Texas Republican Party declares President Biden was "not legitimately elected"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
They want to end the Civil Rights Act?? Republicans are just one step away from publicly declaring, “we want all ni**ers out of this country
I do not want to be the devil's advocate, but I think you are mixing up the 1964 Civil Rights Act with the 1965 one. The 1965 one dealt with voting.... tower in the same document that is presented, they aparrently support the 1964 one which illegalises segregation.

They specifically mention they don't like the 1965 one bcause of the possible reimplementation of pre-required federal approval of the new redistricting map, and they claim they have enough election laws for equality at the ballot box.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo
Dec 10, 2005
Balkanize already.
That's a terrible idea that would throw all the vulnerable people in those states to the wolves, and does not solve the underlying issue. Balkanization is one of those stupid ideas that people come up with when they think states are red/blue monoliths.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Right, if repugnicans knew they could get away with so much, they would have done long ago. But yet stupid independent voters still waffling on deciding between interest rates or gun reform. Well probably the same voters that voted Jill Stein in 2016. Fine don’t like Hillary, why would you take the chance to have an even worse candidate win? Hindsight won’t be 20/20 for these idiots still on the fence.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Just when you think Texas can't get any dumber, a GOP idiot in Texas says "Hold my beer." It's either something in the Texas air or water that makes people effectively brain dead.

Anyplace where it normally never gets cold (and that isn't a tropical island paradise) is usually a place where you'll find a dense population of the very stupid simply because it's much easier for them to survive there.

Just like it allows bugs to get huge and rat/other vermin populations to thrive unchecked.

Aside from a soft-spot for Stevie Ray Vaughn (RIP brother) I'm also boycotting ANYTHING from Texas or really any of the former Confederate states.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Why does it feel like we're in the Star Wars prequels and the GOP are using those as a template for totalitarian takeover of the US?

Reactions: Captante

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Anyplace where it normally never gets cold (and that isn't a tropical island paradise) is usually a place where you'll find a dense population of the very stupid simply because it's much easier for them to survive there.

Just like it allows bugs to get huge and rat/other vermin populations to thrive unchecked.

Aside from a soft-spot for Stevie Ray Vaughn (RIP brother) I'm also boycotting ANYTHING from Texas or really any of the former Confederate states.
Maryland, New Hampshire, and Massetusets gets quite cold, and they still elect Republican governors.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Maryland, New Hampshire, and Massetusets gets quite cold, and they still elect Republican governors.

Charlie Baker (Mass) barely counts as a Republican and NH is classic New England "hard-headed" fiscal-conservative's ... more "traditional" GOP then the fvckwad's in Texas/Florida etc. (you run into this a lot in Maine too)

Maryland I don't know much about in terms of politics.

Reactions: iRONic

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Link to the published piece of propaganda material.

In it they claim they want the removal of the 1965 Civil Rights Act, Income Tax, H1-B visa program.
They also make the claim that the U.S. was built on the ideologies of Christianity, and that the pastors should have the right to free speech. They furthermore ask for the reintroduction of school prayer in all schools, public or private. Other things they ask for are, requiring work study to be merit based rather than race or family income based, require proof that a person is disabled before they can receive disability assistance, legalize abortion and promote giving up to adoption, ending birth-right citizenship, giving the right to pastor to call off a wedding if they believe if any of the parties in the wedding violates the pastor's belief. Oh I forgot about the fact that they do not want to let prisoners be covered under any form of insurance or state sponsored programs, prisoners have to pay out of pocket

Oh... and get this.... they want to end the requirement of annual auto inspections in Texas, claiming that a person only buys a vehicle once when it is sold to them. They also want auto dealers to go out of business by giving the right to Texans to buy a vehicle straight from the factory at the listed price. They will stil require auto inspection for commercial vehicles.

The biggest thing off all on this massive GOP wish list..... they want to allow people to carry more than $10K dollars worth of foreign currency without the need to inform the DHS. If you currently hold something like that much, you need to tell the DHS.

Did the Texas GOP copy paste Trumps Christmas wish list?
BTW - Take Republicans wanting to eliminate the Civil Rights Act and place it in this thread with a special note to the OP

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In the US I would say it has more to do with cultural identification as a source of pride. The humiliation of defeat in the South as a result of the the Civil War, their moral repudiation of virtues of slavery, the branding of their culture as backward and evil, by the rest of the victorious nation, created a need to deny that identification by the amplification of pride in Southern identity. Cultural humiliation creates a need to feel special, to differentiate, and to redirect that flow of contempt and hate back at its source, the north, and these days the rural vs cities more generally.

A culture with regional differences that struggles with the fear of being seen as inferior, will create evil as a means to pay back the “other” it will create to focus the self hatred humiliation creates in the form of revenge.

Americans are hell bent on unloading the self contempt competition for status creates on this or that fraction of the whole. To be put down as inferior will create the need to do that to others as a way back to status and self worth.

The problem is that everyone feels worthless, is suffering inwardly from it while trying to deny that reality by blaming somebody else for that repressed inner pain. We were programmed to feel worthless but nobody otherwise would act out as if it were true, because nobody truly is.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
In the US I would say it has more to do with cultural identification as a source of pride. The humiliation of defeat in the South as a result of the the Civil War, their moral repudiation of virtues of slavery, the branding of their culture as backward and evil, by the rest of the victorious nation, created a need to deny that identification by the amplification of pride in Southern identity. Cultural humiliation creates a need to feel special, to differentiate, and to redirect that flow of contempt and hate back at its source, the north, and these days the rural vs cities more generally.

