Thanks Obama! Unemployment trend he started continues down to 3.6%

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Numbers don't lie. However Trump said when he was running the numbers were fake so I wonder if we should trust them even though the method for calculation has not changed.
unemploy1-768x503.png

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
This is not a political statement meant to reflect on either Obama or Trump, but I wonder how much demographics play into the numbers above? Baby boomer retirements should be ramping up due to age and remember quite a few folks delayed retirement due to the Great Recession. Today's unemployment rate may be demonstrating the effects of more folks in retirement/out of the active workforce and thus not counting towards the 3.6% figure.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is not a political statement meant to reflect on either Obama or Trump, but I wonder how much demographics play into the numbers above? Baby boomer retirements should be ramping up due to age and remember quite a few folks delayed retirement due to the Great Recession. Today's unemployment rate may be demonstrating the effects of more folks in retirement/out of the active workforce and thus not counting towards the 3.6% figure.

Uh, aren't retirees always excluded from unemployment figures? Sure, it may be that there are more out-of-work people overall compared to previous generations, because of all the boomers, but just pointing to that now doesn't really make for a compelling argument as to why we should look at the same metric differently, for this specific situation.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Assuming static numbers (nobody hired or fired), people leaving the workforce via retirement would drive up the unemployment percentages, as the percentage of people out of work would increase compared to the number of people in the workforce.

Now, realistically, that's not the case. What's far more probable is that the economy is doing 'okay' for business owners, so they're hiring more compared to a few years ago. It's also possible (but I'm ignorant to this topic) that there's changes to rules regarding how people are counted for 'employed' 'not employed' or 'not seeking'. It's also possible the gig economy has ramped up quite a bit, and now there's people technically considered 'working' even if they're at below minimum wage levels.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Uh, aren't retirees always excluded from unemployment figures? Sure, it may be that there are more out-of-work people overall compared to previous generations, because of all the boomers, but just pointing to that now doesn't really make for a compelling argument as to why we should look at the same metric differently, for this specific situation.

Don't think it's a matter of "looking at it differently" or trying to give/deny credit to anyone but was rather just a hypothesis about one reason the trend seems to be going the way it is. I'll freely admit my thinking could be completely wrong and perhaps exactly opposite of reality but I was just sort of thinking aloud.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Don't think it's a matter of "looking at it differently" or trying to give/deny credit to anyone but was rather just a hypothesis about one reason the trend seems to be going the way it is. I'll freely admit my thinking could be completely wrong and perhaps exactly opposite of reality but I was just sort of thinking aloud.
Retired people are not counted in the unemployment rate. The only people counted in the employment rate are people who are a) working or b) want to work and have actively looked for work in the last 4 weeks.

You may be thinking about labor force participation rate.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
This thread title is hilarious - good job Giving it a thumbs up!

Oh wait, this isn't the 'P&Ns middle name' thread and OP actual believes this? That's even funnier :D

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Oh wait, this isn't the 'P&Ns middle name' thread and OP actual believes this? That's even funnier :D
Don't take my word for it, look at the chart. When did the trajectory change under Trump?

Reactions: esquared

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Don't take my word for it, look at the chart. When did the trajectory change under Trump?
Well, Trump has been pre-ordained for the presidency since his conception so he's responsible for all jobs created in the last 72 yrs and 9 months.

Jan 25, 2011

While the title is tongue in cheek the underlying principle is true. The unemployment rates have been on a steady trajectory for years. They have neither accelerated or decelerated under Trump.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
While the title is tongue in cheek the underlying principle is true. The unemployment rates have been on a steady trajectory for years. They have neither accelerated or decelerated under Trump.
The "weak" GDP growth rate hasn't changed either. Still trending in the same range as during Obama.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Not to mention completely ignoring what he did to the unemployment rate back around 2000!
I still remember when Obama let terrorists attack us on 9/11 while he was President! Traitor!
#neverforget

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
The numbers are full of shit!

The numbers are made up by the politicians for the politicians so that they can look good.