Texas schools - Let's call slavery "involuntary relocation"

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
So is Texas trying to make itself look like the asshole of the US? With it's recent laws passed it looks
to be the front runner of that title.

Now the K-2 school districts want to eliminate the word slavery because it may make students “feel discomfort.”
This seems to be aimed at second graders from the article.

"Part of the proposed draft standards obtained by The Texas Tribune say students should “compare journeys to America, including voluntary Irish immigration and involuntary relocation of African people during colonial times.” "
Seriously Texas? Are you out of your effing minds???

Not the first time Texas has pulled this shit.
In 2015, Texas attracted attention when it was discovered a social studies textbook approved for use in the state called African slaves who were brought to the United States, “workers

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You know, I'm surprised that conservatives haven't had the idea of 'educating' children about uncomfortable topics before the kids have the capacity to understand the material. Kind of like how advertisers like to put in as few seconds as possible of rapidly spoken 'fine print'. Uh oh, there's another 'idea'...

Teacher: MartinLutherKingJrwasacivilrightscampaigner!
Student: Gesund...heit?

Later, student sneezes
Teacher: Grade A for that guy on civil rights!

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
While it’s stupid to avoid saying the word, why are you teaching slavery to 4-7 year olds o_O

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
While it’s stupid to avoid saying the word, why are you teaching slavery to 4-7 year olds o_O
Not sure what is the proper age for kids to learn about slavery. That's the job of educators.

Republicans continue on their march to whitewash history. I've been saying it since the bullshit CRT laws started.

I don't know why it isn't obvious to everyone. Racist theocrats won't be happy until all POC are whitewashed out of the country

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It was rejected immediately.

Stop making drama. We got real problems that aint being dealt with, like voter suppression and murdering border crossers.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Stop making drama. We got real problems that aint being dealt with, like voter suppression and murdering border crossers.

I’m sure “ stop making drama “ was uttered when all the CRT laws were proposed yet they happened.

Why would that have been proposed in the first place?Unless we pay attention conservatives will keep up their insidious bullshit.

I know we have more important problems but this shit cannot slip by

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Who came up with this nonsense? Because the individuals who did knew damn well that Chattel Slavery was in no way just forced relocation. It involved murder, kidnapping, torture, rape and vicious beatings.

And that was just the beginning.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So don't teach American history to kids?
I mean, so many schools already white-washed our history anyway, and so many kids just plain don't pay attention and public schools keep graduating them regardless. The old sci-fi authors were right: Government overreach and censorship will not be what sinks us. Its gonna be apathy and a complete lack of interest in learning anything you don't want to know. People are doing it to themselves, not the officials in charge.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I mean, so many schools already white-washed our history anyway, and so many kids just plain don't pay attention and public schools keep graduating them regardless. The old sci-fi authors were right: Government overreach and censorship will not be what sinks us. Its gonna be apathy and a complete lack of interest in learning anything you don't want to know. People are doing it to themselves, not the officials in charge.

Ah .. you can blame one person for acting like an idiot but if 1000 walk in lock step to the same tune, its a study of herd behavior not a psychological profile of the individual.
Big money in politics got you into this. Pure bred capitalism has a life cycle and mind of its own and people here is just bystanders, extras, getting plowed down as the bus rolls over them. A runaway train.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Not sure what is the proper age for kids to learn about slavery. That's the job of educators.

Republicans continue on their march to whitewash history. I've been saying it since the bullshit CRT laws started.

I don't know why it isn't obvious to everyone. Racist theocrats won't be happy until all POC are whitewashed out of the country
I learned about slavery when I was in the 3rd or 4th grade.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
This is the new Texas law about what is to be taught in schools. Link.

A teacher may not teach
1656734210575.png1656734210575.png

So they are not allowed to teach that the founding fathers had slaves and they directly addressed slavery in the constitution. They are supposed to teach that slavery was just a big "oopsie" in our history.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Texas was founded specifically to expand slavery. If modern Texans want to insist that Texas is deviant and abhorrent to American values, well, okay.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Stop making drama. We got real problems that aint being dealt with, like voter suppression and murdering ILLEGAL border crossers.

Legal voters being disenfranchised is indeed a problem...the other, not so much.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Texas was founded specifically to expand slavery. If modern Texans want to insist that Texas is deviant and abhorrent to American values, well, okay.

Very few people here are aware of this, especially not the transplants with "Come Take It" decals on their trucks. Ultimately it wasn't about the cannon...