Texas Republicans beginning the process of book banning. Public library closed for "review"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Fahrenheit 451 was/is one of my favorite books. One of my all-time favorites is Slaughterhouse 5, this is actually where the end of my username came from. I read both of these books in high school, but I seriously question if high school students in GOP areas would be able to do so if they had their way.
Conservatives love 451 because it's easy to spin as liberal censorship.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Damn those libs and their cancel culture!

Speaking of dumb as shit hypocrites and racists, hey look. I'm guessing Horseface McSnatch is about to rant about communist censorship in 3....2...1..

Twitter permanently suspends MTG's account

Close all the accounts. She's proud to be a traitor apparently; why this dumb bitch hasn't been expelled from Congress yet is a monumental travesty.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Florida/Iowa GOP is up to this shit as well

More Iowa shenanigans—reporters are no longer allowed within earshot of lawmakers during debate in the state Senate.

• Wow
Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
More Iowa shenanigans—reporters are no longer allowed within earshot of lawmakers during debate in the state Senate.

Because of the freedom flu? Lol...

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Because of the freedom flu? Lol...

No, because the “proliferation of non-traditional media” and First Amendment concerns make it difficult for the Senate to define “media access.”

In other words, if we let the “liberal/ establishment” media in, we have to let in every MAGA nutjob…the radio kooks, podcasters and YouTube personalities…and well we can’t have that, can we?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No, because the “proliferation of non-traditional media” and First Amendment concerns make it difficult for the Senate to define “media access.”

In other words, if we let the “liberal/ establishment” media in, we have to let in every MAGA nutjob…the radio kooks, podcasters and YouTube personalities…and well we can’t have that, can we?

Yes, I posted before I read the article, jokes on me. I like how liberal media is both non traditional and mainstream at the same time.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I didn't see "banning" anywhere in the article. I did see creating a new "young adults" section for questionable material. Huckleberry Finn has been banned for years, do we want that back on the shelves?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I didn't see "banning" anywhere in the article. I did see creating a new "young adults" section for questionable material. Huckleberry Finn has been banned for years, do we want that back on the shelves?
That's how the process begins. Republicans have already gotten writings by MLK and books by Toni Morrison

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Another entry for the Texas Republican book banning thread.
Records requests to nearly 100 school districts in the Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin regions — a small sampling of the state’s 1,250 public school systems — revealed 75 formal requests by parents or community members to ban books from libraries during the first four months of this school year. In comparison, only one library book challenge was filed at those districts during the same time period a year earlier, records show. A handful of the districts reported more challenges this year than in the past two decades combined.

All but a few of the challenges this school year targeted books dealing with racism or sexuality, the majority of them featuring LGBTQ characters and explicit descriptions of sex. Many of the books under fire are newer titles, purchased by school librarians in recent years as part of a nationwide movement to diversify the content available to public school children.
Book banning in Texas schools: Titles are pulled off library shelves in record numbers (msn.com)

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Reactions: dainthomas
Nov 17, 2019
Ya' just can't make this stuff up:

LGBTQ book ban proponent faces felony child molestation charge in Missouri

www.nbcnews.com.ico
NBC News|6 hours ago
The man tried to have the award-winning graphic memoir "Fun Home," among other LGBTQ titles, removed from school libraries in Kansas City...

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Ya' just can't make this stuff up:

LGBTQ book ban proponent faces felony child molestation charge in Missouri

www.nbcnews.com.ico
NBC News|6 hours ago
The man tried to have the award-winning graphic memoir "Fun Home," among other LGBTQ titles, removed from school libraries in Kansas City...
This has always been the case, the people fitting the hardest against "sexual deviants" are always in on the actions and hate themselves for it. Hopefully this guy gets the book thrown at him.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The Cleansing has accelerated in earnest. I can see it now: All reading materials in publicly owned facilities must be filtered through censors approved and selected by Republican controlled state governments of whom must be clergy or elders from fundamentalist churches where at least 75% of their membership are white supremacists, Nazis, KKK and far right wing militias.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I don't trust Republicans to not ban books or trample over free speech rights in general (just look at the horrible, blatantly unconstitutional anti-BDS laws). With that being said, let's try a thought experiment:

Someone like Slow or BrandonBull comes in and makes a thread about a library in a liberal state "banning" older books that are deemed guilty of casual racism. You roll your eyes. "As usual, if I look into this it's just going to be more conservative hyperbole and hysteria." You click on the link and, as expected, and in bold right at the top of the article no less, find this:

At that point do you slap on the laughing reaction, disparage the OP for being such an easily misled fool, and beat him over the head that moving those books into a slightly different section is obviously not the same as thing banning them? Be honest now.

This is, in my opinion, the worst thing about this forum. There's so much forgiveness for the people on your own team, and so little for anyone who isn't. And even if neither this headline nor the fictional one is exactly true, there's still room for concern in either case. I think the issue is that, when the inaccurate reporting is on your side you think about that concern and forgive it. When it's against your side, it isn't something you consider at all.

I think you made a good point about 'us vs them' and sympathies which sometimes is valid here, but I think you've based on your point on a poor example and you're engaging in false equivalence.

Conservatives will cry 'cancel culture' when Dr Seuss takes his own book off the market, and yet they spend their time engaging in the exact behaviour they're complaining about.

Here we actually have a Republican politician wanting a library closed for *two days* to search for 'objectionable content'. How long has the library been open for, what do you think the librarians have been doing the entire time they've been employed there? Why exactly is political involvement required for librarians to literally do their normal job (categorising books correctly)? How many books can a handful of librarians review in two days?

Maybe the OP is wrong and this is a case of hilariously bad optics for the GOP apropos of no political objective whatsoever, however as the GOP are acting like a bunch of fascists on many fronts, and conservative politicians suddenly taking an interest in books "for the sake of the children" very definitely has some fascist precedence! If it looks like a dog and barks like a dog, I'll require some convincing to think that it's anything other than a dog.

Reactions: Zorba

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Everything is dumber in Texas. Plus remember, that state joined the US because Mexico wouldn't let them own slaves.