That Itch to Get a Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by Opyders, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Opyders

Opyders Member

I'm getting that itch to get a gaming laptop after I found this.

http://www.malibal.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idProduct=524

>1920x1080 matte
    >i7-3630QM
    >GTX 670MX (Kepler, not gtx 670m Fermi) To give you an idea on how fast this gpu is, it's 36% slower than a desktop 7870 and in another benchmark it showed that it was only 1% slower than a desktop 660 Ti according to notebookcheck (see link at bottom of post) which is pretty good.
    >8gb dual channel 1600mhz ($20 upgraded from 4gb, not overpriced as every other company would have it)
    >500gb 7200rpm (then I'd pair it with my 128gb crucial m4 which I already own)

Also, some things that I really like about Malibal:

>Let's you choose if you want branding on their laptop
    >Let's you choose if you want a finger print reader or web cam at no extra cost
    >Doesn't include OS, so it doesn't include it in the cost so I can just p-...purchase it legally from my local Staples.
    >Lifetime limited warranty and 1 year parts/labor(included) upgradable to 3 years for $145, but nothing too special about that.

From what I've heard, these things have really amazing build quality.
    The customer service is exceptional too.

All for $1182.43.

GTX 670MX benchmark:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-670MX.82603.0.htm

Just go to the bottom of the review to the benchmarks and select "show comparison chart".

What do you guys think? I know what I need it for and what its hardware capabilities are. Should I pull the trigger?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Itch Gaming Laptop Forum Date
    Inspiron 7568 Laptop Fan Will Not Spin SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Today at 2:42 PM
    Gaming Laptop with NVMe SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs May 8, 2017
    Why are gaming laptops still so damn ugly? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Apr 8, 2017
    Compact Gaming Rig Recommendations SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Apr 5, 2017
    Looking for a laptop to replace my gaming desktop but need a ultra portable form SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Feb 25, 2017

3. stateofmind

stateofmind Senior member

I don't think it is a good time to buy such a laptop - better wait for the GX60 to become available and benchmarked

but if you really want to buy now - do you have specific games? budget?

4. Opyders

Opyders Member

The most intensive game I want to play is Battlefield 3. Probably just on med settings with no AA at native res getting 45-60fps. My max budget is $1500. I'd like to spend around $1200 if that's possible (not including the SSD).

Oh yeah, and Malibal mentions that the 670MX is "user upgradable". Does this mean that I could upgrade it to a next gen mobile card when they come out? Thanks.

5. 0___________0

0___________0 Senior member

Yes, if it's the MXM model the GPU can be replaced, they indicate that it is. It costs a small fortune to buy a better one though. Very constrained supply, they have to be pulled from other units.

I don't expect those synthetic benchmarks from your link to mean much. The 660 Ti has nearly 400 more cuda cores, over twice the memory bandwidth, more texture mapping units, and a much higher core clock. It usually equals or bests the 7870 as well in games. It is a significantly faster chip then the 670MX, which is more comparable to a 660 although it has slower clocks.