TexasMan Kills Innocent Guy Sitting In Parked Car For No Apparent Reason.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Guns turn a lot of people into hammers. When you are a hammer you see nails everywhere. I get a laugh every time my coworker talks about his concealed carry, he literally thinks meth addicts or illegal immigrant rapists or other boogeymen are hiding behind every tree.

I guess it's no different from my homemade meteorite deflection hat. It's a pain to wear and hazardous for others to be near, but hey, it could save my life someday!

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Do SYG laws allow shooting someone as they are retreating?
SYG means the shooter isn't required to retreat even if that option is readily available. Castle doctrines let you "defend you property". Some states let you shoot so one that is committing a felony on your property. None of those should apply to someone driving away, in their own vehicle, on a public street.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
This is why, if I ever take a wrong turn somewhere, I never try to make a 3 point turn out of someone's driveway.

Not saying this was justified, only that people are crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse and hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Isn't this the kind of person who should never have been granted a gun license?

If you are prone to shoot someone just because the park their car on your driveway or in another case shoot someone because they rang your doorbell asking for directions that kind of behavior should have been pre screened.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
SYG means the shooter isn't required to retreat even if that option is readily available. Castle doctrines let you "defend you property". Some states let you shoot so one that is committing a felony on your property. None of those should apply to someone driving away, in their own vehicle, on a public street.
But defend against what?, dude was not armed and 100% the gunner just made up the "he reached for a gun" crap to try and justify someone who was clearly retreating. The whole SYG theory revolves around someone actually being a threat, mistakenly pulling into a driveway while unarmed is not a threat, it's possible trespass.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
But defend against what?, dude was not armed and 100% the gunner just made up the "he reached for a gun" crap to try and justify someone who was clearly retreating. The whole SYG theory revolves around someone actually being a threat, mistakenly pulling into a driveway while unarmed is not a threat, it's possible trespass.
Both of my posts clearly say that the shooter was in the wrong. I agree that SYG laws are problematic at best and a license to murder in most cases.

The bigest problem of SYG laws is that it often makes people more aggressive. Many times, the shooter is the one instigating and escalating the conflict, then when the other person is scared and tried to defend themselves the gun owner claims that they feared for their lives.

It really is just another example of how white southern Republicans are really just racist cowards.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm not saying the guy handled the situation right...but if I find someone parked in my driveway next to my truck, (1) the cops are gonna be called, (2) me and him are gonna have problems. I probably wouldn't shoot him as he drove away...but...maybe?
I fucking hate thieves...and yes, my stuff is more valuable to me than some rando thief's life.

Pulling up the location on a map, it appears to be on a dead end street off a highway. So my guess is that the victim was checking the map in his phone while turning around in the perp's driveway.
Nobody likes thieves, of course, but shooting first and asking questions later is a good way to get a murder conviction.
And BTW, just so you don't make the same mistake, the Supremes have already decided long ago that defense of property is not self-defense.

And FWIW, I blame this incident on the right-wing propaganda and gossip machines that pumps unfounded fears of crime. The perp here had every opportunity to be a good samaritan, and didn't.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Isn't this the kind of person who should never have been granted a gun license?

If you are prone to shoot someone just because the park their car on your driveway or in another case shoot someone because they rang your doorbell asking for directions that kind of behavior should have been pre screened.
I don't think anyone should have a gun unless licensed, vetted and authorized and that does NOT include people who aren't military or law enforcement. I also think that none of these people should have guns in their possession when they are not on duty, i.e. that they have to check them out and in. Exception would be hunters, but they should be at least as carefully vetted and do the check out/in thing as well.

People are crazy in America. I live in a liberal town that's incredibly diverse in ethnicity, no Republican stronghold. In fact there are almost no Republicans living here.

I go skating for over an hour every day on a street that runs a block from my house, a designated "Healthy Street" in my town. Signs were put up over a year ago saying "15 MPH" and that it's bicycles and emergency vehicles only, "Please seek alternative routes," etc. Drivers have repeatedly mowed down the signs with their trucks/cars, I don't know what. None of these signs would be up now if not for me and another guy who have renovated them, repaired them (only half the signs remain in any form). Drivers vary, some are just out of control assholes with attitude, don't GAF about driving decorum or the laws if they figure no cop is watching. A guy peeled out next to me yesterday, screeching, burning rubber and taking off down the main drag in a right turn, the smell was intense. Some of these guys have guns, I don't doubt it for a second. The possibility that one of these guys will shoot me and drive on is there. America is crazy, gun crazy.

