That was a meeting with the owner that I wasn't expecting...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
It sounds like you could make some extra money to put away and, perhaps more importantly, get some killer experience. I relocated across the country for work once (I later moved back to my hometown), and I don't regret it at all. It's fun living in a totally different area for a while.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Looks like you have had a hell of an opportunity thrust upon you. Given the location and the substantial pay increase and experience you will be gaining, I would most definitely pursue this. I hope your wife agrees and you can find a middle ground somewhere with her schooling.

With so many struggling these days it seems you've hit the jackpot :p

Aug 16, 2001
I'd say just do it.
I think I told you about Tucson in a PM. Poenix is much much bigger (3x ?) and on average 5-10 degress warmer than Tucson.
You can handle the heat it just takes some time to get used to. Try to be relocated in the beginning if the year when it is cool and nice down here. That way the change will be gradual.
I can't really say anything about house eprices in Phoenix but I think they are reasonable. The climate is great 9 months out of the year and if you like golf AZ is the place to be.
You are about 3 (4) hours away from Sedona which is an absoltely beautiful place to visit. I think there is skiing in Flagstaff too and it's pretty close (2 hours or so).
Great mountain biking if you are into that too.
Your car will not rust away either ;)

I moved half way round the world and I don't regret anything. You'll just kick your self if you don't try anything new.
Of course I have no clue about your current situation (kids and stuff) so it's up to you.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
I'd say just do it.
I think I told you about Tucson in a PM. Poenix is much much bigger (3x ?) and on average 5-10 degress warmer than Tucson.
You can handle the heat it just takes some time to get used to. Try to be relocated in the beginning if the year when it is cool and nice down here. That way the change will be gradual.
I can't really say anything about house eprices in Phoenix but I think they are reasonable. The climate is great 9 months out of the year and if you like golf AZ is the place to be.
You are about 3 (4) hours away from Sedona which is an absoltely beautiful place to visit. I think there is skiing in Flagstaff too and it's pretty close (2 hours or so).

I moved half way round the world and I don't regret anything. You'll just kick your self if you don't try anything new.
Of course I have no clue about your current situation (kids and stuff) so it's up to you.

Phoenix is ALOT bigger than Tucson, going on 4 million people I think

AmericasTeam

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
I'd say just do it.

Phoenix is ALOT bigger than Tucson, going on 4 million people I think

4 million ? I don't think so. 2000 Census recorded 1.3 million. I seriously doubt 2.7 million moved there in the last 3 years.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Wow! Thanks for all the support and encouragement everyone! It's nice to see that there are so many positive opinions about the move.

BTW - the owner is telling me that Mesa is a good area to look into. Reasonable prices and low crime.

Any thoughts?

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
I knew a girl from Mesa, and she liked it, though as everywhere in AZ, hot as hell. I went to Phoenix around Thanksgiving one year, and coming from the Northeast, 100+ temps in November is damned unnatural. But from what I hear, Mesa's nice.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Hubris
I knew a girl from Mesa, and she liked it, though as everywhere in AZ, hot as hell. I went to Phoenix around Thanksgiving one year, and coming from the Northeast, 100+ temps in November is damned unnatural. But from what I hear, Mesa's nice.

100F in November is very very rare.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
I'd say go for it but a friend of mine lived in Tuscon for a year and hated it. He claims that AZ has it's own special circle of Hell.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: Cleaner
I don't know what you people are talking about no beaches. The whole state is one big sand trap. Its easy to play golf there just bring your sand wedge. Houses are cheap because they don't put any insulation into them. Its hot all year long. Get ready for an expensive water bill, they have to ship it in from another state, and the electric bill is going to be insane as you'll be running the ac all year round. Enjoy! Feels like a heat wave....

Uhhh...I dunno how you define beach, but for most of us it's next to the ocean (or a lake if you are a little more liberal about your definition). Proximity to sand is an ancillary benefit for the occasionaly game of bocce, volleyball, croquet, or football, but a lot of us are there for water as much as sand!

i hope that's not you Jezo in that dingy liferaft

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
I'd love to get out of the Midwest, to someplace where it's actually the year 2004.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
In addition to whatever he offered, say you talked it over w/ the Mrs and have some reservations that you'd feel better if you had:

1) Additional vacation time (you'll need to travel more to visit the relatives now... etc)
2) Some kind of investment into the corporation, long term stocks/options/etc.
3) a contract If they lay you off w/in 1 yr they'll pay reverse moving expenses (I'd probably skip this one)

If the boss/owner is willing to move you, he's probably thinking of expanding. The second one might show you are interested in the company longterm and make your boss feel better.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Wow! Thanks for all the support and encouragement everyone! It's nice to see that there are so many positive opinions about the move.

BTW - the owner is telling me that Mesa is a good area to look into. Reasonable prices and low crime.

Any thoughts?

Mesa is not that great of an area. Scottsdale, Chandler, Ahwatukee, and very few parts of Tempe are the best places to live. It really depends on where you are working, but at all costs stay away frow Northwest Phoenix...Glendale area

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: JEDI
I don't know what you people are talking about no beaches. The whole state is one big sand trap. Its easy to play golf there just bring your sand wedge. Houses are cheap because they don't put any insulation into them. Its hot all year long. Get ready for an expensive water bill, they have to ship it in from another state, and the electric bill is going to be insane as you'll be running the ac all year round. Enjoy! Feels like a heat wave....

Uhhh...I dunno how you define beach, but for most of us it's next to the ocean (or a lake if you are a little more liberal about your definition). Proximity to sand is an ancillary benefit for the occasionaly game of bocce, volleyball, croquet, or football, but a lot of us are there for water as much as sand!

JZERO DAMMIT!
<--J Z E R O
LordJezo lives on the other side of NJ ;)
The bad side.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDI

JZERO DAMMIT!
<--J Z E R O
LordJezo lives on the other side of NJ ;)
The bad side.
Oh man, getting confused with Lord Jezo would be enough for me to change my handle!