Texas school district suspends transgender teacher

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2011
Due to female privilege, it is acceptable for women to wear men's clothes but not vice versa.

Probably for a good reason, actually. Which one will scare the children?

Kate-Heathrow-Smythe-Blazer-4-shot-1024x457.jpg

Klug-Facebook.jpg

Let you in on a little secret. Kids don't give a shit either way until they are told by someone they should.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
So is yours.

As discussed in a previous thread, Spartans lived a gay lifestyle in the military. Since most Spartans served in the military, where did baby Spartans come from?

So... Your argument here boils down to "some men choose to live a gay lifestyle, therefore all men who are gay are so by choice". Faulty logic, yo.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's useless to try to educate bigots. Citing the statements of authoritative bodies is lost on these know-nothings. They lack all ability to understand nuance. To them, it is impossible that a completely sane person born with a penis can think and feel and self-identify as a woman.

But let's try:

Imagine a completely normal woman who awoke one morning to find that her female body had been replaced with a male body. Yet in every other way this person continued to experience the world as a woman. If this could actually happen, would you call this person "insane" for continuing to insist "I'm a woman"?

Or is it possible that a totally sane person can look at their body and their feelings and say, "I can see that I have a penis, a square jaw, a muscular physique, and lots of facial hair that needs to be shaved every day. I can see that in every physically-detectable way I have a man's body. But my body doesn't define my gender. In every psychological way that a person knows whether they're a man or a woman, I know that I'm a woman."

Well, this is exactly the state that transgender people find themselves in: their perception of their own gender is exactly the opposite of their biological gender. And professional bodies who assess mental illness do not list being a transgender person as a mental illness.

But of course, the right-wing know-nothings have an opinion. And because they just aren't capable of "getting" what a transgender really is, they make the gross oversimplification that it's just "cross-dressing" and insist it's a mental illness.

If all of the right-wing bigots were replaced with transgender, the world would be a lot better place.

I'm all for live and let live, but you are ridiculous. Are you really going to use Freaky Friday or some other magical body swap fiction as the basis for your reasoning?

There's a disconnect between reality and what some of you want to claim is the truth. Believing you're two or more different people is a mental illness, but by your rationale it shouldn't be, it's merely what someone knows they are. Changes to the DSM surrounding gender dysphoria was a political move, nothing more, nothing less. If people with multiple personality disorder had a sufficiently large political bloc, you'd see that removed as a mental illness and given protected status as well.

Beyond that, everything you're talking about is societal and based on conformity to gender roles. If an XY human likes dresses and makeup instead of football and beer, that's just a man who likes those other things, not a woman. I don't particularly like football either, does that make me partially female? Should I start using the ladies room?

I agree with the idea that you are what you, no matter how you were born, and should be accepted as is. Whether that's a man who likes women, a man who likes men, or a man who likes wearing heels and a skirt. Transgender defies that, and insists that you actually CAN be born incorrectly, and should be fixed by modern medicine. I find that to be damaging and insulting to people that have to put up with your bigotry in the name of trying to make yourself look compassionate.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Beyond that, everything you're talking about is societal and based on conformity to gender roles. If an XY human likes dresses and makeup instead of football and beer, that's just a man who likes those other things, not a woman. I don't particularly like football either, does that make me partially female? Should I start using the ladies room?

Should Miley Cyrus be considered a man? I mean she doesn't look very feminine to me. And she even says she feels like a man:
Miley Cyrus may be engaged (at last check) to actor Liam Hemsworth, but the 20-year-old says “I feel like a straight dude.”

“You don’t even know what I’m rocking under this skirt," the singer joked to "Entertainment Tonight" when asked if she feels she has matured into a woman. "I feel like a straight man. I’m not even a dude, I’m a man.”

