Texas Republican Party declares President Biden was "not legitimately elected"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
That is interesting. Maybe it's time that the religiously modest start to take more interest in what the fanatics are doing to religion generally. The whole point of Christianity, in my opinion, is to create the inner joy of life that comes with little ego, but all that evil requires to win is for good people to do nothing, they say. Where is someone like Joseph Nye Welch to ask the religious right if it has no decency.
Or.. like most religions, the point was to create a uniform system of morality and law that transcended governments and nation states (which were ambiguous and shifted often) under the threat of everlasting and universal punishment, and that one just cracked the code on making it proliferate easily, like a well evolved virus. I mean there's a reason it's spawned the most variants out of all other religions.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That’s my whole point! Those laws aren’t protecting consumers! They are doing the opposite! When you have a government that puts more value on profits over the people not only do you have a dysfunctional government and a failing democracy, you get out of control capitalism.

In the days of the industrial Revolution we saw what unchecked capitalism did; slave like wages including being paid with company money that can only be used at the company store, horrid working conditions, child labor, wage theft, etc.

What changed that was the hand of government (yes some change may have initially come from uprisings but sweeping change came from the government). Government created minimum standards to protect the workers and the consumers and they reigned in the largest of corporations and forced them to split.

Now what does government do? From my vantage point it looks like it’s helping/enabling the businesses, not the people.

This imbalance does not lead to a good place.
Psychopaths will eventually find a way to corrupt anything doing good because it can be used to hide behind with the hidden motive to fatten one's self rather than do good for others. That water is currently being carried by the Republican party and particularly in the past by corrupt labor unions.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Are you saying capitalism isn't working well in America? Cuz....

It is absolutely !@#$ing dead.

the people trying to make all the money are doing a great job of it.

King Louis was very rich... until he wasn't. For some reason.... now what was that again?
Yeah... they can enjoy their bountiful table. For when the day comes, I know I'll also enjoy their table.
Can't possibly put my finger on whatever happened to them betwixt now and then.... I'd ask Antoinette, but she cannot find her head.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Some of the things on the table:

Referendum to secede from the United States
Repeal of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the most effective civil rights law ever enacted
Declaration that Joe Biden was not legitimately elected
Declaration of homosexuality as “abnormal lifestyle choice”
Equal protection rights for the “preborn”
Teaching of Texan superiority in schools
Ban on teaching sexual choice or sexual identity

Seems like a plan for theonomic totalitarianism. They’ve started openly attacking Log Cabin Republicans. Which honestly, the Log Cabins should have seen coming years ago.

Reactions: Lezunto

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The modern GOP looks at 1935 Germany and thinks that’s a good look.

And.... one day their Jim Jones "drink the kool-aid" moment will come.
One day.... Trump and his cult will realize that it is impossible to have "paradise on earth" as they imagined and thus Trump will offer his people paradise elsewhere, not of this earth. All you have to do is drink the kool-aid kiddies.

Seriously, this is no joke.
WHAT will an aging Donald Trump do or command of his followers to do when Donald Trump is knocking on deaths door? Trump will do what every insane cult leader has done in the past, insist his followers FOLLOW HIM into that death. That death Trump will insist leads to their PARADISE. The paradise that eluded them on earth.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

King Louis was very rich... until he wasn't. For some reason.... now what was that again?
Yeah... they can enjoy their bountiful table. For when the day comes, I know I'll also enjoy their table.
Can't possibly put my finger on whatever happened to them betwixt now and then.... I'd ask Antoinette, but she cannot find her head.
The John Oliver show is brilliant and he is just a brilliant host. I would like him as fucking president

Reactions: Jaskalas

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I see a new trend taking place amongst people of both parties, not just republicans.
That is, to connect THE BIG LIE with the failures / challenges of the Biden Administration. It appears that if people are not happy with Joe Biden and not happy with what is happening under the Joe Biden administration, then.... why not simply agree with those that promote THE BIG LIE.

Yes and true. I find many democrats not at all concerned with insurrections or investigatory committees. They really could care less. They already know Trump is and was a bad guy, but they are more concerned about their budget and the skyrocketing prices.
People are mad and they are mad at Joe Biden. And so, people are now more willing to buy into THE BIG LIE not because they actually believe in THE BIG LIE, but rather because they really hate Joe Biden. And I'm talking democrats.

So this is a new twist. To become so upset with an administration and so upset with American life under that administration, that THE BIG LIE becomes acceptable. If it hurts Joe Biden, if it illustrates ones outrage with Joe Biden and an economy spinning out of control, then everything and everything anti-Biden is fair game. To be embraced.

Call it an outlet for demonstrating the frustration over Joe Biden. To demonstrate the outrage with five dollar gas, with out of control food prices, with bare store shelves, and believing it will only getting worse. Lost confidence with Biden, lost confidence that Biden can fix it.
Then.... bring up that THE BIG LIE thingy and people suddenly sign-on with the theory. People suddenly agree only because.... THEY HATE WHAT JOE BIDEN IS DOING TO THEIR WORLD.

After all folks, the man in charge takes all the blame, always takes the blame when things go really really bad. And the people feel the current leadership is hopeless.
THAT is how you get a Joe Biden democrat to become a BIG LIE subscriber. And now, this is exactly what is happening with many democrats. MANY!!!

Reactions: Lezunto

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Well, let me know when it actually falls apart, because consumer spending is up despite us not having any fucking money left, and i'm not seeing any evidence that our government is doing anything but supporting the system.

Reactions: hal2kilo

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Maryland, New Hampshire, and Massetusets gets quite cold, and they still elect Republican governors.

