TF2 beta with Orange Box Pre-Order

aggressor

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
You can pre-load now if you buy the Orange Box version, but if you have the ATI coupon code, apparently you can't :(

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Tempted until I saw the word Beta. Not a fan of being an official "probe" so I'll just wait for the Orange box.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
So Orange box is Episode 2, TF, and Portal or HL2:, Ep 1+2, TF, and Portal?

If it's the latter, why am I being forced to buy HL2 and Ep1 twice?

FlasHBurN

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Whatever happened to the Black Box that was supposed to be Steam only? It would only include TF2, EP 2, and Portal.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ayabe
So Orange box is Episode 2, TF, and Portal or HL2:, Ep 1+2, TF, and Portal?

If it's the latter, why am I being forced to buy HL2 and Ep1 twice?

Orange Box is HL2, Episode 1, Episode 2, TF2, Portal and I guess you can now include that Peggle thing for a limited time. If you already own HL2 and Ep 1 then you could always buy the other ones separately. There was a "Black Box" package planned that was just Episode 2, TF2 and Portal but that was canned in retail but maybe it'll show up as a package on Steam.

Just have to wait a bit I guess to see what Valve does.

I only own HL2 so I'm tempted to pick Orange Box up for 45 bucks. I could always give my original HL2 key to a pal.

JorynnRace

Sep 7, 2007
This is TOTAL BS. I already own HL2 and HL2 Ep1, and there is no seperate package deal for just Portal, EP 2, and TF2.

Oh, but they are telling us we can buy it again and just give it to our friends as a gift?!?!?

They have some creative guys in their marketing team that's for sure. They make you buy something twice and try to make it seem like you're still getting a deal!

Valve can eat a salted wank. This is such a slap in the face to loyal customers who already forked over a bunch of cash for their products.

I'm not buying EP2 or TF2 until they come seperately in their own package deal (which should be less then the cost of the Orange Box). No way I'm paying for HL2 and Ep1 twice. Even if it is ""...the package which could legitimately be called the deal of the century." ? IGN".

pffft.. right.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: JorynnRace
This is TOTAL BS. I already own HL2 and HL2 Ep1, and there is no seperate package deal for just Portal, EP 2, and TF2.

Oh, but they are telling us we can buy it again and just give it to our friends as a gift?!?!?

They have some creative guys in their marketing team that's for sure. They make you buy something twice and try to make it seem like you're still getting a deal!

Valve can eat a salted wank. This is such a slap in the face to loyal customers who already forked over a bunch of cash for their products.

I'm not buying EP2 or TF2 until they come seperately in their own package deal (which should be less then the cost of the Orange Box). No way I'm paying for HL2 and Ep1 twice. Even if it is ""...the package which could legitimately be called the deal of the century." ? IGN".

pffft.. right.

Well put, but anyone who says their computer is 'how they roll' gets immediately disqualified.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
TF2 should be $19.95 and SHOULD NOT require any other game to play it.

This is the only game I want, and I shouldn't be forced to purchase games I don't want to play.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah that is complete crap what they are doing to buyers of the original HL2. Sure I could give that HL2 from the Orange Box to a friend, but damn, call me an asshole, but I don't buy games for friends considering I can afford maybe 3-4 games per year.

And it sucks that Ep2 + TF2 would be $60!! I don't care too much about Portal, and I don't own Ep1 even.

Bah, they got me. At least I'm not re-buying CS:S and/or DoD:S as well. I know I definitely want TF2, and almost surely want Ep2, which means I'd need Ep1... so it'd cost way more separately. Still, they should offer a gd bundle for the people who bought the previous games.

edit: Cause damn would I like to play TF2 STAT, beta or not. Thinking about it, I'll want TF2 no matter what. So $30 for that, or for an extra $15, I can finally play Ep1, Ep2 (cause I wouldn't play/buy Ep2 without the 1st one), and Portal might be entertaining enough. It'd be ideal to be able to sell the HL2 that comes with the Orange Box. Still, their marketing, however schiesty, and I should voice my opinion with my money, but damn they got me. I'll probably be buying the whole damn thing.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Extremely lame that there is no TF2 + Portals + Episode II package for less than buying those + HL2 and Episode I.

Buying them separately costs $80? Nice going Valve. :roll:

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Haui
TF2 should be $19.95 and SHOULD NOT require any other game to play it.

This is the only game I want, and I shouldn't be forced to purchase games I don't want to play.

Doug Lombardi already confirmed that you'll be able to buy all of the games separately so no-one is forcing you do to anything.

Steam

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Sigh. . .

HL2 and Ep. 1 are FREE in the Orange box. AND you get a discount on the package purchase of the three new games. Yes, I paid for HL2 and Ep. 1 years ago but the prices of games go down over time. Now they have gone to free. It's not punishment for early adoption, ala the IPhone, HL2 is a three year old game! Get over it.

The really sad thing is that this is just psychology. Nobody here is going to argue that $45.00 is too much to spend for three games from a quality developer like Valve. If the Black Box cost $45.00 and the Orange one cost $60.00 this forum would be filled with people cheering about the great deal they're getting.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Daverino
Sigh. . .

HL2 and Ep. 1 are FREE in the Orange box. AND you get a discount on the package purchase of the three new games. Yes, I paid for HL2 and Ep. 1 years ago but the prices of games go down over time. Now they have gone to free. It's not punishment for early adoption, ala the IPhone, HL2 is a three year old game! Get over it.

The really sad thing is that this is just psychology. Nobody here is going to argue that $45.00 is too much to spend for three games from a quality developer like Valve. If the Black Box cost $45.00 and the Orange one cost $60.00 this forum would be filled with people cheering about the great deal they're getting.

Exactly :thumbsup:

The Black Box was canned but the Orange Box price is so low I don't care. I get 4 new games (including the customised Peggle thing) and 2 games to give away to a friend, for less than the cost of 1 retail game.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Daverino
Sigh. . .

There is no such thing as "free". The cost is factored into the price of the package and those people who already own HL2 and EP1 are subsidizing costs for people who don't. Even if the cost of the now non-existent Black Box was $5 lower, many of us would still buy it. We have no need to repurchase something we already spent $50-60 for months/years ago.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I may be missing something, but when you buy the orange box through steam how the flying frick can you give the games you have to somebody else? I've bought games through them before, and there aren't any cd keys like when you get retail stuff. I don't see how you could split the back between more than 1 account.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Thank you

edit: just saw that you can't sell your 'gifts' if you already have the game. That's absolutely ridiculous... I refuse to buy TF2 unless they change that.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Thank you

edit: just saw that you can't sell your 'gifts' if you already have the game. That's absolutely ridiculous... I refuse to buy TF2 unless they change that.

So you're angry you can't sell your gifts? boo freakin hoo. Here's an idea - give your "friend" the "gift" while your "friend" gives you CASH for the gift. ;)

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
Honestly, $45 is a fair price for the 3 add-ons already, I see having HL2 and Ep1 in the package as a bonus. Do you really expect to pay $30 for Episode 2, Portal AND TF2? Don't be silly now, most game add-ons are in the $20 range nowadays. If the package is still $45 but without HL2 and Episode 1, would that make you happier? I know people that dont have HL2, so I'll be happy to share them one of the best games ever made.

Apr 17, 2005
yeah 45 is a great price for what you are getting. valve could easily charge 20 for each of the games separately. i dont have ep1 either, so the only game i'd have an extra copy off is HL2.

I know steam says we cant sell hl2, which is complete horseshit. what i want to know is that we would be allowed to put it up for sale on AT FS/FT or would it be prohibited?