Texas teen killed in weightlifting accident

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Safeway
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

It's not really that high for a big guy. I could bench 315 when I was 16 after working out for around 3 years. I am a big guy, so it just depends on your build. A few other big guys from my school were able to bench around the 300 mark, and several could bench 225 - 265. I'm not sure why so many in this thread are in disbelief at the weight - it seems about right to me for a high school athlete with a big structure.

Amused - exactly what I was thinking. You are just trying to be cool or show-off if you are lifting without a spotter. I've never lifted anything heavy without another person there to assist and never will. It's just stupid.

I am just saying that I can't bench 285, and apparently, neither could he. I am not saying that young kids can't bench that much.

I am saying that the guy claiming 500 pound benching is full of shat.

I wasn't really talking directly to you. It was more of a general statement for this thread.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
Originally posted by: Shadowknight
I'm recovering from a non-weight lifting injury (don't ask) but when I get healed up, I'm looking to push a max of 100 with the weight I have at home. Anything higher and it's the machines for me. Safety FTW.

Sorry, but living in fear FTL. Lifting with machines doesn't feel nearly the same as holding the bar on your own. I've been lifting for over 10 years now, and I can safely say that all the times I've lifted on a machine, I'm not nearly as sore. When you hold the bar yourself, you have to stabilize it and control the movement. Those are some of the most important muscles to exercise because if they don't strengthen while your bigger, more obvious muscles do, you are much more likely to have an injury regardless of what you are doing. Restricting yourself to only machines is poor form at best.

Agreed. Strengthening your core using free weights is much better. In fact, I think that using any type of core support is illegitimate and unhealthy. If your core can't handle the weight, don't lift it. The only bracing that I use are wrist supporting gloves, but I am target my wrists and grip in general to strengthen them.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: eits
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: glenn beck
Originally posted by: halik
16 year old benching 240? Uhhh...

pshh there was a kid in my high school that could bench close to 500. Course he was on steroids, but that's besides the point. Come to think of it the whole football team was benching 300+ so 240 is not that out of place for a 16 year old to do

Uh huh... :roll:

Anabolics when you're 16... riiight.

are you kidding? there are thousands and thousands of high school lifters and athletes who are on the juice.

I would venture to say that there are a million people in the US on juice. Roughly?

probably, but i'm thinking about just high school-aged kids... and i'm sure about 97+% of that population are males.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
Originally posted by: TallBill
Don't really need a spotter if you know your limits. Plenty of people lift without spotters. Anyways, 240 is a lot to be doing anything for a 16 year old. Pretty ***** way to find your son.

Wrong, you ALWAYS use a spotter. Its like looking both ways before crossing the street. Its a really dumb thing to do to not use one, case and point with this kid

Sorry, but we're going to have to disagree on this one.

i did 250 at 16

Ok, so its entirely possible. I guess we probably won't ever know in this case.

Whether you like to use one or not is an entirely different story. Its like saying that you should always wear a life preserver when on a boat. Should you? Probably, but that doesnt mean im gonna wear one

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Darwin.

And sorry, guys, there were jocks at my high school in the "300 club." One kid broke the state record for deadlifts. Some may have been juicing, but I don't think he was, as he wasn't ripped or buffed, just freakin' Frankenstein huge.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
I would venture to say that there are a million people in the US on juice. Roughly?

probably, but i'm thinking about just high school-aged kids... and i'm sure about 97+% of that population are males.

With the other 3-% being females on hormone replacement therapy.

cycleman77

Jan 16, 2001
I'm not that big into lifting, but when using the barbell on the bench, isn't the position of the bar suppose to be move over your chest and not your neck?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
First off, how the hell to you drop it on YOUR NECK? The only way I see this happening, is if he wasn't using his thumb to wrap around the bar. And it would either have to have dropped when he just unracked it, or was in the process of racking it. Either way, that is pretty high up, and with 240lbs (yes, that is A LOT for a 16yr old) coming down on your neck, the only thing the spotter could have done was take the bar off his neck and call 911. I'm surprised anyone could even survive something like that, even with a spotter.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by: cycleman77
I'm not that big into lifting, but when using the barbell on the bench, isn't the position of the bar suppose to be move over your chest and not your neck?

