Thai Prime Minister to attempt to use talks to resolve the insurgency in the south...

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6061264.stm

This will be a nice interesting break and change from the method that the previos PM used. Thaksin essentially took a hard "no compromise" stand, and this new PM whom everyone seems to love (though he was appointed by the government...) wants to change that.
e
Of course that doesn't mean that thailand will give up that peice of land which has more ethnic, cultural and religios connection to Malaysia. However- despite meeting with the rebels, the Malaysian PM made it clear that "they are Thai citizens"
I'm not here to debate whether or not they are Thai Nationals (and to a degree I don't care), but the point is a new even handed approach will be taken, especially as (the article states) people are recognizing that the violence isn't that "Muslim Insurgency" but gangs are apparantly playing a role (of course stuff like gangs thrive in Chaotic aras)

The southern violence has claimed more than 1,500 lives since January 2004.

Officials blame Muslim rebels for much of the unrest, although criminal gangs are also thought to be behind some of the attacks.

Thailand's new rulers have already said they want to hold talks with the insurgents - another policy change from that of Mr Thaksin, whose government repeatedly refused to egotiate.

And its great that Malaysia has stated it is willing to help play a role in the peace process. Lets hope that this discourse leads to a calming of the region - as hopefully those in the South must accept - and hopefully in the end do it proudly - that they are Thai Citizens, and hopefully the Bangkok government will not repress Muslims like it has in the past (from which i have posted on before). Working together and engaging eachother even if rogue elements still preform some heinous acts is infinitely better than raw violence coming from both sides.