Last edited:

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Stand your ground is insanity. It's one of the reasons I want to get out of Florida once my youngest graduates. I figure I have far more chance of being shot by one of these wannabe wyatt earps than I do an actual "bad guy".

Desantis is now offering anti-vax cops 5000 dollars to move here so that's just another reason to gtfo.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Stand your ground is insanity. It's one of the reasons I want to get out of Florida once my youngest graduates. I figure I have far more chance of being shot by one of these wannabe wyatt earps than I do an actual "bad guy".

Desantis is now offering anti-vax cops 5000 dollars to move here so that's just another reason to gtfo.
Desanity is some piece of work. If people don't wake up in Florida, that state is gonna be in big trouble what with rising sea level and more and more intense hurricanes going forward. Horrible leadership is the last thing they need.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Even beyond that, I'm fairly certain in Texas you don't even have to be defending your property. Remember that guy it Texas who shot the dudes robbing his neighbor's house?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Terry Duane Turner, 65, of Martindale, Texas, turned himself in Friday after an arrest warrant accused him of murdering Adil Dghoughi in the early morning of Oct. 11.

Investigators said Turner shot the 31-year-old Moroccan immigrant as the man was backing out of Turner’s driveway about 3:40 a.m. After the shooting, Turner told a 911 operator that the motorist had pulled a gun on him. Investigators said they found no firearm in the car.

Turner turned himself in the day after a warrant was issued for his arrest and was released on a $150,000 bond.

Justice System - Excuse me sir, you are accused of Murder and this is your jail cell.
American - I'll give you money if you let me go home.
Justice system - Ok. Come back on this date and promise not bother anyone else while you are away.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Muse

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
LOL at the article right below it:

Compare and contrast:
1644511323595.png
"Adil Dghoughi, 31, was shot in his car outside a home in Martindale, Texas, on Oct. 11.
The CCSO said on Thursday, Oct. 21, an arrest warrant was obtained for 65-year-old Terry Duane Turner for the murder of 31-year-old Adil Dghoughi. Detectives reached out to Turner's attorney, who said Turner would be turning himself in. He was taken into custody on Friday morning. Turner's bond was set at $150,000 and he bonded out of jail less than two hours later, according to online records."

1644511379633.png
"Police say the suspect shot a man inside a vehicle on Elmont Drive on Jan. 27.
The Lonestar Fugitive Taskforce arrested Kendall Iwuagwu Tuesday. He has been booked into the Travis County Jail for allegedly commiting first-degree murder after killing a 20-year-old man. Bond is set at $1,000,000."

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Compare and contrast:
View attachment 57252
"Adil Dghoughi, 31, was shot in his car outside a home in Martindale, Texas, on Oct. 11.
The CCSO said on Thursday, Oct. 21, an arrest warrant was obtained for 65-year-old Terry Duane Turner for the murder of 31-year-old Adil Dghoughi. Detectives reached out to Turner's attorney, who said Turner would be turning himself in. He was taken into custody on Friday morning. Turner's bond was set at $150,000 and he bonded out of jail less than two hours later, according to online records."

View attachment 57254
The Lonestar Fugitive Taskforce arrested Kendall Iwuagwu Tuesday. He has been booked into the Travis County Jail for allegedly commiting first-degree murder after killing a 20-year-old man. Bond is set at $1,000,000."
Waiting for a response from @raildogg and others that deny blacks are treated more harshly by the CJS

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

Compare and contrast:
View attachment 57252

View attachment 57254

Apples to Oranges that taste like apples
There are probably better comparisons on the whole bail situation than this one
Witnesses said an individual had approached Mata in a parking lot in the 2500 block of Elmont Drive, demanding his money. The suspect then shot Mata and fled on foot.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Dghoughi came to the U.S. in 2012 from Morocco in search of a better education, his mother, Fatiha Haouass, told the Austin American-Statesman. He attended Johnson & Wales University in Rhode Island and graduated with a master’s degree in business administration and finance, she said.

Dghoughi moved to Austin and was seeking work as a financial analyst. His family said he had several job interviews lined up at the time of his death.

“He was just looking for a better life,” Haouass said.

What an awful situation. One man is dead and another has ruined his life, and a family will never see their son again.