Texas hold'em rules question

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
So i'm playing a 10 dollar sit-n-go. I'm heads up against another player. I get JTo, he goes all in, I call. He's got pocket deuces. The flop is 555, and the turn comes and what do you know, it's another 5. So the best 5 card hand is in the community.

According to the rules, is it up to who has the higher single kicker card? I would have thought that his hand would have beat me because of the pocket deuces, but that wasn't the case. Won 50 bucks :D.

Chu

Banned
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: KLin
So i'm playing a 10 dollar sit-n-go. I'm heads up against another player. I get JTo, he goes all in, I call. He's got pocket deuces. The flop is 555, and the turn comes and what do you know, it's another 5. So the best 5 card hand is in the community.

According to the rules, is it up to who has the higher single kicker card? I would have thought that his hand would have beat me because of the pocket deuces, but that wasn't the case. Won 50 bucks :D.

Best 5 card hand, not 6 ;) quads + J > quads + 2

Chu

Banned
Jan 2, 2001
And I feal like a moron. Went from 8K chips to 0 in a $33 limit tourney @ 400/800 . . . I just could fold my kings, and they broke me twice. I gotta stop atot'ing and playing at the same time.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
It's always the best hand you can make with 5 cards out of the 7 available.

You had the four 5's, just like him. However, you had a Jack for a kicker while he only had a deuce (or whatever the highest community card was that was not a 5). His pair of deuces was meaningless.

thawolfman

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Now how would that have worked if both players (assuming only 2 were in) had an Ace kicker? Split the pot?

nycxandy

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by: thawolfman
Now how would that have worked if both players (assuming only 2 were in) had an Ace kicker? Split the pot?

Yes.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
i just recently played on pokerroom. playing free money pisses me off. it doesn't simulate the real thing cause morons raise and raise and raise. i can't wait to get more fake money and play with the non morons.

Chu

Banned
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Sid59
i just recently played on pokerroom. playing free money pisses me off. it doesn't simulate the real thing cause morons raise and raise and raise. i can't wait to get more fake money and play with the non morons.

I'm currently playing ring on a site called SportingBet poker. To give you an idea . . . their $15/$30 table has 40% of the people seeing the flop.

I decided to play the .25/.50 table just for kicks, where the seeflop% was over 90%. Some guy was getting really pissed off at me, and asked me a blunt question:

"Do you ever play anything except knigs or aces"

me : "nope"

I was up $30 at a freeging .25/.50 table . . . it was insane.

BTW, I played suited connectors too . . . the implied odds with 9 people seeing the flop are too good to pass up.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
anyone know how to play with friends on pokerroom.com

seems like we are both logged in but maybe into different servers?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Chu

I'm currently playing ring on a site called SportingBet poker. To give you an idea . . . their $15/$30 table has 40% of the people seeing the flop.

I decided to play the .25/.50 table just for kicks, where the seeflop% was over 90%. Some guy was getting really pissed off at me, and asked me a blunt question:

BTW, I played suited connectors too . . . the implied odds with 9 people seeing the flop are too good to pass up.

You play too tight. Read SSHE. :D

Chu

Banned
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Entity

SSHE? All suited connectors (above 34s), pairs, aces, and big suited aces is something like 4-5% of your hands . . . not including blinds. Doesn't SEEM that tight . . . but I'm used to $10/$20 on Paradise so I'm probably missing something.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
i lost a game like that before IRL not online

held QJ flop came Q 6 6

i go all in

opponent had AJ

i'm thinking great

turn comes 6

then river 6 :(

IMO that was the worst way to lose ever for me

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
anyone know how to play with friends on pokerroom.com

seems like we are both logged in but maybe into different servers?

Basically one or both of you just need to keep disconnecting/reconnecting until you can see the same tables. Eventually you'll end up on the same server. I don't think they have many.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: mchammer187

held QJ flop came Q 6 6

opponent had AJ

turn comes Q

i'm thinking great

Umm...I might be reading it wrong, but wouldn't you still have won that hand (Full House sixes full of queens vs. queens full of sixes) ? If the turn and river were both 6's then yeah, I could see how you would've lost and been pissed.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Whisper

held QJ flop came Q 6 6

opponent had AJ

turn comes Q

i'm thinking great

Umm...I might be reading it wrong, but wouldn't you still have won that hand (Full House sixes full of queens vs. queens full of sixes) ? If the turn and river were both 6's then yeah, I could see how you would've lost and been pissed.

yeah turn and river were 6 i'll edit my original post

oznerol

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2002
www.lorenzoisawesome.com

held QJ flop came Q 6 6

opponent had AJ

turn comes Q

i'm thinking great

I just had to comment on this.

You won this hand, if all is correct. You had QQQ-66, he/she had QQ-666. So unless they had A-6 or something, you won with Queens full of sixes as opposed to sixes full of Queens.

And, for the record. If that flop shows and someone with AJ stays in it, and even after the turn they stay in it, they are morons.

Might as well tell my worst loss:

I had A-2 suited.

Flop is A-5-2

Turn is 2

River is 9

I had full house, 2's full of aces, I bet hard. Opponent shows, pocket 9's.

