That was a meeting with the owner that I wasn't expecting...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Him: "Would you consider moving to the other side of the country, support double what you do now, help run another office and help us build 20 new locations".

Me: "ummmmm"

Him: "And move there in 6 months"

Him: "Talk to your wife and she what she thinks"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh man...tonight is going to be an interesting conversation with my wife. :eek:
So..uhhh...what do you think of Pheonix?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Higher pay?

Phoenix is very nice, although a little warm.

I would go there but it is too far from the beach.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: minendo
If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Sometimes, turning down a promotion is the best way to ensure you'll never get another.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit
So..uhhh...what do you think of Pheonix?
OSU has won there twice, and I know a cute girl there. So Phoenix is a pretty cool place IMO.

ZV

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Background info - I currently support 30 retail locations with three different franchises and the two corporate offices that support them
Our latest franchise endevour is located all in the southwest and we will be putting up between 15-20 locations in a couple states in the SW.
We also have a sister corporation that has 20 locations and a corporate office of their own based out of Phoenix that we are in a psuedo business union with.

What the owner wants me to consider is moving down there, doing top level support (as in big projects, store openings, high level stuff) remotely for the current operations and then also pick up the new franchis in the southwest as well as taking on the IT needs of the sister company based out of Phoenix.

And yes, it would be a substatial raise.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Pros
great golf courses, warm weather, ASU (Arizona State), a high quality of life (southwest mystique)

Cons
No beach, hot in the summer, old folks (retirement central after Florida)

Plus, would you still have a job if you don't accept this mission? Just wondering...

EDIT: Find a nice dinner out tonight and recommending a nice bottle of Chianti to help mellow the mood.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Background info - I currently support 30 retail locations with three different franchises and the two corporate offices that support them
Our latest franchise endevour is located all in the southwest and we will be putting up between 15-20 locations in a couple states in the SW.
We also have a sister corporation that has 20 locations and a corporate office of their own based out of Phoenix that we are in a psuedo business union with.

What the owner wants me to consider is moving down there, doing top level support (as in big projects, store openings, high level stuff) remotely for the current operations and then also pick up the new franchis in the southwest as well as taking on the IT needs of the sister company based out of Phoenix.

And yes, it would be a substatial raise.

you'll need that substantial raise. its very expensive to live there.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Phoenix is nice from what I hear. My best friend's parents live there, and I've looked at homes there. Don't know how it compares to where you are currently, but the homes are CHEAP compared to here in WA.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
From what I have seen homes cost more in AZ than most areas of the Midwest.

It also depends on where you want to live in the city of course.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: K1052

Business offices *I guess* are centrally located near the airport. I've never been to Phoenix myself. I've spent some time with Tucson though and fell in love with it. But I know that Phoenix isn't Tucson. Hotter. Flatter. Bigger. Much bigger.

stnicralisk

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
Do it. If you dont you will always wonder what would have happened.

Better take the woman out on a romantic evening.

mandala

Dec 24, 2003
You can get homes for good prices (in terms of average house prices in the Phoenix area) if you are willing to live on the outskirts (the "Phoenix metro area" is huge - probably at least 50 miles across in some directions), but I'm not sure how they compare to house prices in the midwest. Traffic is not very fun because the freeway system is not up to the amount of commuter traffic (and mass transit is practically non-existant), so I would recommend living near where you will be working. The weather is nice in the "winter". The hot season is quite long (I tend to use the a/c from March-November), so it takes some getting used to. Electricity is expensive, as is auto insurance (Phoenix has some of the highest theft and accident rates in the country). There are lots of people and lots of things to do (and there are more pools and golf courses per capita than any place else in the world).

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
I would have to know your current salary, and then how much higher the raise is. IE 60k to 80k or 60k to 90k, etc...

For what they are asking I would hope it is very substantial, you would be relocating... do you currently own a house, etc?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BDawg
Originally posted by: minendo
If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Sometimes, turning down a promotion is the best way to ensure you'll never get another.

Perhaps, but when the promotion involves a married person moving over 1000 miles, and the owner of the company knows this, I imagine they will be understanding if you opt out.

And if they weren't, you're probably better off getting out of there ASAP anyway.

Woodie

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Go for it!

Based on the expected responsibilities...it has the potential to catapult your career, and really showcase what you can do. Clearly, the boss has a high regard for your ability, and your performance will drive the success/failure of a *major* expansion for your company. So, high profile, some risk, and lots of exposure to various levels within the company.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to move to Phoenix myself. But...that's because I have wife, kids, house, schools, family here, and I like snow!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052

Business offices *I guess* are centrally located near the airport. I've never been to Phoenix myself. I've spent some time with Tucson though and fell in love with it. But I know that Phoenix isn't Tucson. Hotter. Flatter. Bigger. Much bigger.

Yea, thats basically right about Phoenix. I have visited there several times and have not been all that impressed. I have family in Tucson and I usually end up visiting at least once a year. Tucson is much nicer IMO.

Though you will be closer to some nice vacation areas up north, like Sedona.

If the pay increase is worth it I would most likely go. If you do well there it could greatly help you in the future.