Texas Republican Party declares President Biden was "not legitimately elected"

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I don't think Justice Thomas will touch that one because of the obvious and expected blowback.

Soon to be Justice Jackson never hinted she had a problem with it.

But a few of her detractors among Blacks did.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I wonder how Clarence Thomas and Ketanji Brown Jackson would feel about outlawing interracial marriage.

Someone here quoted (of which I've probably misquoted) "Laws are for thee and not for me" seems to be the attitude that the conservative aristocrat class have managed to normalize. It seems to have also infected the Repub party in general where cheating and rigging elections is OK for them, especially the part where they now believe that any election they lose was guaranteed rigged against them, giving them the lame excuse to "justify" their rigging things the other way around.

Reactions: hal2kilo

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
I'm in Australia, so I don't have a good understanding of the American political 'possibilities'.

In a hypothetical Trump win in 2024, is it possible that a future Trump administration to pursue enablers of the 'stolen election' and charge them with treason?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'm in Australia, so I don't have a good understanding of the American political 'possibilities'.

In a hypothetical Trump win in 2024, is it possible that a future Trump administration to pursue enablers of the 'stolen election' and charge them with treason?

If he is able to fully corrupt the DOJ and has the backing of the house and senate. It’s highly unlikely but if it did happen you’d have rioting all over the country and America would be a banana republic at that point.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If he is able to fully corrupt the DOJ and has the backing of the house and senate. It’s highly unlikely but if it did happen you’d have rioting all over the country and America would be a banana republic at that point.

The big stumbling block would surely be the complete-and-utter absence of any evidence of such a 'steal'?

He does seem to like trying to use the DoJ to persue his personal vendettas, but corrupting the system to the point where it actually manufactures evidence for such a case would surely imply a degree of rot within the US state at all levels that is hard to imagine?

I could imagine him mouthing off about such a thing, but to see it through would need far more attention to detail than he's capable of.

Not clear how he could win in 2024 anyway. I'm more interested in what the insane Court posse are going to do next. Is Affirmative Action in their cross-hairs?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I wonder how Clarence Thomas and Ketanji Brown Jackson would feel about outlawing interracial marriage.

Well everyone better hope that they don't start having difficulties in their relationship...

Can't see them going after that one, because it would surely affect far too many people, including a good number of conservatives. Gay marriage must be a prime target, though, along with gutting all environmental and worker protections.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Someone here quoted (of which I've probably misquoted) "Laws are for thee and not for me" seems to be the attitude that the conservative aristocrat class have managed to normalize. It seems to have also infected the Repub party in general where cheating and rigging elections is OK for them, especially the part where they now believe that any election they lose was guaranteed rigged against them, giving them the lame excuse to "justify" their rigging things the other way around.
It's the attitude of every conservative everywhere. The primary theme of every conservative policy, law, or moral stance is that it doesn't affect them, or they believe it won't affect them. They attempt to fuck over everyone and everything around them to make themselves feel less impotent in comparison.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It's the attitude of every conservative everywhere. The primary theme of every conservative policy, law, or moral stance is that it doesn't affect them, or they believe it won't affect them. They attempt to fuck over everyone and everything around them to make themselves feel less impotent in comparison.
It's their same stance when it comes to crime. They are cool with the Jan 6 attempted coup yet get their panties in a knot over smash and grabs. As long as the "right people" are the perps they are on board with crime.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The big stumbling block would surely be the complete-and-utter absence of any evidence of such a 'steal'?

What kind of false optimism leads you to believe this matters one bit to the GOP?

:confused:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
What kind of false optimism leads you to believe this matters one bit to the GOP?

:confused:

But it's not the GOP that would be doing the investigating or making the legal judgements. I _am_ sufficiently optimistic to believe it would matter to the employees of the DoJ. That's my point - if the rot were to go so far as to corrupt the US state apparatus right down to the level of "frontline" DoJ investigators, then the US really would be doomed.

Politically and rhetorically, maybe the Republicans would make use of the mere fact of such an investigation being instigated, and would distort and lie about any findings. But it all assumes Trump could win in '24 anyway, and I don't believe he will. I think he's a busted-flush at this point. Another Republican reprobate might take his place, though.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
But it's not the GOP that would be doing the investigating or making the legal judgements. I _am_ sufficiently optimistic to believe it would matter to the employees of the DoJ. That's my point - if the rot were to go so far as to corrupt the US state apparatus right down to the level of "frontline" DoJ investigators, then the US really would be doomed.

Politically and rhetorically, maybe the Republicans would make use of the mere fact of such an investigation being instigated, and would distort and lie about any findings. But it all assumes Trump could win in '24 anyway, and I don't believe he will. I think he's a busted-flush at this point. Another Republican reprobate might take his place, though.

Like I said.... false optimism. (fwiw I hope you're correct!)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Like I said.... false optimism. (fwiw I hope you're correct!)

The trouble is that the pattern is of each successive Republican candidate being more implausibly awful (and more incoherent as a public speaker) than the preceding one. To the point where people end up saying things like "I miss Dubya, at least he..." or "Reagan was an intellectual giant in comparison to...".

What would it take for people to start claiming to miss Trump? Probably need to imagine that, and then start worrying.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Nearly half of America is already there. :(

Well, point taken, but I meant Democrats saying that (as they've occasionally done about Dubya once Trump came along). The Republicans keep finding new bottoms to the barrel. It's particularly odd how there seems to be a sort of evolutionary-pressure on them to become progressively worse at English speech.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Well, point taken, but I meant Democrats saying that (as they've occasionally done about Dubya once Trump came along). The Republicans keep finding new bottoms to the barrel. It's particularly odd how there seems to be a sort of evolutionary-pressure on them to become progressively worse at English speech.
There is no bottom. It just gets darker the deeper you go.

Reactions: Captante

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

That will be #1 on the list. Exposing a narcissist is dangerous.

Reactions: RnR_au and Captante

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It seems the basic strategy and platform for the Repubs from hereon in is to "get rid of their enemies" by seizing control of the gov't at all levels through any nefarious means as their imaginations can conjure, a truly fascist methodology in its purest form.

No more "small gov't" bullshit, no more "personal responsibility" hype, no more "traditional family values" propaganda to raise themselves over their enemies with, no more "separation of church and state", or "free and fair elections".

The "Party of Lincoln" (as he turns in his grave) has now become a two-legged monstrosity with one leg made of self-inflicted highly charged emotional distress and the other made of baseless lies and conspiracy theories, both relying on each other to rid themselves of the morals and ethics that limit their abilities to "do what has to be done to save the nation" (for themselves).

Their spokespersons have become the racists, white supremacists, Nazis, self-described "patriotic militias" and religious fanatics, all of whom are exploiting each other for the advancement of their own agendas. And then there's their sheeple of whom out of loyalty to party over country are going along for the ride, all of whom are managed by the few very wealthy of the nation who enormously profit from the distractions they've engineered over their followers.

Vote them into obscurity or suffer the consequences. The choice is really that simple.