TFT question need help

ShinGouki

Jan 23, 2003
Ok i have the option of getting one of these two monitors,

Price is very low for me on this as I am getting it from someone i know so no pointing to Samsung 172T or the Hitachi that anand reviewed recently as optional purchase please.

Its just that i found this and it says 16ms response time, and a contrast ratio of 500:1/

Do you think this is the same panel as the Hitachi that Anand just reviewed???? It has a much higher contrast ratio.
Here is the Monitor I have been offered

Now although its gonna cost me about $200 less than the Hitachi i just want to know what you guys think of it as i can't find a review anywhere. I am a gamer so i have a 19" trinitron at the moment, do you think this new monitor will be up to scratch. I do alot of programming as well so Im hoping the TFT would relieve a lot of headaches in that department. If anyone has any useful information on this monitor id really appreciate it.

The other option i have is this
Other option

This is actually their higher spec model, but it has a slower response of 25ms (about standard on decent 17" i think)
So im not sure if its just the USB2 crap etc.. thats making it more expensive

Let me know what you guys think

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
Get the Hitachi 16ms one.
I have one, they rule for everything. None of the TFT problems that other TFTs have(trails, ghosting, ect;).
You wont regret getting one.

Gosharkss

Nov 10, 2000
Be careful of the Zero Dead pixel policy. In fact Hitachi has a zero dead pixel policy, so do most other manufactures. However they say nothing about dead sub pixels. A pixel is made up of 3 sub pixels one red, one green and one, blue. Three adjacent sub pixels is very rare however dead sub pixels are very common.

The ISO13406-2 specification CTX talks about has an allowance for dead sub pixels.

BoomAM

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2001
Agreed.
If you but from a shop, ask if you can inspect it.
There a UK online store, cant remember the name, that for an extra £10 will guarantee no dead pixels/sub pixels.
The shop that i brought mine from Overclockers UK, said that with every hitachi that they`ve shiped/sold, there have been no reports of dead pixels/sub pixels.
Plus TFT manufacturing technology has improved considerably, so they chances of a dead pixel are far less than before.