Thank You Peter Arnett for helping to kill many more innocent Iraqi civilians

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
Because, the liberals are never happy. They just want tax increases so more social programs can get built for people who are too frickin' lazy to do any damn things for themselves. It's very easy for them to criticize Bush in a lot of ways: blame him for the economy, blame him for the war, etc. Hell, at least Bush has enough sense to not embarrass the U.S. by freely accepting B.J.s in the oval office like our previous president did.
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

You're right, it's much better that our craptacular education system sinks even lower so that Leona Helmsley can buy another Benz. And when our soldiers come back from fighting the war, they can pay for it too.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: apoppin
Do you believe in "fairness". When asked, I did give my opinion on the first post. You didn't attack anyone ELSE who took issue with the topic's title.

My we are persecuted.

To be honest, you are the one spamming the "internet reader" article and the fact that you ignored the content of his post in deference to some handwaving about the topic title struck me as kinda silly. I certainly didn't mean to single you out.

I'd LOVE for this story to be true (that the US was opening fire on civilians forced by Saddam to crash the checkpoint). LAST I HEARD, the US Army is INVESTIGATING. I'll wait to pass judgement but I will be GLAD to consider ALL sides.

Would that you used this same caution with your article. Again...that's the great thing about standards...so many from which to choose.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jaeger66
Because, the liberals are never happy. They just want tax increases so more social programs can get built for people who are too frickin' lazy to do any damn things for themselves. It's very easy for them to criticize Bush in a lot of ways: blame him for the economy, blame him for the war, etc. Hell, at least Bush has enough sense to not embarrass the U.S. by freely accepting B.J.s in the oval office like our previous president did.
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

You're right, it's much better that our craptacular education system sinks even lower so that Leona Helmsley can buy another Benz. And when our soldiers come back from fighting the war, they can pay for it too.
You know something, you are as bad as a Bush hater. People like you aren't happy unless you can find someone to blame.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

You know something, you are as bad as a Bush hater. People like you aren't happy unless you can find someone to blame.

You're damn right I want someone to blame for the fact that our schools are churning out sub-literate mongoloids and that this war will be won by our soldiers' blood and be paid for with their taxes.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

You're damn right I want someone to blame for the fact that our schools are churning out sub-literate mongoloids and that this war will be won by our soldiers' blood and be paid for with their taxes.

How do you think war's are won? Does the education system need improvement? Tons, but arent we pretty damned good already?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

But, are our schools really where the blame lies? Whatever happened to people (and kids) taking some responsibility for themselves? What happened to parents caring about their children's education? Clearly, these two issues have probably led to the biggest decline in the performance of our schools. My wife and myself have been quite active volunteers in our daughter's school for the past 4 years. Out of a class of 25 students, we're successful if we get two of the other parents to participate in some of the functions. What about the other 23 sets of parents? The parents don't give a sh!t about education and that attitude gets passed onto the students and gets in the way of them receiving a proper education.

It's very easy to point fingers at the schools. However, with all I've seen, it's time for the damn parents to start taking some responsibility for their children's education. My wife currently has a teaching assignment that will last until the end of the year. The stories that she comes home and tells me are pathetic. In closing, it's a cop-out to put all the blame on the current education system. If you're going to fire some bullets, aim your weapon at the scuz-bucket parents of the pathetic students first. Once the parents clean their acts up and behave like a proper role model to their children, our education system will get back on track.

[Edit]: Some more ranting. If a new child enters the 3rd grade at school (in my daughter's clasroom) and can only speak Korean, who's fault is this? The schools? The girl is having a very rough time. On her first day, she used the boy's rest room. What's a school to do with such a student? How can the school successfully sign-off on this student so she can move onto the 4th grade next year? It's quite impossible.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Mohammed Barkir Al-Mohari said in a translated videotape that the incident outside Najaf in southern Iraq on Monday was purposely set up to give Saddam's regime grist for criticizing the United States.
I don't implicitly trust anything from Joseph Farrah's 'The-UN-Troops-Are-Coming-To-Confiscate-Our-Guns-And-Enslave-Us-In-The-New-World-Order' World Net Daily, but this would not surprise me to learn it from a credible publication. In fact, I would be shocked to learn this kind of thing has not been happening. We already have reports of Fedayeen militia and Republican Guard forcing Iraqi men to fight against the US by threatening to kill their wives and children. We saw it in Afghanistan at the hands of the Taliban militia.

There is more than enough reason to believe that the Hussein regime will attempt to manipulate international and Iraqi opinion through inflating civilian casualties (as the Taliban did) and ploys designed to put civilians in the line of fire. Anyone who believes Hussein's minions wouldn't deliberately send a car load of women and children racing up to a military check-point as a publicity stunt is either stupid, brain damaged, or both.

In fact, the last 10 years of Iraqi history could be defined as a heated contest between those who are all-too willing to be manipulated by Saddam Hussein's masterful ploys exploiting the suffering of his people in order to turn international opinion against the United States and those who are smart enough to know a [murderous] con artist when they see one.

