Texas teen points to heavens, gets 4×100 relay squad banned from state championships

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So what gesture did he do to the officials that caused the entire team to be DQ'd? One side he pointed to the heavens. The other says he was disrespectful towards meet officials.

Apr 27, 2012
More like playing the victim by Christians continues. It's not like the students fill out a form prior to racing indicating their religion. For all the judges know he could've been Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, or atheist. He was DQed for breaking a rule. If he hadn't been a Christian who decided to whine and cry about it, we wouldn't have heard of this. If he'd been literally ANY other religion this wouldn't have made the news. But some Christians have taken to playing the victim as much as possible in this nation lately.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to what has been happening to Christians in the US. They have been under constant attack.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Have you been paying attention to everything that is happening?

You mean the incessant whining because people didn't get exactly what they wanted in a secular society? Yes, and frankly its 99% BS. There isn't a war on Christians or their holidays in this country. Sure does make some people some money though to keep claiming otherwise.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Maybe Jesus could be their alternate. Rain day? no way, this guy is so fast he can walk on water!!

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
When I ran track through CIF and state finals in So Cal I saw a number celebratory gestures and only one DQ. The DQ was for a runner intentioanlly tripping another athlete during a tight turn in the 800M. DQ's were rightfully very rare and reserved for particularly abusive offenses.

Refs should be scolded for the actions here, not the athlete. There should be discretion used when you are going to kill a state finals bid, one that these kids and coaches worked for for a very long time. Taking that away is a very mean spirited thing to do. Rigorously adhering to the law regardless of it's intent is a self righteous act of very weak minded souls. This is something we see in public education quite often, and we have liberals here backing this notion up as well. Sometimes the price of being right,.. is well being right.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
So what gesture did he do to the officials that caused the entire team to be DQ'd? One side he pointed to the heavens. The other says he was disrespectful towards meet officials.

Maybe he pointed to heaven, an official came up and told him that was a no no, and he told them to shove it.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010

He pointed to the heavens, to celebrate. Team was disqualified based on "excessive celbration" interpretation of rule book. The team then reacted to the DQ by being upset, supposedly tossing/kicking the baton. Obviously they didn't react to winning the event by kicking the baton as some have suggested.

We can use a bit of intelligent thought and realize the team wasn't disrespectful after winning the event, they got upset after being DQ'd.

The DQ rule is a judgement call. Anyone who wouldn't be upset after winning an event and being DQ'd on terms we see here,... would never have the ability to win the event in the first place.

The team was way ahead of the 2nd place finishers, so I can see a judge interpreting the "ownage" in the race, plus the pointing to the skies as excessive. Of course that would make him a dipshit.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I guess you can say that the team can now thank the lord for being DQ'd? gg humans...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Still waiting for some of the usual suspects to put down their Christian card and admit this had nothing to do with an attack on Christianity and how they'd be singing a different tune if they were runners from Fordson High School in Dearborn, Michigan (This WAS Texas for goodness sake and Christ wouldn't allow such a travesty to occur). Would be fun to watch the complete 180 degree creeping Sharia Law turn some would be making here. You know who you are.

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
He was disqualified for violating rule 4-6-1. Here is the text of 4-6-1.

It's in fact extremely easy to see how flipping someone off would fit under that.

Which right now is only an assumption. There isn't one news outlet that has mentioned he was flipping off the officials.

Feb 10, 2000
I think the suspension is silly if all he did was point upward, but this has nothing to do with any religious persecution.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Which right now is only an assumption. There isn't one news outlet that has mentioned he was flipping off the officials.

Sure. I was responding to a post that directly asked how 'flipping them off' would be a violation.

Does anyone really think the refs got together (in Texas, no less!) and decided that they needed to ban this team because of some religious reason? Really?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Sure. I was responding to a post that directly asked how 'flipping them off' would be a violation.

Does anyone really think the refs got together (in Texas, no less!) and decided that they needed to ban this team because of some religious reason? Really?

Everyone knows the the only godless liberals in Texas are the high school track refs. ;)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
He pointed to the heavens, to celebrate. Team was disqualified based on "excessive celbration" interpretation of rule book. The team then reacted to the DQ by being upset, supposedly tossing/kicking the baton. Obviously they didn't react to winning the event by kicking the baton as some have suggested.

We can use a bit of intelligent thought and realize the team wasn't disrespectful after winning the event, they got upset after being DQ'd.

The DQ rule is a judgement call. Anyone who wouldn't be upset after winning an event and being DQ'd on terms we see here,... would never have the ability to win the event in the first place.

The team was way ahead of the 2nd place finishers, so I can see a judge interpreting the "ownage" in the race, plus the pointing to the skies as excessive. Of course that would make him a dipshit.

i been looking and this is pretty much what i read. they got mad after the DQ and they were DQed for pointing up.

WTF though the backlash is getting worse. they should not have been DQ'ed

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Kinda sounds more like the official made a bonehead call and the the runner got pissed off so now they are using that as the basis for upholding the DQ. Fact is H.S athletics officials can at times be pretty bad and make really dumb decisions. Unfortunately the unwritten rule among H.S. athletics officials is to always support another officials decision no matter how wrong it is. I have seen this in my state on more than 1 occasion. Seems it happens all over.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Matt1970 only showing a one-sided partial view on a story? No wai!

Apr 27, 2012
You mean the incessant whining because people didn't get exactly what they wanted in a secular society? Yes, and frankly its 99% BS. There isn't a war on Christians or their holidays in this country. Sure does make some people some money though to keep claiming otherwise.

I am not sure if you're a Christian. Do you remember what happened to them during Christmas and Easter? The attacks against Christians by associates of obama, obama saying the US isn't a Christian nation, forcing the Catholic Church to violate its beliefs. Christians over the world are being killed and hardly anything is heard.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I am not sure if you're a Christian. Do you remember what happened to them during Christmas and Easter? The attacks against Christians by associates of obama, obama saying the US isn't a Christian nation, forcing the Catholic Church to violate its beliefs. Christians over the world are being killed and hardly anything is heard.
I definitely heard some clapping.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006

The US is not a Christian Nation - there is a thing here called "Separation of Church and State".