Maryland only elects vary moderate Republican governors. I.E. Hogan supports gay marriage, abortion etc.
Massachusetts is similar, they elected Romney, which gave them the precursor to obamacare.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I'm all for Texit at this point. They can take Elon Galt and their shitty power grid and build the libertarian utopia and hopefully pull enough loser assholes out of the lower 47 to help Make America Great Again.
I'd love to see this vote come up in congress. Please let it happen. Please!

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

The lesson that the Aristocracy learned from the French Revolution is to GTFO as soon as unrest looks eminent, if it calms back down you can always return. You can bet that there will not be a single Musk or Bezos to be found if people start building guillotines again. They will be sipping mai-tais on some tropical island surrounded by a heavily armed private army.

More importantly is that the mobs will never even look for them. You see back then the Aristocracy did not have the tools they needed to control the population and aim their anger where they wanted. Today they have lots of such tools that are very effective. That is what this entire GOP Platform is about. They are taking all the people that are getting desperate and pointing them at other desperate people as an outlet for their anger. If the guillotines are built (and it is looking more and more likely they will be) it won't be for the heads of the leaders or the super wealth that actually caused the problems people are angry about, it will be for the marginalized communities that those leaders and super rich aimed them at.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I've got similar conflict in my house. Wife wants to take kids to Disney World & Universal. I don't want to set foot in that shithole state. Texas is on the list as well. I wouldn't willingly travel to South Dakota either (Noem is a hateful POS pulling similar crap) but had to compromise on that. Wife hasn't seen parents in years and they live there. Her Dad is sounding pretty rough. Where I spend my money seems to be one of the last rights available to me any more.
1655932211550.png

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Anyplace where it normally never gets cold (and that isn't a tropical island paradise) is usually a place where you'll find a dense population of the very stupid simply because it's much easier for them to survive there.

I have a hazy memory of there being some political theories about something vaguely like that. About climate and politics.

Not to do with stupid people surviving, more to do with how it affects social organisation. Things like the need in colder countries for everyone to work together, co-operatively, to bring in the harvest before the bad weather arrives - stuff like that.

It might have been a slightly contentious theory, can't remember much about it and trying to google about the topic just brings up a zillion articles about gendered effects of climate-change, which isn't really the same thing.

At the extreme though, there clearly is a difference in the gender-politics of Saudi Arabia and Sweden.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have a hazy memory of there being some political theories about something vaguely like that. About climate and politics.

Not to do with stupid people surviving, more to do with how it affects social organisation. Things like the need in colder countries for everyone to work together, co-operatively, to bring in the harvest before the bad weather arrives - stuff like that.

It might have been a slightly contentious theory, can't remember much about it and trying to google about the topic just brings up a zillion articles about gendered effects of climate-change, which isn't really the same thing.

At the extreme though, there clearly is a difference in the gender-politics of Saudi Arabia and Sweden.

Oh it's not just stupid people, it's nearly everything you don't want hanging around where you live including all kinds of disease.

Why do you think Florida has the toughest laws related to exotic pets in the country? Critters get loose down there and next thing you know there's a dang population-explosion.

Anyplace where it doesn't get cold enough outside in the winter to kill stuff off, there will simply be a lot more (and larger/feistier!) of said stuff scuttling about looking for its next meal.

Last edited:

FlawleZ

Oct 13, 2016
It's shit like this, the constant lying and conspiracy theories by Republicans why this country can't solve its problems. Don't believe me, take from another Republican...

Rep. Adam Kinzinger 'My Party Has Utterly Failed the American People at Truth.' (insider.com)

Now we have yet another whopper by the second largest Republican organization in the country.

Texas GOP Declares Biden Illegitimate, Demands End to Abortion (newsweek.com)
Have you read Time Magazine's feature on this "conspiracy"?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
On a separate note, isn't this vote technically an act in the direction of treason? I mean aren't they somewhat implying that Biden should be overthrown since he's illegitimate? I thought part of the vote was about resisting him? It at least meets the Webster definition of sedition I would think

"Sedition :
conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch"

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
In other Texas news the headline reads "
Students won't be allowed to wear dresses or skirts after fifth grade in a Texas school district

I did not even bother reading this. SMH
I mean, i totally get their rationale. In hindsight, every day of highschool was exactly like a job interview and i shouldve dressed accordingly.

/s

Hell i probably dressed as well or better in HS than i do for my current job. Jeans and a hoodie is absolutely acceptable attire at my job. People dont start wearing slacks on a daily basis until theyre dir/VP level at my job, unless its just their personal style to dress nice.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I thought Obama was the original POTUS who was deemed by Right Wingers to be illegitimate.

If Hillary had managed to win, she would not have been legitimate. Biden won fair and square. But all of a sudden, Biden's not legitimate.

Cannot wait for the Supreme Court to outlaw interracial marriage. And de-legitimize every mixed child ever born.

I mean, the day is fast approaching when Blacks' Right to Vote will be viewed as illegitimate.

The Jackboots are assembling for their new march.

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
I thought Obama was the original POTUS who was deemed by Right Wingers to be illegitimate.

If Hillary had managed to win, she would not have been legitimate. Biden won fair and square. But all of a sudden, Biden's not legitimate.

Cannot wait for the Supreme Court to outlaw interracial marriage. And de-legitimize every mixed child ever born.

I mean, the day is fast approaching when Blacks' Right to Vote will be viewed as illegitimate.

The Jackboots are assembling for their new march.

I wonder how Clarence Thomas and Ketanji Brown Jackson would feel about outlawing interracial marriage.

Reactions: hal2kilo