Seems like if the concept of gender as distinct from sex is to have any mean Miley should start using the boys bathroom :twisted:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I agree with the idea that you are what you, no matter how you were born, and should be accepted as is. Whether that's a man who likes women, a man who likes men, or a man who likes wearing heels and a skirt. Transgender defies that, and insists that you actually CAN be born incorrectly, and should be fixed by modern medicine. I find that to be damaging and insulting to people that have to put up with your bigotry in the name of trying to make yourself look compassionate.

So you believe homosexuals/bisexuals should be "fixed" by modern medicine? Or can you be born "correctly" and be gay, but only "incorrectly" if you have gender identity issues?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So you believe homosexuals/bisexuals should be "fixed" by modern medicine? Or can you be born "correctly" and be gay, but only "incorrectly" if you have gender identity issues?

Reading comprehension. You doesn't has it.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
You are somewhat right and I somewhat agree with you.

However, race is not a choice, sexual preference is.

Why should society accommodate a perverted lifestyle?

We accommodate your perverted lifestyle.

I'm all for live and let live, but you are ridiculous. Are you really going to use Freaky Friday or some other magical body swap fiction as the basis for your reasoning?

There's a disconnect between reality and what some of you want to claim is the truth. Believing you're two or more different people is a mental illness, but by your rationale it shouldn't be, it's merely what someone knows they are. Changes to the DSM surrounding gender dysphoria was a political move, nothing more, nothing less. If people with multiple personality disorder had a sufficiently large political bloc, you'd see that removed as a mental illness and given protected status as well.

AFAIK, most transgender people do not suffer from multiple personality disorder.

Last edited:

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Due to female privilege, it is acceptable for women to wear men's clothes but not vice versa.

Probably for a good reason, actually. Which one will scare the children?

Kate-Heathrow-Smythe-Blazer-4-shot-1024x457.jpg

Klug-Facebook.jpg

I've seen physically gendered women that make Klug Miss America. Nice try, though

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

Neutral party stepping in
You are incorrect in your interpretation of his post.

Nov 25, 2013
In reference to the post you quoted, transgender is just a form of mental illness, nothing more, nothing less.

When people say "they were born into the wrong body", then need help. Accommodation is not the answer.

People who think they are an animal, are we supposed to take the seriously? Someone claims they are a chicken, sticks feathers up their ass and walks around clucking would probably be committed to the funny farm. That type of person would be considered insane.

Why should we take someone who claims they were born the wrong sex more serious than someone who says they were supposed to be a dog or chicken?

The person claiming to be a dog makes more sense than you....

And why *do* you have that feather stuck up your ass?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
As usual, you're confused.

I don't know the details of the current case, but a true transgender person isn't a "cross dresser." It's a person who biologically is one sex but who in all other respects expresses their gender as the opposite sex. So a transgender female (biological male) is in fact a female, and it's entirely appropriate for such a person to wear female clothes.

No. If you're a man, you're a man. If you want to act like a girl, you're a man who wants to act like a girl.

"So a transgender female (biological male) is in fact a female, and it's entirely appropriate for such a person to wear female clothes."

So a dog who expresses himself as a LION is in fact a lion!

Biologically, a male, is a male. /thread.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I'd sooner discuss a subject like this with my 3 year old (and expect much more of substance out of it) than the OP.

Some of you must get off on futility.

Is it because your 3 year old will believe what you tell her?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Because a person who self-identifies as transgendered does not necessarily lack the skills to contribute to society. If Laura can teach 5th graders all about math, science, and history just as well as any other Tom, Dick, or Harry (or Sally, or Anne), why does it matter? As long as they're fulfilling their role without causing harm, leave it be.

Sorry, but I don't want an adult confused about their sexuality teaching my kids anything. I assume they are unstable. Sue me.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Sorry, I do not subscribe to your simplistic black/white, either/or view of the world.

It's not really black and white.

What is black and white is that your go to response for things you can't argue is

MEH ITS ALL BLACK AND WHITE DO NOT SUBSCRIBE

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Just a definition check for people.

"Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.
"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.

Transgender\cross dresser are those who reject one or more characteristics assigned to the gender they would normally fall under.

Transgender people should not be confused with hermaphrodites.