Thanks, Federal Reserve!

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
...the interest rate on my VBR student loans has dropped again.

...my monthly payment has dropped 20% in the past 6 months

...no, I am not paying that equivalent amount more in gas/food/etc due to inflation

Screw you guys, I'm goin home.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko

...no, I am not paying that equivalent amount more in gas/food/etc due to inflation

Oh, but if you had an actual family/job, you certainly would be paying much more :)

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It won't last. Bets are that the Fed will start hiking again before the end of the year.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: Deeko

Oh, but if you had an actual family/job, you certainly would be paying much more :)

The fact that I'm paying my loans indicates that I'm not in school anymore, and I do indeed have a "real job". And the fact that I live in a city and get a free bus pass from work helps offset the gas prices a tad. But you're correct, I'm sure the food part would hurt more if I were feeding more than myself (however the 70% raise I got 2 months ago offsets it a tad).

I'm not making light of the situation in general, it affects other people negatively....but not everyone :)

Vic, all the more reason to pay them down as much as possible now, while my rate is 2.5% lower than it was in December...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
It won't last. Bets are that the Fed will start hiking again before the end of the year.

which should signify that the dollar is strengthening (which it's been doing over the last few weeks) and help bring down the price of oil.....hopefully.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA

which should signify that the dollar is strengthening (which it's been doing over the last few weeks) and help bring down the price of oil.....hopefully.

At this point it'd only be a minor adjustment. Much stronger action in the futures market is needed to bring oil down.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: CPA

At this point it'd only be a minor adjustment. Much stronger action in the futures market is needed to bring oil down.

it will be a fun ride down when 10x leveraged HFs start unwinding. LTCM part 2?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Aimster
What is the rate?
Last I checked it was around 7-8%

These are private loans, my federal loan rate is fixed at 6.75% I think. I have 3 private loans, after the rate cuts they are 6%, 8%, and 10%.