9's full of 2's beats 2's full of aces.

Ugh.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: ducci

held QJ flop came Q 6 6

opponent had AJ

turn comes Q

i'm thinking great

I just had to comment on this.

You won this hand, if all is correct. You had QQQ-66, he/she had QQ-666. So unless they had A-6 or something, you won with Queens full of sixes as opposed to sixes full of Queens.

And, for the record. If that flop shows and someone with AJ stays in it, and even after the turn they stay in it, they are morons.

Might as well tell my worst loss:

I had A-2 suited.

Flop is A-5-2

Turn is 2

River is 9

I had full house, 2's full of aces, I bet hard. Opponent shows, pocket 9's.

9's full of 2's beats 2's full of aces.

Ugh.

I wouldn't necessarily say the person with the AJ was a moron if he/she stayed in. It'd really depend on how many people were in the hand, how everyone else involved was betting, etc. Hell, with QQ66 out on the board and only one other person involved in the hand, the guy with the AJ has a decent chance of winning with two pair and the A kicker.

As far as bad beats, I HATE losing with rockets (or any high pair, for that matter) to someone that decides pre-flop he's going to stay in the hand regardless, and then beats me on the river with his 9 by catching four other clubs. That always sucks.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

SSHE? All suited connectors (above 34s), pairs, aces, and big suited aces is something like 4-5% of your hands . . . not including blinds. Doesn't SEEM that tight . . . but I'm used to $10/$20 on Paradise so I'm probably missing something.

SSHE = Small Stakes Hold'em.

Really depends on how tight the game you are playing in is, but that seems a bit too tight for most games I've seen. What do you do with other big broadway suited cards? KQs in say, MP2? KQo if you've got two limpers before you and you're in the CO? (I'll raise).

Only playing 4-5% of your hands is WAY too tight. A good VPIP (measurement of how many hands you voluntarily pay to play) should be 15-19%. That's in the tight range. If you're only playing 10% or less of your hands, you're missing out on a lot of profitable opportunities.

If you're playing at a table where it's 3-5 to the flop and only 1-2 to the showdown, then only playing those hands could be profitable, but it's still a pretty narrow range. Additionally, lower pocket pairs (99 and below) have less value there because they don't have much set equity without a larger pot being built up preflop/on the flop by looser players.

In a loose game (55%+ to see the flop), I'll usually play suited connectors if there are limpers ahead of me (56s, but also more speculative hands like J9s, QTs, even J8s if it's 8 to the flop), Axs (very profitable hand if you can play it well), big unsuited broadway cards I'll raise (KJ, AT, AJ, AQ, AK, KQ), and all big suited broadway cards I'll raise (add QJs to this mix as well). Will also play any pocket pair in those sorts of games, as they are very profitable in the right situations.

In a tight game, I play a lot less hands, and if I'm playing a hand, I'll usually come in for a raise, with the exception of low pocket pairs and low suited connectors. Those are tougher to play in a tight game, as pots aren't huge, so I'll usually only play them in LP.

How much do you play ring vs. tournament?

Rob

Chu

Banned
Jan 2, 2001

SSHE = Small Stakes Hold'em.

Really depends on how tight the game you are playing in is, but that seems a bit too tight for most games I've seen. What do you do with other big broadway suited cards? KQs in say, MP2? KQo if you've got two limpers before you and you're in the CO? (I'll raise).

Only playing 4-5% of your hands is WAY too tight. A good VPIP (measurement of how many hands you voluntarily pay to play) should be 15-19%. That's in the tight range. If you're only playing 10% or less of your hands, you're missing out on a lot of profitable opportunities.

If you're playing at a table where it's 3-5 to the flop and only 1-2 to the showdown, then only playing those hands could be profitable, but it's still a pretty narrow range. Additionally, lower pocket pairs (99 and below) have less value there because they don't have much set equity without a larger pot being built up preflop/on the flop by looser players.

In a loose game (55%+ to see the flop), I'll usually play suited connectors if there are limpers ahead of me (56s, but also more speculative hands like J9s, QTs, even J8s if it's 8 to the flop), Axs (very profitable hand if you can play it well), big unsuited broadway cards I'll raise (KJ, AT, AJ, AQ, AK, KQ), and all big suited broadway cards I'll raise (add QJs to this mix as well). Will also play any pocket pair in those sorts of games, as they are very profitable in the right situations.

In a tight game, I play a lot less hands, and if I'm playing a hand, I'll usually come in for a raise, with the exception of low pocket pairs and low suited connectors. Those are tougher to play in a tight game, as pots aren't huge, so I'll usually only play them in LP.

How much do you play ring vs. tournament?

Rob

The only time when I play ring is when chasing a bonus, or the game is HIGHLY profitable (this sistuation). I just find ring sorta boring after tourneys, though the downside to tourneys is one mistake and you throw away 2-3 hours of work, and it hurts.

Also, I swear I should just fold KK. In my last 10 multi-table tourneys, KK has done me in FOUR times, and one of those was in limit! This hand is a severe hole in my game, I always find a way to play it wrong :(