That just made my head hurt.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Cliffs at bottom.

I'm presently working on a project at to basically tear down our entire organization and rebuild it, documenting all the technologies, techniques, and processes that we're employing in a massive library of massive tomes tentatively titled "Look how many trees we just killed to save more!" (we're somewhat of an environmental organization involved in computer recycling and refurbishment).

Anyway, we're about 25% of the way through writing this library, and proceeding along at a brisk pace. A lot of our documentation is in how-to format, and for clarity's sake, involves screenshots. For cleanliness, and because text-mode screens are involved, we're taking all our screenshots with VMWare. A lot of these guides start off with "on a fresh install of Ubuntu Linux" - so we need a fresh install of Ubuntu. We already have an automated Ubuntu install in use in our refurbishment operation. We use Microsoft RIS to handle Windows installations in our office, which is where this documentation is being written. Installing a Windows OS to a virtual machine is a simple matter of network booting it, entering your login, and choosing which version. Why not make that possible with our Linux installs, as well? As it turns out, it's a fairly straightforward hack to launch pxelinux from within RIS, and pxelinux forms the foundation of our existing automated Linux installation. It's literally just a matter of copying all the files, and changing a few lines in a few files. A max of 15m of work. And as an added bonus, I'm already working on cleaning up the RIS server, and documenting it's various facets. This would only add about 2 pages of documentation to that.

Naturally, the cost/benefit ratio is tiny. 15m of my time, and 2 pages of documentation now, vs. hour-long pockets of EVERY PROJECT MEMBER'S TIME as often as several times a day. So I went ahead and pitched this at the project manager via AIM (note that it's not uncommon for us to discuss our work after-hours).

Apparently, he has sand in his panties, or something. His arguments included, but were not limited to:
"We're not licensed for that" (We are)
"We have better things to be doing."
"What does this do to improve our customer service? NOTHING!" (This project isn't about improving customer service. It's about improving internal efficiency and disaster recovery)
"We need majority approval before you do that." (I was going to bring it up at the meeting Monday morning, get the majority to agree with me because the mere idea of making them have to do less work makes them all horny)
"It provides no benefit."

Chances are, this is just another episode in his personal vendetta against me (He used to have a thing for my girlfriend, and recently he turned into a bitter asshole who hates her, and now, by extension, is coming after me) - nothing at all related to anything grounded in reality.

Aaaaand just now a meeting has been called on Ventrilo at 11PM. wtf.

Cliffs:
- I come up with an idea that will save everyone INSANE amounts of time and effort, but only cost 15 minutes of time to implement
- I pitch it to the project manager
- Project manager talks out his ass trying to make it seem like a bad idea
- Project manager has recently been after me for stealing his crush
- Douchebag just called a meeting for 4 minutes from now

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I hate asshole managers. I used to work at a bank and we had our fair share of them. Little people who thrive on their little kingdoms that they've built in the company and use it to crush other people in order to feel better about themselves. I feel sad for them since it's probably the only time in their lives that they will actually feel any satisfaction with themselves. But hey, have a virtual beer on me and enjoy your weekend!

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: tw1164
Originally posted by: laurenlex
Sounds like you work for govt. (only read cliffs)

nay, they would have went home for the weekend already

We did. We left at 6. In the Ventrilo meeting right now, and yeah. He's bitching about "certain people doing too much theorizing and not enough work". wtf. I'm sitting at home, on the weekend, and had an idea. Not interfering with my getting work done. And one of the other guys just discovered bash.org and is reading every quote out loud.

This sucks.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Oh, and it should also be noted that I was the one who initially came up with the automated linux installation concept, and developed the entire implementation, on my spare time. It literally revolutionized the entire organization - we went from falling far behind demand on the output side, and developing a massive backlog on the input end to sitting at 99% idle with perfect equilibrium. As a result, we went from broke, to raking in money. And then I streamlined and evolved our ActiveDirectory implementation, and we went from having to jump through hoops and share accounts and ******, to having a streamlined system where everything JUST WORKS

I was his favorite worker, and indeed, in line to take his place when he leaves this winter - until he started to resent my relationship. Now, all the officer positions are being filled by people who, more or less, have no clue - including the one that I currently hold (wtf), and there have been verbal indications that I don't have the right attitude, and should probably be excluded from future important projects. (So he and the me-too's sit around, bashing my girlfriend, trying to piss me off, and I just say things like "You're wrong." and generally tune them out, because I'm busy being productive. - and *I* have the wrong attitude?)

