That REALLY annoys the hell out of me

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: yovonbishop
Originally posted by: Tizyler
Originally posted by: Tizyler
Just get over it. People think you look young, so what. Just be happy with the fact that you're going to probably look better than them once you're a bit older.

Oh, and get a different haircut/don't use the thumbs up thing. Try to get something a bit "older" with the hair if you want to look that way. There's nothing wrong with your hair now, it just makes you appear to be younger (you know, 12).

I'm growing it out (again).

Just advising on how to appear older so you don't have to endure years of torture :thumbsup: :p

I appreciate it ;)

Not a problem. Let us know if any of our suggestions are used and if you're ever able to grow some facial hair.

Being young looking isn't always a bad thing though, sometimes it can be a bit endearing as opposed to a haggard old man.

Yeah, I realize that. The thing that bugs me is that people just throw it out like its no big deal at all, then just laugh. I usually just play it off with, "ahh, yeah, well, I hear it will payoff in the long run". For whatever reason it just really irked me this afternoon.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
duuuuuuuuuuuude. u know what the problem is? it's ur mindset about this.

yes, u do look *cardable*, but whenever u get picked on about ur age, just say "guess that means i'll still be hotttt when i'm 50." instead of trying to look older (& maybe even feel ur age), embrace the fact that u don't come across as older. ppl who make those stupid comments are likely jealous that u're still a young thang. shiiiiiiit, they probably wish they were still ur age or can hold onto youth as well as u do. :D

there's always gonna be haters in this world. heck, let 'em hate. :p

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Haha yup, I get the same shit, not daily though. I'm 22. I almost always get carded for alcohol, but so many places are ridiculous about that these days that everyone does, although it is surprising when I don't and it's a cashier who doesn't know me. I haven't got an idea how often I get carded for buying cigarettes... maybe half the time or so? Depends the place.

About a year ago, my roommate and I were in Cocoa Beach, Florida and the only bar within walking distance of our hotel looked kind of thugish and ruggish but we went there anyway. I guess my roommate looks young too but not as much as me. The guy at the door stared at our IDs for like a minute, flipping them over and back, then was just like "these can't be real, you guys aren't 21". Though he was way off as they were real and we were 21. He finally was satisfied after looking at them for so damn long and let us in. It was an okay place so we went back the next night. The SAME guy, did the SAME damn thing with the IDs!

My response is usually "yeah" or I just don't say anything.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I'm 23 also and I get that all the time as well. You seem to be tall though... I'm short (5'8") :(. And I also can't grow a beard. I get some hair on my chin and some sideburns... after like 2 weeks of not shaving.

I find it all kind of funny though. I went to dinner with my little (16) year old brother the other night, and some old people sitting across from us thought he was the older one (went to a hibachi place, so we sat with strangers). And whenever we go to the movies, the ticket taker asks to see his I.D. to see if he's old enough to take ME into the theater.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
How tall are you? You seem to be really lean and tall in your first pic. Height helps with the age thing.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Aflac
How tall are you? You seem to be really lean and tall in your first pic. Height helps with the age thing.

I'm 5'11. I'm thin though.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Tremulant
I'm 23 also and I get that all the time as well. You seem to be tall though... I'm short (5'8") :(. And I also can't grow a beard. I get some hair on my chin and some sideburns... after like 2 weeks of not shaving.
5'8" is short these days?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm in the same boat. I'm 20, but I could probably pass for a physically mature 16 year old if I wanted to (I'm pretty well built, 5'11", 180 lbs, medium frame). I can't even grow a full beard yet (although what is there grows profusely). I don't get any comments though (once it came up in a conversation and I pointed it out, my friends agreed).

And Xstatic's right. Just take that attitude. I personally don't give a shit one way or the other. I'm still physically attractive/good looking, so WTF do I care?
Also, here's a tip: If you think/know you're good looking/mature, you'll act like it in terms of body language and whatnot subconsciously, and thus give that appearance/vibe despite your physical appearance. I'm pretty sure this is the reason I don't get the "you look young" comments.

