Texas sentenced hispanic 16 year old to 20 yrs in prison for drunk driving killings

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
http://www.tdcaa.com/node/1543

Things to note:

In this case 1 person was killed, and 1 person was seriously injured, where as the 'affluenza kid' killed 4 people and seriously injured 2.

The other relevant portion of the story: "Arrellano, who used a Spanish-speaking interpreter, cried as Ms. Mondragon's niece spoke to the defendant on behalf of the family during victim allocution."

So if this guy was a lily white rich kid who suffered from 'affluenza', would the judgement have been different? I'm going to go ahead and say YES.

Last edited:

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
Another race baiting retard.

"So if this guy was a lily *any race* rich kid who suffered from 'affluenza', would the judgement have been different? I'm going to go ahead and say YES."

There fixed that for you dumbass.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

"So if this guy was a lily *any race* rich kid who suffered from 'affluenza', would the judgement have been different? I'm going to go ahead and say YES."

The only retards are the people who think race doesn't matter in the judicial system, you shit-for-brains moron

JH9eKKs.gif

I bet you think rich black folks don't get stopped for 'driving while black' either.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

Things to note:

In this case 1 person was killed, and 1 person was seriously injured, where as the 'affluenza kid' killed 4 people and seriously injured 2.

The other relevant portion of the story: "Arrellano, who used a Spanish-speaking interpreter, cried as Ms. Mondragon's niece spoke to the defendant on behalf of the family during victim allocution."

So if this guy was a lily white rich kid who suffered from 'affluenza', would the judgement have been different? I'm going to go ahead and say YES.

Don't forget that the "affluenza" kid had previous run ins with the law as well. But yes, I get your point. This is being investigated by Attorney General Gregg Abbott by the way and they are looking to reverse this Judges decision and give Mr. Affluenza an appropriate sentence with jail/prison time.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Don't forget that the "affluenza" kid had previous run ins with the law as well. But yes, I get your point. This is being investigated by Attorney General Gregg Abbott by the way and they are looking to reverse this Judges decision and give Mr. Affluenza an appropriate sentence with jail/prison time.

I don't think it's realistic that it's going to be reversed though:

Attorney General’s Office Looking Into Ethan Couch Case
December 13, 2013 4:50 PM

TARRANT COUNTY (CBS 11 NEWS) - The state’s top lawyer, Attorney General Greg Abbott, has joined the growing chorus of voices expressing outrage over the sentence handed down to 16-year-old Ethan Couch.

The wealthy teen received 10 years probation for killing four people while driving drunk.

“Any time anyone is harmed in an accident, of course, there is tremendous sympathy for the victims and their family members and sorrow for the tragedy that happened. But then, to see the result in something like this is just outrageous,” said Abbott.

The Attorney General said his office is looking into the case to see whether the decision can be appealed.

“The fact that someone who injured others and killed others and escaped with such a light penalty is not what you typically see in Texas,” he said. “We want to visit with various different parties to see if there is an angle for the attorney general’s office to play a role.”

The Tarrant County District Attorney’s office said neither Abbott nor his office has reached out to them, but that it is exploring its options in this case, as well.

A spokesperson for the DA told CBS 11 News, though, it doesn’t look promising. “We’re not aware of any avenue for appeal,” said Melody McDonald.

It would be surprising if any grounds to either overturn the sentence or prosecute Couch on any additional charges were found, according to former U.S. attorney Richard Roper.

Roper said, now that the judge has ruled, the state of Texas will likely have to live with her ruling. The widespread outrage, though, could change the outcome of future cases. McDonald said the DA’s office could be interested in talking to lawmakers.

“We look forward to working with the next legislature to tighten up the loopholes in the juvenile law.”

McDonald did not elaborate on which loopholes, but said there were several areas of the law they are looking at.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So what is the over/under on him being an illegal immigrant?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

exactly!

while i do think that the idiot that hit those 4 kids should be in jail and the judge kicked off the bench this is nothing more then a race baiting thread.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Things to note:

One stupid judge lets off a rich white kid because he's stupid.

One hispanic person gets actual justice done.