I won't speculate about the motives of those who, by consequence of their actions, give comfort and support to a murderous dictator. I am content to just explain them all as exceptionally stupid, and thus, unwitting puppets for Hussein. But I realize that is terribly naive, many are not by any means stupid, they actually support Hussein's murderous regime, which would make them evil, not stupid.
Meanwhile it has emerged - as a result of detective work on the internet by a Guardian reader - that the explosion in a Baghdad market which killed more than 60 people last Friday was indeed caused by a cruise missile and not an Iraqi anti-aircraft rocket as the US has suggested.
lol! How in the hell do you perform a full investigation of a market bombing in downtown Baghdad from your living room?

rolleye.gif
And you might be interested in a reporters version of this:

"A journalist's account of the killing of a car full of Iraqi civilians by US soldiers differs widely from the official military version, says Brian Whitaker"
This is a pretty good example of a hack job. The only discrepancy between the journalist's account and the official military account is the timing of the warning shots. That hardly qualifies as 'differing widely'.

There are a number of discrepancies that would qualify as 'differing widely'. Among those would be, warning shots fired vs. no warning shots fired. Another would be, no attempt at all was made to warn or stop the vehicle before opening up with machine guns vs. all reasonable and necessary attempts were made to warn or stop the vehicle before opening up with machine guns. Those are 'widely differing' versions.

A dispute over the 'timing' of the warning shots doesn't remotely qualify.

In these extremely tense situations, it is not at all unreasonable that a commander would, upon seeing that the vehicle was loaded with women and children, unload or vent extreme frustration upon his men, even if misplaced. I've seen people misplace frustration over very trivial things, hell I have misplaced frustration over trivial things. I cannot begin to imagine the kind of extreme and traumatic emotions that would follow the realization that the car in which men under your command just filled with bullets contained, not suicide bombers, but women and children.

But 98% of the people in this forum will never find themselves having to make such a choice - kill or be killed - so its easy to pass judgement while 'snapping-in' to a Slim Jim and drinking Mountain Dew from the extreme safety and comfort of your living room.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Marshallj
Can't the liberals stop the continuous bashing of Bush? It got old shortly after the election and they've been persisting ever since. If Gore was elected president I would have got over it already. Some people always have to act like activists. It gets annoying.
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Geezus, what the hell does your post have to with this thread? Are you just some anti-liberal lunatic that rants nonsensically at the drop of a hat? What the hell does Clinton have to do with any of this?

Nutcase.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Can't the liberals stop the continuous bashing of Bush? It got old shortly after the election and they've been persisting ever since. If Gore was elected president I would have got over it already. Some people always have to act like activists. It gets annoying.

Who is forcing the invasion of Iraq? Gore?

althor27

Jul 18, 2001
No, all Gore is doing is whining and second guessing (as usual). Now he has found a new crusade however....The Dixie Chicks, LOL. What an absolute moron.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Is the above a parody of the conservative's rant?:
Stop criticizing Bush! He won the 2000 election!!!!!!!
It is the fault of the tax and spend liberals!
Clinton is a sleaze ball!!!
Oh yeah, lets don't forget the social programs that do not benefit me or people like me!!!!!
The economy? That is Clinton's and those treehugger liberals' fault!!!!!

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001

But, are our schools really where the blame lies? Whatever happened to people (and kids) taking some responsibility for themselves? What happened to parents caring about their children's education? Clearly, these two issues have probably led to the biggest decline in the performance of our schools. My wife and myself have been quite active volunteers in our daughter's school for the past 4 years. Out of a class of 25 students, we're successful if we get two of the other parents to participate in some of the functions. What about the other 23 sets of parents? The parents don't give a sh!t about education and that attitude gets passed onto the students and gets in the way of them receiving a proper education.

That is part of the problem. Where I went to school money was not an issue and everybody went to college. When the football field needed new Astroturf they spent $900,000 like it was $9. But that was the exception, not the rule. Schools can't afford to keep their equipment up to date and they can't afford to pay people who are really talented to teach. The decay at home is one factor, but all the love and parental involvement in the world won't make up for a decaying educational infrastructure. Desire to learn is only part of the equation.

[Edit]: Some more ranting. If a new child enters the 3rd grade at school (in my daughter's clasroom) and can only speak Korean, who's fault is this? The schools? The girl is having a very rough time. On her first day, she used the boy's rest room. What's a school to do with such a student? How can the school successfully sign-off on this student so she can move onto the 4th grade next year? It's quite impossible.

This is a big issue in Arizona, we now have Spanish parents suing schools to teach their kids in Spanish. This, of course, is a one way ticket to being ignorant your whole life. Kids shouldn't be put into the general rotation until they can speak English. If they have to get left back a year, well that's life. If you want your kids to be taught in Spanish, send them to school in Mexico. I don't know what to do in your example, in AZ the law says you teach in English and that's that.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
The Guardian is an incredibly biased piece of crap.
Meanwhile it has emerged - as a result of detective work on the internet by a Guardian reader - that the explosion in a Baghdad market which killed more than 60 people last Friday was indeed caused by a cruise missile and not an Iraqi anti-aircraft rocket as the US has suggested.
You have to be fvcking kidding me. And I discovered Saddam has a plot to bomb NY and DC with nuclear weapons by a little investigative Internet work while sipping a coke and munching Cheetos.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
O fourse your topic's title has NOTHING to do with the rest of your post.

[/quote]

as a result of detective work on the internet by a Guardian reader WTF??!!? Maybe we should hire that guy to find out who was responsible for killing Kennedy.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: jjones
The Guardian is an incredibly biased piece of crap.
You have to be fvcking kidding me. And I discovered Saddam has a plot to bomb NY and DC with nuclear weapons by a little investigative Internet work while sipping a coke and munching Cheetos.

WOW, my own internet research not only revealed this as well, but I also actually found proof of French courage and moral value....