Thanks Activision and Microsoft

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I got COD MW2 Warzone whateverthehell free with the Intel CPU I bought.

Installed it, on a brand new system with a clean install of Windows 11. Got an error when I launched it, Googled the error, and read people saying they fixed it. By reinstalling Windows? LOL. Found a video where a guy removed the latest windows update patch, then removed the game and reinstalled it. It took like 2 hours for Windows to d/l and install the cumulative patch. Which seemed reasonable seeing how the entire install took about 10 minutes, and this was off a meager $8 flash drive.

I decided to remove the game and reinstalled it, now I got a new error *yaah*
More Googling, oh just delete the COD.EXE and select the option in the launcher to scan and repair. Seems logical, I'm sure the average person would have no problem figuring this out. Still didn't work. Removed and thought f it and tried 1 more install, now it works - sorta.

Game opens but is asking me to verify the account with a phone #. Only the PC version of the game requires a cell phone to verify who you are, this is to prevent hax0rs messing up people's experience. Sucks, but I sorta understand why they did it. All I have is Google Voice, and no VOIP or pre-paid phones can be used, only post-paid. I Googled more, and there's no workaround.

I didn't even want to play MP and get owned badly anywho, so I saw there were install options to remove the MP and the Co-Op. But even just to play the single-player campaign still requires a cell phone. And if I wanted to (which I don't) I couldn't go buy a cheapie $20 prepaid phone just to register. I didn't buy the game, but if I had known about this I wouldn't have redeemed the key. People love this game and I'm sure I could have sold it no problem. So now I have a game I'll never be able to play because I have no plans to get a cell phone. I suppose I could sell it with the account attatched as I don't own any other battle.net games and after this have no plans to ever buy anything and support these fools.

Blizzard or whoever makes this game should add a 2nd form to verify a person, now I see why people hate Activision so much.

*RANT OVER*

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Blizzard or whoever makes this game should add a 2nd form to verify a person, now I see why people hate Activision so much.

Activision is the parent company.
And Blizzard was taking along downhill on a forced sled ride when they bought them out.

Blizzard games are mostly so optimized they reck your GPU because Vsync off enables your gpu to run at like 23748932748329789 fps.

Activision games have always wrecked your PC because they are utterly poorly optimized and always require a 60+GB patch each time they fix something.

You really can't compare the two.
I really hate Activision.... they are one of the main responsible parties for the paid gambling loot box system we see so much today.

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Slightly different (not related to needing a phone number, but needing net) but similarly speaking, everyone was fairly irate when Diablo 3 (a Blizzard game) first released and it was discovered that you needed net to be able to play even the single player campaigns. The server lag causing 'rubber-banding' pissed off a lot of people, myself included, lol.

I get needing internet these days, as it seems almost all games do, but requiring a phone number and then putting restrictions on what kind of phone just seems like it would limit sales if anything.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Infinity Ward is the developer for the CoD MW 2 remake. Activision is the publisher for the game. Blizzard had nothing to do with it.

The phone number thing is probably going over the top to prevent cheaters. Yes, it does mostly work, but is a bit excessive. It should certainly not be required if the multiplayer stuff is removed, that's dumb :(

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I got COD BOCW with a video card and was annoyed that it needed yet another launcher/platform to redeem the key and play it. This is a whole different level of annoyance, I wouldn't give them my phone number even if it works.