Thankful to my company

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Yeah... surely they don't care about profit, only about their customers and workers.

I'm sorry but I've been involved in research and development for 20+ years and I can tell you that there is no company that gives a flying fuck about you unless it's for their own good.

Also, there is no one in any higher up position in any company that wants anyone with cancer to get well. They want you to require treatment forever.

Look, I'm really glad that everything has worked out for you but I'm very sceptical of your newfound appreciation for corporate America.

I'm not sure exactly why you feel the need to try to poison what was meant to be a gratitude thread but here is some food for thought.

I am alive right now because a drug company brought immunotherapy to the market. I am alive because my company didn't give me the boot when they found out I had cancer. Btw, everyone has their workplace complaints, including me but I have expressed my overall satisfaction with working for these people for a long time.

Being a sick person sucks, having your job standing behind you makes things a lot easier. Knowing I will have health insurance for the next year is an excellent thing!

I have limited energy, with no time or patience for anything but gratitude at this point & I shall continue to indulge myself in expressing it.

Reactions: Perknose

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
I'm not sure exactly why you feel the need to try to poison what was meant to be a gratitude thread but here is so food for thought.

I am alive right now because a drug company brought immunotherapy to the market. I am alive because my company didn't give me the boot when they found out I had cancer. Btw, everyone has their workplace complaints, including me but I have expressed my overall satisfaction with working for these people for a long time.

Being a sick person sucks, having your job standing behind you makes things a lot easier.

I didn't mean to "poison" your thread, this isn't your blog though and if you post something a rebuttal can be expected if it is reasonable, no?

Your "rebuttal" is neither reasonable nor expected. Insert yourself and your views elsewhere, and please quit this thread entirely, since you seem to lack the self-awareness to know you've been a highly inappropriate ass.

Perknose
Forum Director

I watched my first wife waste away for a decade due to cancer so don't you for a seconds though think I don't get it, I DO get it. I get it so much that I'm pissed of about what is NOT being done.

For example, we do know the nucleotide sequence of cDNA, we do get how it produces IGF-1 and we do know how to cancel one of the exons of the gene within a cancerous cell but you can't have that.

Why not? Well, it would be a cheap and easy fix, that's why.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I didn't mean to "poison" your thread, this isn't your blog though and if you post something a rebuttal can be expected if it is reasonable, no?

I watched my first wife waste away for a decade due to cancer so don't you for a seconds though think I don't get it, I DO get it. I get it so much that I'm pissed of about what is NOT being done.

For example, we do know the nucleotide sequence of cDNA, we do get how it produces IGF-1 and we do know how to cancel one of the exons of the gene within a cancerous cell but you can't have that.

Why not? Well, it would be a cheap and easy fix, that's why.

I will be 61 years old in January there are many things in life I can't have. At this point I chose to focus on things I do have, a job, medical insurance that allows me access to Mass General.

I have big defects in TP53 & APC, my immune system killed off the tumor in my lung but not before the cancer escaped into my lymp system. I tried to get into a CAR-T trial but didn't have the blood antigen they needed. For now I am alive & for now that is enough.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
I will be 61 years old in January there are many things in life I can't have. At this point I chose to focus on things I do have, a job, medical insurance that allows me access to Mass General.

I have big defects in TP53 & APC, my immune system killed off the tumor in my lung but not before the cancer escaped into my lymp system. I tried to get into a CAR-T trial but didn't have the blood antigen they needed. For now I am alive & for now that is enough.

So we are about the same age, I'm happy that you have your life in order or you would not have been getting the treatment you are currently getting and while typing that I realize that you might find that to be a crass statement but I didn't mean it as such, I don't know you but I really am glad that you are getting the treatment you need. Or rather... maybe you aren't.

I'm researching a way to accomplish gene methylation to just turn it off, it won't help you but it's a future prospect, we're still in the beginnings of understanding how methylation and acetylation of genes works and experimenting may have some ... very strange effects... You try to fix one thing and something else just goes haywire, you have to contain the treatment as well as ensure that it's effective which isn't easy.

There are trials for TDF to work with CAR-T (the HIV immuno treatment does provide an equivalent needed) but it's in early stages last I looked for a combo. I'll look again tomorrow.

I'm going to go through all I have on this and send it to you, every last thing including my own ideas and thoughts.

Reactions: Geekbabe

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
So we are about the same age, I'm happy that you have your life in order or you would not have been getting the treatment you are currently getting and while typing that I realize that you might find that to be a crass statement but I didn't mean it as such, I don't know you but I really am glad that you are getting the treatment you need. Or rather... maybe you aren't.

I'm researching a way to accomplish gene methylation to just turn it off, it won't help you but it's a future prospect, we're still in the beginnings of understanding how methylation and acetylation of genes works and experimenting may have some ... very strange effects... You try to fix one thing and something else just goes haywire, you have to contain the treatment as well as ensure that it's effective which isn't easy.

There are trials for TDF to work with CAR-T (the HIV immuno treatment does provide an equivalent needed) but it's in early stages last I looked for a combo. I'll look again tomorrow.

I'm going to go through all I have on this and send it to you, every last thing including my own ideas and thoughts.

Thank you! I have a fairly good understanding of a lot of medical stuff so will appreciate any info.

As far as the rest, I am very keenly aware of how lucky I am to be getting immunotherapy & access to expert care. So many patients don't!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Congrats and thanks for the update, 'Babe. I hope you ultimately end up with an even more complete miracle, total cure, as the world's a brighter place with you in it. Until then, kudos to medical science and your employer for making your continued existence possible. And thanks to Mark too - I did not know that folding@home had anything to do with cancer research.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah... surely they don't care about profit, only about their customers and workers.

I'm sorry but I've been involved in research and development for 20+ years and I can tell you that there is no company that gives a flying fuck about you unless it's for their own good.

Also, there is no one in any higher up position in any company that wants anyone with cancer to get well. They want you to require treatment forever.

Look, I'm really glad that everything has worked out for you but I'm very sceptical of your newfound appreciation for corporate America.

Wow, thank god we have a ignore feature.

To the OP best wishes, Im glad you are doing well, and im glad you still have the will to keep fighting.