Thank God for service packs!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
SQL Server 2k. Just put in SP3. Now it won't load or do a fvcking thing. So glad I installed it!

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
... and here you are, with no 3rd party companies to blame it on...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Rule of thumb about MS service packs: Always stay 1 - 2 behind until you know about all possible issues.

Microsoft thanks you for updating :)

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Heh. Call Microsoft. Oh, wait, they'll tell you to reformat *eye roll*

And why are you using MSSQL?

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
It's the fault of the guy next to you. Solution: Stand up and beat the crap outta him. All better now. Server boots and everything!

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Heh. Call Microsoft. Oh, wait, they'll tell you to reformat *eye roll*

And why are you using MSSQL?
Why not? :)

better then POS oracle

did you look at the logs? most likely they have turned on strict security settings or something

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What do you mean it "won't load?" Does the service not start up? Can you not connect to the server via QA or EM? If it doesn't start, you should receive an indication as Ameesh has said (event logs or otherwise).

I'm running SQL 2k SP3 on all my boxen and haven't any issues.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes
What do you mean it "won't load?" Does the service not start up? Can you not connect to the server via QA or EM? If it doesn't start, you should receive an indication as Ameesh has said (event logs or otherwise).

If I try and run service manager I get nothing. Just an hourglass over my cursor and nothing. If I try and run enterprise manager I get that ever-annoying "microsoft management console has encountered an error" then you can send the problem to MS or not. And that's about it.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

If I try and run service manager I get nothing. Just an hourglass over my cursor and nothing. If I try and run enterprise manager I get that ever-annoying "microsoft management console has encountered an error" then you can send the problem to MS or not. And that's about it.

nice

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Ouch. I'm assuming you've bounced the server since applying the SP at least? I've never had MMC crash on me like that, but I use QA most of the time. Any indication in the event log? Worst case at this point is just doing a reinstall of SS and the client tools and reapplication of the SP.

Also, is this actually SQL 2K or is it MSDE? I've known some to have problems with MSDE when they install the client tools to try and administer it.

Have fun! :beer::cool:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yeah this is SQL 2k. I installed the developer version just before putting on SP3. Not sure what you mean by bouncing, but if it's got anything to do with restarting I've tried that ;) I can't load QA either or anything related to SQL for that matter. This is what I"m getting in the event log for sql server, at the end before it buggars up I guess:
2003-10-02 15:06:48.05 spid3 SQL global counter collection task is created.
2003-10-02 15:06:48.14 spid3 Warning: override, autoexec procedures skipped.
2003-10-02 15:07:02.70 spid3 SQL Server is terminating due to 'stop' request from Service Control Manager.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Man, not sure. I looked on google groups but didn't come up with anything conclusive.

Maybe Ameesh can check RAID for you? :)
Maybe if ameesh spent more time WORKING and less time on ATOT then he could solve this for me

:evil:

I'm gonna kill the SS install. I had only a couple of remote servers registered anyway and nothing local :)

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
You REALLY REALLY need to have some type of testing server to test patches/service packs on. And then even when you think the box is going to be OK, Ghost your production box just to be sure.

Dave