Texas Redistricting . . .

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I wonder why districts aren't tied to something like zip codes.

Today's NY Times shows a map of one of the modified districts in Texas. It went from a generally oval shape to something looking like a failed attempt at Tetris.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
jerimandering (sp) is just insane, it's one of those slippery slopes, the Dems are just as guilty of using it to redraw districts, but this time in TX it's particularly nasty.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur

Today's NY Times shows a map of one of the modified districts in Texas. It went from a generally oval shape to something looking like a failed attempt at Tetris.

Well districts in Dallas and Houston as well as other areas have looked FAR FAR worse for the past ~20 years.

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
It's Gerrymandering.

Named after a Governor of some state in the south, back in the late 1800s who's name was Gerry. He redistricted the zones so blatantly in his favour that one of the ridings looked like a salamander. Hence, Gerry-mander.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

Agreed. They should force districts to be rectangular.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: CycloWizard

Agreed. They should force districts to be rectangular.

But they will never. It's one of those things like massive campaign contributions that's corrupting our government. The people in power benefit from the way it is, so, since they make the rules they will never change something beneficial to them.

Only way is western states which have a referendum process.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
jerimandering (sp) is just insane, it's one of those slippery slopes, the Dems are just as guilty of using it to redraw districts, but this time in TX it's particularly nasty.

Seem to remember a big fight a few years ago in one of the southern states maybe the Carolinas or Virginia where the dems did something similar. Seems one of them ran for several miles with an interstate 1/4 mile on either side of it to connect 2 predominately black population areas. This is old news. Both partys do it when they are in the drivers seat.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well there are two more electorial votes in both Texas and Florida that were mandated by the last Federal Census. I have heard of locations doing state or local cunsus to determine if they can receive more federal funds lately. Usually they only do this for an increase in population.