In short: confidence > physical appearance (aside from extreme cases)

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
You do look young, but so did I before having some resemblance of a beard, it made a huge difference, I wouldnt go back to the kid look now... Plus smart girls dig the mature/intelectual look LOL

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: irishScott
I'm in the same boat. I'm 20, but I could probably pass for a physically mature 16 year old if I wanted to (I'm pretty well built, 5'11", 180 lbs, medium frame). I can't even grow a full beard yet (although what is there grows profusely). I don't get any comments though (once it came up in a conversation and I pointed it out, my friends agreed).

And Xstatic's right. Just take that attitude. I personally don't give a shit one way or the other. I'm still physically attractive/good looking, so WTF do I care?
Also, here's a tip: If you think you're good looking/mature, you'll act like it in terms of body language and whatnot unconsciously, and thus give that appearance/vibe despite your physical appearance. I'm pretty sure this is the reason I don't get the "you look young" comments.

Yeah, I totally agree with what you're saying regarding the whole attitude thing. Most of the time though, it will be comments from people I have JUST met, before I have even gotten more than a few words out of my mouth (like today).

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
You do look young, but so did I before having some resemblance of a beard, it made a huge difference, I wouldnt go back to the kid look now... Plus smart girls dig the mature/intelectual look LOL

Good to know. I guess I'll stop shaving for a month and report back.

Dec 26, 2007
My ex looked really young also (short and very young looking face), well one night after work (was working 330-12am at the time) she asked me to come by and pick her up b/c she was having a bad night. So I head over and she lived with roommates at the time, and when I was driving down her road I see her walking on the side of the road. She didn't tell me she was going to not be at her house when I got there, so I was driving 30 or so down her road and see her on the side walking down the road. So I slam on my brakes pull into the next driveway and turn around. I turned around, stopped, and she got in. I pull away and get to the stop at the end of the road. A car pulls up behind me, and I see the light bar on top of the car.

I turn on to the main road, they follow me and turn on their lights right away. I am trying to figure out what is going on. So I pull over, he comes up and asks for both of our licenses. So I hand him mine, and she realizes she doesn't have hers. He asks what we are doing so I tell him "She is my gf and was having a bad night, and asked me after work to pick her up". He goes runs my license, and her SSN # to verify our ages. When he comes back he says "Well I just wanted to make sure you didn't meet on myspace or something and she was running away from home. She looks a bit young". I teased her about it for a while and was a running joke between us because the officer thought I was picking up a minor that was running away from home.

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Xstatic1
duuuuuuuuuuuude. u know what the problem is? it's ur mindset about this.

yes, u do look *cardable*, but whenever u get picked on about ur age, just say "guess that means i'll still be hotttt when i'm 50." instead of trying to look older (& maybe even feel ur age), embrace the fact that u don't come across as older. ppl who make those stupid comments are likely jealous that u're still a young thang. shiiiiiiit, they probably wish they were still ur age or can hold onto youth as well as u do. :D

there's always gonna be haters in this world. heck, let 'em hate. :p

This is good advice I'll have to remember this.

My attempts so far have been to overcome the comments with working harder/smarter/more seriously than the coworkers. They won't make fun of you if they think you might one day be their boss. Which I will be.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
My ex looked really young also (short and very young looking face), well one night after work (was working 330-12am at the time) she asked me to come by and pick her up b/c she was having a bad night. So I head over and she lived with roommates at the time, and when I was driving down her road I see her walking on the side of the road. She didn't tell me she was going to not be at her house when I got there, so I was driving 30 or so down her road and see her on the side walking down the road. So I slam on my brakes pull into the next driveway and turn around. I turned around, stopped, and she got in. I pull away and get to the stop at the end of the road. A car pulls up behind me, and I see the light bar on top of the car.

I turn on to the main road, they follow me and turn on their lights right away. I am trying to figure out what is going on. So I pull over, he comes up and asks for both of our licenses. So I hand him mine, and she realizes she doesn't have hers. He asks what we are doing so I tell him "She is my gf and was having a bad night, and asked me after work to pick her up". He goes runs my license, and her SSN # to verify our ages. When he comes back he says "Well I just wanted to make sure you didn't meet on myspace or something and she was running away from home. She looks a bit young". I teased her about it for a while and was a running joke between us because the officer thought I was picking up a minor that was running away from home.

heh that's a good story