To me, it seems like he tried to lift too much weight, and his arms probably collapsed as soon as he un-racked the weight, which would explain why it wound up on his neck. If it dropped onto his neck, I don't think theres much he could have done to remove the weight..

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: JackBurton
First off, how the hell to you drop it on YOUR NECK? The only way I see this happening, is if he wasn't using his thumb to wrap around the bar. And it would either have to have dropped when he just unracked it, or was in the process of racking it. Either way, that is pretty high up, and with 240lbs (yes, that is A LOT for a 16yr old) coming down on your neck, the only thing the spotter could have done was take the bar off his neck and call 911. I'm surprised anyone could even survive something like that, even with a spotter.

He was found with it on his neck. It could have rolled off his chest after lifting correctly and something went wrong. Have some heart Columbo...

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004

Haven't you seen the video of the HUGE FAT guy benching like 700 lbs? He is almost a perfect sphere.

Anyway, he gets folded in half by the weight on his chest/stomach/knees sphere.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: MrLee

He was found with it on his neck. It could have rolled off his chest after lifting correctly and something went wrong. Have some heart Columbo...

Ahh ok, that make more sense.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Haven't you seen the video of the HUGE FAT guy benching like 700 lbs? He is almost a perfect sphere.

Anyway, he gets folded in half by the weight on his chest/stomach/knees sphere.

You talking about a power lifter losing the weight (using an open grip) and it drops on their chest? Yeah, I've seen that. Now if they dropped it on their neck, game over. Spotter or not.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Plenty of people have spotters that help rack/unrack the weight. At the very least, a spotter could've slowed the descent or inadvertently deflected it a bit so it didn't land right on his throat (possibly enough to save his life, and I'm not saying that it would've been a conscious effort, just pure dumb luck). Hell, a spotter would've been there to call 911 and since his neck wasn't broken, possibly giving paramedics enough time to perform an emergency tracheotomy. At best, he could've helped rack/unrack the weight and avoided injury/death all together.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Darwin.

And sorry, guys, there were jocks at my high school in the "300 club." One kid broke the state record for deadlifts. Some may have been juicing, but I don't think he was, as he wasn't ripped or buffed, just freakin' Frankenstein huge.

Steroids don't automatically make you "ripped". That is still a function of your diet, just like it is for natural lifters. Even if you were on a stack of steroids, you will still gain fat if calories in > calories out.

Also, many steroids provide a temporary boost in strength caused by extra water retention within muscles. By "temporary", I mean this water weight and the strength go away once the drug use is discontinued.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Great, I've been lifting without a spotter for the past 2 years b/c there is nobody else in my gym at work. I'm benching today and now I'm worried. Actually as long as you don't put the clips on the ends and don't try to do to much, you should be able to tip the weight off you. However you never know if people have random blackouts or suddenly tear a muscle or something.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
On a side note...does anyone know the point of the clips? I think these would be a hazard more than anything. Then again, I'm not in the Bruce Willis Unbreakable Club.
Not having clips saved some hassle once. I tore a pectoral muscle, and had slide one way, and then other. I'm never lifting anything heavy without a spotter. In fact, I don't really use barbells any more, just dumbbells.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: TheNinja
Great, I've been lifting without a spotter for the past 2 years b/c there is nobody else in my gym at work. I'm benching today and now I'm worried. Actually as long as you don't put the clips on the ends and don't try to do to much, you should be able to tip the weight off you. However you never know if people have random blackouts or suddenly tear a muscle or something.

People can have random blackouts or muscle tears driving to work any day of the weak. Freak accidental deaths happen, its not worth worrying about them.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: foghorn67
On a side note...does anyone know the point of the clips? I think these would be a hazard more than anything. Then again, I'm not in the Bruce Willis Unbreakable Club.
Not having clips saved some hassle once. I tore a pectoral muscle, and had slide one way, and then other. I'm never lifting anything heavy without a spotter. In fact, I don't really use barbells any more, just dumbbells.

Their purpose is to keep the weights from sliding off if you don't stay parallel on the lift.