Thank you, Best Buy!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cavemanmoron
Originally posted by: archcommus
Too bad it isn't lifetime like the Sears associate discount. I get that forever.

So I'm guessing it would be against policy to buy stuff and resell it, huh? I'm sure that is a thought that crosses the mind of many.

:confused:
since when does Sears give lifetime employee discount?????

http://www.aboutsears.com/careers/docs/benefits_glance.pdf

you do not get a "lifetime" associate ID card.

You do if you are vested/retire from there.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
You must retire from there to keep it, but the plain and simple fact is they don't bother to deactivate your card. There are people who quit last summer who still use their card when they're in to buy clothes.

The discount will not be awesome on computer products but the only thing I'd buy from there anyway is a video card, and I will definitely get that there because I can get $55 off.

ohnnyj

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs
Too bad it isn't lifetime like the Sears associate discount. I get that forever.

So I'm guessing it would be against policy to buy stuff and resell it, huh? I'm sure that is a thought that crosses the mind of many.

Dang, what's the discount at Sears? I'd take a weekend job at Sears for a few months just to get the discount.

My Mom used to work there and had a 10% off employee discount.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: ohnnyj

Dang, what's the discount at Sears? I'd take a weekend job at Sears for a few months just to get the discount.

But it's 20% for clothes.

All in all, I'm glad I'm actually being paid very well now for this area and that I have my discount and gift cards to pick up a video card in the summer. Hopefully the job will be good or at the very least alright, but if it sucks, it's only until the end of August anyway.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: edro13
Congrats! $10/hr is good for that type of work!
I don't know about in other parts of the country, but here where department stores pay six bucks it sure is.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: bubbadu
I am sorry but Geek Squad is horrible.

For AT'ers? Yeah.

For the overwhelming majority that isn't tech-saavy? Not really. It's just like maintenance on a car. If you don't know how to do it, expect to pay out the ass for someone who does.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Injury

For AT'ers? Yeah.

For the overwhelming majority that isn't tech-saavy? Not really. It's just like maintenance on a car. If you don't know how to do it, expect to pay out the ass for someone who does.
Yep.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Injury

For AT'ers? Yeah.

I was never good at price gouging people.

I get family members and friends of family members and members of my girlfriend's family always asking me if they got screwed by the people they took their computers to. "They charged us $600 for... what was it... a motherboard? That doesn't seem right, is it?" Oh well, at least they aren't bringing them to me. :)

ohnnyj

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2004
Originally posted by: ohnnyj

But it's 20% for clothes.

All in all, I'm glad I'm actually being paid very well now for this area and that I have my discount and gift cards to pick up a video card in the summer. Hopefully the job will be good or at the very least alright, but if it sucks, it's only until the end of August anyway.

No wonder my Mom bought so much clothing :).