TF2 running with extreme video lag - can't even navigate the menus.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Ok, so my mobo died a few weeks ago, I waited on a new board (different board) and installed it when it got here. Reformatted, reinstalled Windows Vista x64, installed Steam, installed HL2/TF2/WoW/WC3 - the games I play the most. I just went to play TF2 today for the first time since installing (and since the new patch) and the performance is AWFUL. I can't even navigate the menus without difficulty - it's running as if it's got extreme video lag/CPU bogdown - it just chugs/stutters its way through. Anyone know what could be causing this? Here's the hardware:

EVGA nForce 750i SLI FTW
Q6600
4GB DDR2 800
8800GT

Here we can see that it is not inadequate hardware - in fact, minus the change of board, I played TF2 without a problem prior to the upgrade of my mobo. Here's the worst (best?) part - HL2 runs fine. This one confuses me .. I thought it might be a driver problem (perhaps sound, since my onboard sound is different) but if HL2 runs fine, shouldn't TF2 run fine as well? Aren't they both essentially the same software?

Sink41

Sep 7, 2007
I think tf2 is a more updated version, though yes it is essentially same software. Try defrag tf2 files, probably not the problem but can't hurt (either through normal defrag or steam can do it if you right click on game > Properties> local files > defrag cache files). Verify integrity of game cache will make sure nothing is corrupted, could also do that.

Updating drivers probably wont hurt either.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Sink41
I think tf2 is a more updated version, though yes it is essentially same software. Try defrag tf2 files, probably not the problem but can't hurt (either through normal defrag or steam can do it if you right click on game > Properties> local files > defrag cache files). Verify integrity of game cache will make sure nothing is corrupted, could also do that.

Updating drivers probably wont hurt either.

Verifying now. All my drivers are completely up to date, I just reinstalled Windows/updated 3 days ago. :p

169.25's are the same drivers for my 8800GT I used prior to my mobo upgrade.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Ok, this is really hard to describe but the problem resolves itself when I get any kind of popup in game. For example, it'll chug along, but if I go to Find Servers.. and try to join a full server, as soon as the "server is full" box pops up, the lag vanishes. Also, if I'm sitting at the menu and a friend logs on/messages me, the lag vanishes. The lag does not return when the box goes away, but it does return when I restart the game. I realize I now have a work around - but does anyone have idea wtf this is? Or has anyone heard of any similar problems?

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
get rid of the nvidia network access manager that you most likely installed with the mobo drivers and your problem should be gone.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JAG87
get rid of the nvidia network access manager that you most likely installed with the mobo drivers and your problem should be gone.

Damnit, I coulda sworn I neglected to install that component - perhaps when I updated my drivers and downloaded the new nForce package I forgot. Thanks though, such crap.