Thank goodness for Aldi’s

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I divide my grocery shopping between Amazon & Aldi’s….the latter has MUCH lower prices on milk, meat, veggies and cheese. I tip my shoppers decently & tend to get the same shoppers a lot. Amazon wanted over $7 for a gallon of milk…. Aldi’s was half that. We eat cheaper cuts of chicken and hamburger thank goodness for Aldi’s ❤

I like Amazon for things like their Presto paper products, dry pantry goods, oils etc. Aldi’s toilet paper is terrible but one can’t have everything 😂

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Aldi offers $2.95 where I'm at for milk. It was even less before but, supply chain and COVID probably jacked up the price. It was probably in competition with a Walmart, which offered prices as low as $1.49 back in the day.

Reactions: Geekbabe

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Aldi offers $2.95 where I'm at for milk. It was even less before but, supply chain and COVID probably jacked up the price. It was probably in competition with a Walmart, which offered prices as low as $1.49 back in the day.

Just grateful I have them & Instacart shops there ❤️

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Half gallon of Aldi milk is $2 here. Their dairy is way cheaper than our Kroger owned shops.

Aside from increases in meat prices I haven't really seen my grocery bill go up. My spouse says we would see inflation more if we shopped at the other stores.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
no for reals though, we do all call it aldi's!

most businesses in ohio gets a 's added to it if it doesn't have one

jc penney's, aldi's, meijer's, kroger's, nordstrom's

my grandpa even used to call it "going to walmart's"
Do you call it Burger King's and Walmart's too?

Reactions: Geekbabe

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Generally speaking, I have german store PTSD for anything but their "staples" that they can't mess up. Can't really mess up milk(not that I drink much of it), peanuts, ground beef. But a pizza, pastry, ice cream, I would not buy for myself or anyone else. Bought a cake a Lidl's and it was $5 of tasteless nothingness.

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Generally speaking, I have german store PTSD for anything but their "staples" that they can't mess up. Can't really mess up milk(not that I drink much of it), peanuts, ground beef. But a pizza, pastry, ice cream, I would not buy for myself or anyone else. Bought a cake a Lidl's and it was $5 of tasteless nothingness.

Their sliced sourdough bread is rather tasty

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
the Aldi in Cincinnati back in 2003 was so ghetto. I was buying items off stacks on pallets. Felt like I needed to be on government assistance to shop there. Just dismal.

Last edited:

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
no for reals though, we do all call it aldi's!

most businesses in ohio gets a 's added to it if it doesn't have one

jc penney's, aldi's, meijer's, kroger's, nordstrom's

my grandpa even used to call it "going to walmart's"
So it's not just my parents's who do that.

Aldi is great for cheap produce and items that don't vary with brand (e.g. milk is milk, egg is egg). I avoid their dodgy meat and seafood though after a few bad experiences. Especially the seafood.
Lidl is a "fun" alternative to Aldi, if you have it in your area and can do in-person shopping.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
the Aldi in Cincinnati back in 2003 was so ghetto. I was buying off stacked pallets. Felt like I needed to be on government assistance to shop there. Just dismal.

that's still how it is, it saves money that way

i still go there but i make sure to avoid the days of the month when people get their food stamps

for a couple years i shopped at nice places (trader joe-style places) but then i realized that i'd rather just have the money

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
that's still how it is, it saves money that way

i still go there but i make sure to avoid the days of the month when people get their food stamps

for a couple years i shopped at nice places (trader joe-style places) but then i realized that i'd rather just have the money
Trader Joe doesn't seem particularly "nice" or expensive to me, guess it depends on who it's being compared to. All the Kroger-owned stores I've shopped at seem a little more on the expensive side, so now it mostly seems like my options are Target, Walmart, Kroger-owned "regional" store, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and if you're lucky, Aldi. I guess there are still some that Kroger hasn't bought yet, we have WinCo out here, and Hy-Vee in the Midwest. WinCo is on the cheaper side, Hy-Vee is not.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Aldi's fantastic. It's my primary grocery store. Pretty much all their stuff at least equals the big national brands in quality, and many times surpasses it. They annihilate the local walmart for price, and it's like whole foods in comparison.