we want stuff, attitude we have in our DNA.

So, give me my own business and even though I would claim to create jobs, I'll just use the money to buy drugs, tattoos, iPhones, abortions, etc., etc.,.. you know, the usual.

You think you are being facetious but you really aren't.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I don't have a problem with people working hard and actually creating things and becoming wealthy, but the 1% are not creating anything. It is all mostly wallstreet, shareholders, gaming the banking business in such a corrupt fashion that they literally steal from regular people. Bankrupting small businesses chopping them up and selling them. These are the people who do nothing but take take take, and do not give back to the economy at all. And they have bought and paid for congressmen and lobbyists, and judges in their back pockets. They are nothing more than organized crime in my book honestly with Government backing them.

Here is a good article from Business Insider: Rich People Actually Don't create the jobs

And this old tried but true youtube video by Nick hanauer The Rich do not create jobs

By the way this is an easy to read and understand Fantastic book on this entire subject: http://greedybastards.com/ you can buy this book anywhere and get it on kindle. Really easy to read and engaging, and will definitely open a lot of peoples eyes.

Last edited:

Tech_Greek

Sep 18, 2011
The only people trying to shut down my small business would be the government and their Ludacris requirements to operate.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
The only people trying to shut down my small business would be the government and their Ludacris requirements to operate.

I don't know what your business is so its hard to talk about it and the requirements without knowing what those are.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
IT Consulting

Ah just realized your avatar. Yea, I agree that their are some really stupid government laws with regard to IT computer repair, and especially in Texas where as of 2008 every computer repair technician is required to have a private investigator license! http://www.ij.org/rife-v-texas-private-security-board-economic-liberty

There are no doubt many state laws that are utterly insane, that try to over regulate small businesses, but that has nothing to do with this original post about the 1% as in mega wealthy wall street fat cats , and corrupt businessmen that literally game the system and steal from America.

Edit: but just so you know I do agree with some of the ridiculous red tape involved for many small businesses. Here is where I got that info from btw Business insider 12 ridiculous government regulations

Last edited:

Tech_Greek

Sep 18, 2011
Yes indeed however I was referring more towards the IRS, State, Local and everything you have to keep up with as small business owners - corporations have the capital to just hire departments of people to handle those same tasks.

It's a double edged sword in the service industry though. I was able to build a ridiculous home theater system an entire state away for one of my clients - one of those 1%. I was given the go ahead to just charge "whatever just so long as you do it" so I made a nice profit. That enabled me to boost productivity and hire a new 1099 whom ended up remaining on full time because it lead to other jobs amongst other 1%.

Lobbying should be abolished in it's entirety - it's legal bribing and where most of the 1% end up building power and control.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Let's see.. spend my life fretting like a loonbag over what other people have...

Or do something about my own financial situation for myself..

Gee! That's such a tough choice.

We all can clearly see which course you thought would be a better way to blow your time.
Let's see.. acting like I'm a one percenter and posting on a forum and supporting them, or being a twit.

I'm going with a TWIT Bob for 500.

ASK THE COMMUNITY