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
may I please have the Ventrillo IP and PW?

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: xSauronx
you have to attend meetings on ventrillo at 11pm on a friday night?

what the fvck?

If by "attend" you mean "listen to an idiot rant, and some other idiots be amazed by the wonders of TEH INTARWEBBBBBBBBB", yes. He's been blatantly bitching about me for 20 minutes, hasn't mentioned my name once, and I haven't even said a word.

Oh, wait, no, there we go. I just said something:

Me: "Would you shut the fvck up and stop bitching about me because you had a crush on my girlfriend and you can't stand rejection - just like you're still hung up on your two ex-girlfriends and talk about how much you hate them at least twice a week. If you have any legitimate concerns that actually have any relevancy to the organization, say so now."

<silence from everyone>

Unidentified peon: "oh, snap."

Me: "Well, unless anyone else has any agenda items, I think we can wrap this one up. The RECORDING and meeting minutes will be in the archive on the fileserver Monday morning."

Fortunately, the fileserver archive doesn't allow deletes or changes. From ANYBODY - and there's a security camera and tamper alarms on the RAID array. Untamperable evidence FTW.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
OH SNAP!!! NO YOU DIDN'T!?!?!?!! YOU ARE MY HERO!!! WHY AM I TYPING ALL CAPS?!?!?! OMG TEH INTARWEBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no seriously, if you really said that, you da man!

I'll see ya at the unemployment counter on Monday. ;)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
That crap really goes on? Can't you have a one on one chat with this fellow and set things right? (Or rip out his liver and stuff it down his throat).

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Greenman
That crap really goes on? Can't you have a one on one chat with this fellow and set things right? (Or rip out his liver and stuff it down his throat).

I can never get him alone (he hides behind his me-too's), and on teh intarweb and on the phone, he hides behind ignorance. So no.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
you have a great HR case. don't be the nice guy that "takes one in the as...err....for the team." be a hard ass and try to push him out the door. they fvcking need you (or at least their competitors do)

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: chambersc
you have a great HR case. don't be the nice guy that "takes one in the as...err....for the team." be a hard ass and try to push him out the door. they fvcking need you (or at least their competitors do)

HR? What HR. There are 15 people in the whole damned setup.

Competitors? We're unique in the state. Our nearest "competitor" is across state lines and doesn't have as large a scope as us, nor as large a scale and is strictly non-profit, and serves a completely different customer segment (they serve education STRICTLY, whereas we'll deal with prettymuch anybody)

My only real course of action from what I can tell other than just outright leaving (leaving them high and dry with only about half of what ONLY I KNOW documented), or waiting until he leaves and then trying to undo the damage done with everyone else.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

HR? What HR. There are 15 people in the whole damned setup.

Competitors? We're unique in the state. Our nearest "competitor" is across state lines and doesn't have as large a scope as us, nor as large a scale and is strictly non-profit, and serves a completely different customer segment (they serve education STRICTLY, whereas we'll deal with prettymuch anybody)

My only real course of action from what I can tell other than just outright leaving (leaving them high and dry with only about half of what ONLY I KNOW documented), or waiting until he leaves and then trying to undo the damage done with everyone else.
Hmm, I was thinking of your points as I re-read your OP. What outlets exactly do you have? Seems like your SOL other than your pot-shots at your boss and his yes men.

BTW, did you really say that over vent?!

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003

Hmm, I was thinking of your points as I re-read your OP. What outlets exactly do you have? Seems like your SOL other than your pot-shots at your boss and his yes men.

BTW, did you really say that over vent?!

Yes, I actually said that.

And as far as outlets... I can take crapshots at them all day long if I so desire, because there's not a chance in hell of them getting along without me, I can bitch on ATOT, and I can whine to my girlfriend.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
So you actually said that in the meeting? Or just wishful thinking?

gotta be wishful thinking...gotta be....

You wish it were wishful thinking. I've said worse things to this guy before, to his face.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
So you actually said that in the meeting? Or just wishful thinking?

gotta be wishful thinking...gotta be....

You wish it were wishful thinking. I've said worse things to this guy before, to his face.

so are you unfirable or something because to say somethign like that in a COMPANY meeting would mean that you would have to be..like the owners son or soemthing....

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred
Yet another EyeMWing 18-year-old with delusions of grandeur thread.

Just because you pissed away your early adulthood doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Oh, and buy a calendar. I haven't been 18 for a long time.