that drug:ephedra bad!!!!

hardass

Apr 10, 2002
just a fair warning for those who take Xenadrene, Hydroxycut, Stacker2.

My freind had a heart attack today, just a minor one. He's only 19. He was following the dirctions on the bottle and tool all the precautions. His doctor said that it was the ephadrene. This stuff needs banned, a lot of people have been getting sick from this stuff.

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Psylence
Originally posted by: kgraeme
Duh.

He's just trying to help others who may not know the risks. No need to be a jerk. You sir, get a one!!! :p

Woot! I'm number One! I'm number One!

Seriously, doctors have been telling everybody that Ephedra is bad for years. The FDA banned it for a reason. And it's not like people had to ask the doctor. There have been awareness campaigns with doctors even going on morning news shows.

My "duh" was in response to the comment that these "nutrition supplements" need to be banned.

hardass

Apr 10, 2002
waht makes me mad is places like GNC, I wanted to see what the GNC sales person had to say

Me: I heard Xenadrene is bad
Clerk: Only if you take it wrong
me:So it wont hurt me?
Clerk:nah, its auctually good for you, it cleans out the toxins in your sytem

OK, GNC likes to make a quick buck buy lying to thier customers, makes me wanna puke.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Yeah, I knew a about the dangers. It effects different people in different ways. In any case, I was taking hlaf the recommended dose to be on the safe side. I don't take it anymore though.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I took 1 Xenadrine a week and a half ago, I was bouncing off the walls. I was thinking of getting some anyways, for weight loss purposes, only to find out it's banned in Canada.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A friend and I were browsing at the local grocery store once, when we saw these "Sports" drinks. Their main ingredient was ephedrine..

It's a good thing they were utterly disgusting.. We couldn't drink but a few gulps, but man.. lemme tell ya.. lol.. We probably would have driven to California, or something stupid like that, if we had drank all of it... It was pretty crazy.. lol..

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Eli
A friend and I were browsing at the local grocery store once, when we saw these "Sports" drinks. Their main ingredient was ephedrine.. It's a good thing they were utterly disgusting.. We couldn't drink but a few gulps, but man.. lemme tell ya.. lol.. We probably would have driven to California, or something stupid like that, if we had drank all of it... It was pretty crazy.. lol..

Dude! That sounds like some good stuff! :D
i always wanted to go to Cali and this sounds like a good cheap way! Market your idea dude! :D

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
My freind had a heart attack today, just a minor one. He's only 19. He was following the dirctions on the bottle and tool all the precautions. His doctor said that it was the ephadrene. This stuff needs banned, a lot of people have been getting sick from this stuff.
You're friend is either a liar, or he represents an extremely rare minority who is comparable to the tiny fraction of a percentage of people who are deathly allergic to common things like peanuts. I've been following the 'gloom and doom' warnings against ephedra for several months now, and the typical 'anti-ephedra' article depicts people in "perfect health" dropping like flies from taking ephedra. Of course, the 'perfect health' part was a comment made by the mother or coach, people from whom the kid was deliberately hiding his drug use.

Yet, investigators always seem to uncover that the 'perfectly healthy' ephedra user was taking five times the suggested dose, or was taking it for several months when the warning labels CLEARLY warn against using ephedra for any longer than several weeks, or they were combining other drugs with ephedra against the cautionary warnings of the label (aka "stacking"), or they had a known medical or health condition which the label CLEARLY warned was contra-indicated or dangerous.

The FDA has rejected calls to regulate or restrict the sale of ephedra precisely because ABUSE and MISUSE is so commonly found to be associated with reported ephedra 'incidents'. In fact, the GOA investigated reports of illness or death reportedly associated with ephedra, and BLASTED the integrity and credibility of these reports, pointing out a number of instances where the cause of death, injury or illness could not possibly have been 'related' to ephedra, such as one incident where some guy was shot, and because he was taking ephedra at the time he was shot, it was recorded as an "ephedra linked" death. DUH!

If you search hard enough, I'm sure you can find a dozen idiots who have somehow managed to kill or maim themselves with a plastic spork.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
i did a microcell biology paper on this. =) dont drink energy drinks with ephedra in it. ephedra was sold as the legal "herbal" version of the illicit drug "ecstasy" ... MDMA ... which most of you probably are familiar with. it screws you up big time. FDA banned it but theyre no longer allowed to regulate herbal items like they do regular food items since the 1994 law, instead they have to review each item case by case AFTER it has gone into the market. sucks doesnt it. thats why i dont take herbal stuff. and thats why i dont eat vegetables either (cuz i like meat =P).

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: tcsenter
You're friend is either a liar, or he represents an extremely rare minority who is comparable to the tiny fraction of a percentage of people who are deathly allergic to common things like peanuts. I've been following the 'gloom and doom' warnings against ephedra for several months now, and the typical 'anti-ephedra' article depicts people in "perfect health" dropping like flies from taking ephedra. Of course, the 'perfect health' part was a comment made by the mother or coach, people from whom the kid was deliberately hiding his drug use.

Yet, investigators always seem to uncover that the 'perfectly healthy' ephedra user was taking five times the suggested dose, or was taking it for several months when the warning labels CLEARLY warn against using ephedra for any longer than several weeks, or they were combining other drugs with ephedra against the cautionary warnings of the label (aka "stacking"), or they had a known medical or health condition which the label CLEARLY warned was contra-indicated or dangerous.

The FDA has rejected calls to regulate or restrict the sale of ephedra precisely because ABUSE and MISUSE is so commonly found to be associated with reported ephedra 'incidents'. In fact, the GOA investigated reports of illness or death reportedly associated with ephedra, and BLASTED the integrity and credibility of these reports, pointing out a number of instances where the cause of death, injury or illness could not possibly have been 'related' to ephedra, such as one incident where some guy was shot, and because he was taking ephedra at the time he was shot, it was recorded as an "ephedra linked" death. DUH!

If you search hard enough, I'm sure you can find a dozen idiots who have somehow managed to kill or maim themselves with a plastic spork.

okay ... granted that nothing's ever "good" for you (as everything gives cancer or whatever) but i really dont see any merit in taking ephedra. true, if you take a little bit of poison it may not kill you. you might even think it has other positive effects or is "harmless." you only see and suffer the real consequences after taking a lot of it. ephedra is structurally similar to amphetamines and increases blood pressure and heart rate. adverse effects include headache, heart attack, hypertension, paranoid psychosis, seizures, stroke, tachycardia (rapid beating of the heart), and vomiting. pulled this off the web. i dont see how you can justify how this is safe.