Only rational conclusion: Jim Crow never left.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Another thing to note, one tried as an adult and the other as a juvenile. I think if a loss of life occurs the person should be tried as an adult.

And subject Richie Rich to the same justice system as those minorities, unheard of!!

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
So did anyone in P&N actually defend the affluenza kid and say the judgement was right? I didn't completely read the thread but it seems pretty unlikely that they would have. I'd assume that everyone (or damn near everyone) in P&N would agree that the ruling on this kid was right and he deserves a prolonged jail sentence and that the affluenza kid's ruling was utter bullshit and he should get a similar sentence.

Really this thread seems like it's probably preaching to the choir but making it about race. Would this hispanic kid get a slap on the wrist judgment if he were rich and had the same judge as affluenza boy? It's impossible to say until that situation comes up.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Race baiting or not. If comparing this to the wrist slap that the white kid got doesn't chap your khaki's, then you're a fool.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It may be a race bait thread. I don't know. It didn't cause me to get all upset over race. I think the take away here is that there are major shortcomings in our justice system. I think the appearance and demeanor of a suspect has more impact on the jury than race. Do they appear like a good person? Could the jurors imagine being friends with the suspect? Lots of human emotion clouds sound judgment I believe.
For instance, I'd have to admit that if I was on a jury and the suspect was a cute young girl on trial for murder, I might have a harder time locking her up and tossing the key than I would if the girl was ugly and appeared rough around the edges. Just being honest. Race wouldn't actually matter but my personal feelings about the person would have an impact.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So what is the over/under on him being an illegal immigrant?

Which matters how, exactly? Equality under the law falls the same on all persons under US jurisdiction. Immigration status matters not at all in criminal prosecution, or at least it shouldn't.

If the law is to be fair, it has to be that way. If we want Americans abroad to enjoy the same person freedoms as the citizens of the places they might be, we have to lead in that direction. We have, for a very long time.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
It may be a race bait thread. I don't know. It didn't cause me to get all upset over race. I think the take away here is that there are major shortcomings in our justice system. I think the appearance and demeanor of a suspect has more impact on the jury than race. Do they appear like a good person? Could the jurors imagine being friends with the suspect? Lots of human emotion clouds sound judgment I believe.
For instance, I'd have to admit that if I was on a jury and the suspect was a cute young girl on trial for murder, I might have a harder time locking her up and tossing the key than I would if the girl was ugly and appeared rough around the edges. Just being honest. Race wouldn't actually matter but my personal feelings about the person would have an impact.

Just image the cute young girl is a 300 pound muscular black man

http://www.theonion.com/video/judge-rules-white-girl-will-be-tried-as-black-adul,18896/

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's Texas, and things are different in Texas, I guess. Never been there.

It just seems to me that it's a place where Judges can get ridiculously harsh when they get a bug up their ass. Other places are like that, too.

We really don't know the particulars, but this does not appear to be a crime of malice. There was no intent. Even if he's out on parole in 10 years, as the article claims, that's still a ridiculously steep sentence for being a stupid & unlucky 16 year old kid.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
This thread only shows how wildly inconsistent the legal system can be, and likely how much of an influence high powered legal advice (read: expensive lawyers) can be. OP is just projecting his own racism onto others.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

exactly!

while i do think that the idiot that hit those 4 kids should be in jail and the judge kicked off the bench this is nothing more then a race baiting thread.

I pointed out in the other thread that the fault lied with the judge for letting the rich kid off. The judge should be thrown off the bench.

And yes, the OP is a flaming troll.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
It's Texas, and things are different in Texas, I guess. Never been there.

It just seems to me that it's a place where Judges can get ridiculously harsh when they get a bug up their ass. Other places are like that, too.

We really don't know the particulars, but this does not appear to be a crime of malice. There was no intent. Even if he's out on parole in 10 years, as the article claims, that's still a ridiculously steep sentence for being a stupid & unlucky 16 year old kid.

W.T.F? Stupid & unlucky? Being intoxicated and running a red light and killing a pregnant woman and injuring a child is stupid and unlucky?

A family's life is over, him losing 20 years is a drop in the bucket. Affluenza kid should have the same sentence or more.