A culture with regional differences that struggles with the fear of being seen as inferior, will create evil as a means to pay back the “other” it will create to focus the self hatred humiliation creates in the form of revenge.

Americans are hell bent on unloading the self contempt competition for status creates on this or that fraction of the whole. To be put down as inferior will create the need to do that to others as a way back to status and self worth.

The problem is that everyone feels worthless, is suffering inwardly from it while trying to deny that reality by blaming somebody else for that repressed inner pain. We were programmed to feel worthless but nobody otherwise would act out as if it were true, because nobody truly is.

Not shockingly you're seriously over-thinking things but I agree.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
That's a terrible idea that would throw all the vulnerable people in those states to the wolves, and does not solve the underlying issue. Balkanization is one of those stupid ideas that people come up with when they think states are red/blue monoliths.

As as opposed to throwing ALL of us to the wolves?

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Charlie Baker (Mass) barely counts as a Republican and NH is classic New England "hard-headed" fiscal-conservative's ... more "traditional" GOP then the fvckwad's in Texas/Florida etc. (you run into this a lot in Maine too)

Maryland I don't know much about in terms of politics.
Maryland is about 2:1 Democrat to Republican. The metro areas deep blue, the rural areas deep red. It is also one of the worst gerrymandered states as far as US House districts in favor of Democrats.

The current governor however has enjoyed one of the highest approval rankings of any governor in the country, but is often referred to as a RINO because he has not followed his party to most of the extreme positions in the referenced platform. He occasionally has opposed some Democrat positions successfully, other times he's been overridden by the state legislature. But uncharacteristically for many politicians he has worked to compromise on issues as well. I've met him briefly at cancer events (he's a survivor and my family supports local events) and he seems like a decent person in general and didn't give me the slimy feeling other politicians often do.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
They also want auto dealers to go out of business by giving the right to Texans to buy a vehicle straight from the factory at the listed price. They will stil require auto inspection for commercial vehicles.

I wouldn't call this a bad move, even if so much else in the GOP platform is.

Dealerships are, frankly, pretty lousy. They artificially drive up the costs of cars and are often a pain for shoppers. No, I don't want to buy options I don't need just to get the ones I do. No, I don't need the extra rustproof coating. No, I don't want to pay $20,000 above MSRP just because you think you can squeeze some extra profit from that hot new sports car. And who the hell though it was a good idea to make haggling part of buying essential transportation?

Laws around car purchasing should protect consumers, not entrenched business models. I do think we need safeguards when we allow direct sales (service levels, try-before-you-buy options and the like), but it's 2022... you shouldn't be forced into negotiations at a retail shop when you can go online to buy the exact car you want, at the listed price, and have it delivered.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think the biggest push there is to have a pastor refuse to marry someone. Anyone have an estimate on how long it takes to get ordained in texas? Gonna have a ton of liberal officiants in short order.
It looks like you can just get ordained with Universal Life Church and perform one normally, so... it doesn't take long.

Reactions: FirNaTine

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
I wouldn't call this a bad move, even if so much else in the GOP platform is.

Dealerships are, frankly, pretty lousy. They artificially drive up the costs of cars and are often a pain for shoppers. No, I don't want to buy options I don't need just to get the ones I do. No, I don't need the extra rustproof coating. No, I don't want to pay $20,000 above MSRP just because you think you can squeeze some extra profit from that hot new sports car. And who the hell though it was a good idea to make haggling part of buying essential transportation?

Laws around car purchasing should protect consumers, not entrenched business models. I do think we need safeguards when we allow direct sales (service levels, try-before-you-buy options and the like), but it's 2022... you shouldn't be forced into negotiations at a retail shop when you can go online to buy the exact car you want, at the listed price, and have it delivered.

I despise dealing with most dealerships. Part of the reason the last car I bought was a Lexus was because of it being a "less lousy'" experience. Being extremely reliable, and long lasting didn't hurt either.

Many want to play games and angles, slip in nonsense profit markups and have a general sense of they're smarter than you and can get away with it. Or play math games. I caught one bad fudging numbers by using the total purchase price (including discounts, incentives and fees) number off their workup form and then adding destination/title fees to that (basically counting them twice) for the sales contract. Instead of admitting it, he tried to straight up lie to my face. I have learned to generally carry my self quietly, but I was a few questions off of a perfect SAT score in what should have been my sophomore year of high school. I suggested next time he not try to pull one over on someone who can do math in their head faster than he can on a calculator. I left a voicemail for their sales manager that I had purchased the same vehicle a few hours later at another dealership, and I had forwarded their antics to (Honda) corporate office. He tried to call back and smooth it over, and I told him I would only drop it if I got a written apology from them admitting it, and of course they wouldn't do that. The Honda corporate rep was none to pleased and I got the feeling it was not the first complaint of the same for that dealership.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Agreed.
Yeah, I figure I can make an exception for Stevie Ray in my boycott of Texas music. He's really the only Texas musician who comes to mind. Now, Janis was said to have played to a big crowd in Texas after she had made it (which was after she had moved to San Fran), she walks up to the mic and yells "where were you when I needed you?"

Reactions: iRONic

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
I pushed back on our vacation to Harry Potter theme park because Florida. Wife said “no” you’re not punishing the grandson because of DethSantis.

She wanted Tybee Island, GA for the return stop. I VETOED that shit and stuck to my guns.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I pushed back on our vacation to Harry Potter theme park because Florida. Wife said “no” you’re not punishing the grandson because of DethSantis.

She wanted Tybee Island, GA for the return stop. I VETOED that shit and stuck to my guns.
Gotta say I disagree in principle that a child not attending a consumerism display targeting minors is punishment. Prolly why I don't have kids.