Texas day care worker filmed throwing down children at naptime

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Daycare worker, 22, is filmed slamming a toddler down on his face at nap time as his horrified mother watches via a livestream
  • Jazmine Torres, 22, was filmed slamming the 18-month-old on the ground
  • She was putting him down for a nap at The Children's Courtyard in Plano, Texas
  • The boy's mother had tuned in to a live feed while on her lunch break at work
  • She caught the daycare worker roughly laying him down and went to collect him
  • Her friends recorded the live stream after she left and saw Torres slamming him down again
  • She now faces a child endangerment charge from Plano Police Department

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Not saying I haven't seen worse, but I'd crawl right down her throat and set up camp for that. Don't really understand the reasoning behind people sometimes, I'm gentler than that with stuffed animals.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
She threw him down on a soft sleeping mat, not on the floor. Child care is not for her, but endangerment seems like a stretch.

Reactions: cytg111

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
That was inappropriate aggression, but I don't see evidence that the child could have suffered any trauma (physical or otherwise) from this treatment. It seems egregious enough to warrant firing and restriction from future child care work, but not criminal. I am also struggling to see what criminal prosecution and punishment would accomplish? If our recidivism statistics say anything it's that she's more likely to cement her bad behavior from imprisonment than learn something positive from it. And it sure would cost us a lot of money. And I personally don't need to direct sadistic aggression toward her to feel better about myself (I have you guys for that).

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Honestly, it doesn't look that bad to me. I was expecting a football spike and it was more a callous drop.

Certainly a line was crossed, but I've seen worse.

Reactions: cytg111

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I take it the job is just a paycheck to her.
Desperate people fight for scraps to do things they otherwise wouldn't or shouldn't be doing.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
There no good reason to traumatize any child.
An assault is an assault!!! She endangered the child.
How would feel if someone did that to you????

I don't think anyone here is saying she acted appropriately.

Nov 8, 2012
She threw him down on a soft sleeping mat, not on the floor. Child care is not for her, but endangerment seems like a stretch.

Regardless of how soft the mat is, that doesn't mean she can't land incorrectly and break something.

I'm incredibly glad to see she isn't simply getting fired and is also being charged with a crime.

Reactions: NAC4EV

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Regardless of how soft the mat is, that doesn't mean she can't land incorrectly and break something.

I'm incredibly glad to see she isn't simply getting fired and is also being charged with a crime.

Agreed.
Children of that age and size are so fragile, many have died due to the rough handling by an adult.

Last edited:

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
better than this doctor

There no good reason to traumatize any child.

child doesn't look traumatized to me

An assault is an assault!!! She endangered the child.

did she? it was no worse than what that doc was doing during a routine examination

How would feel if someone did that to you????

well, dwarfs seem to get tossed quite a bit harder without ill effect . . .

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

If that's the standard, all play would be banned in preschool. A kid can always land incorrectly and hurt oneself.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
The boy is 18 months old, according to KDFW-TV (Channel 4).

Jazmine Torres has been charged with one felony count of child endangerment or abandoning a child/criminal negligence. Torres is currently being held at the Collin County jail. A $10,000 bond had been set in the case.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Toddler's heads are far larger than their necks and neck muscles as compared to an adults. That has the potential to cause neck injuries. And it is completely out of line.

I am not sure I would've called the cops, if the center immediately fired the person. But if they gave me the runaway at all, I'd be calling at least DHS.

Although a kid might get hit playing, having a caretaker intentionally mistreating them is wrong and I'm glad she was arrested and hopefully the center gets fined too.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's a sleeping mat, plus she put a thick blanket on top of it. And it's like a 1 foot drop. It's rough treatment, and she should get fired, but felony endangerment is a stretch.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
It's a sleeping mat, plus she put a thick blanket on top of it. And it's like a 1 foot drop. It's rough treatment, and she should get fired, but felony endangerment is a stretch.

Tell that to the police.
BTW when is the last time you check your oil????:p
Sounds like your down a quart or two..:eek:
Is your check engine warning light on???

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Tell that to the police

Police make arrests on a regular basis just to have charges dropped later. I think you mean tell it to the judge.

What this employee did was terrible and deserves to be fired.

As a father of two boys, my kids have fell harder just playing with other kids. I've seen two toddlers start fighting and tumble down a 3 foot wooden slide, start crying then continue fighting again over the same toy...this was at a play group.

Kids are fragile, but more resilient than adults in some ways.

We'll see if the charges stick, hope someone bumps the thread with updates.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
better than this doctor

child doesn't look traumatized to me

did she? it was no worse than what that doc was doing during a routine examination

well, dwarfs seem to get tossed quite a bit harder without ill effect . . .

What is this, some kind of lame apologist bot?

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
That wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Rewatching it I actually chuckled a little (assuming it was the second baby in white that was supposed to be the more objectionable toss). She placed them on their fours face-first, it's not like she was dropping them by their legs. Maybe it looks a little aggressive, but not harmful. My dad probably did worse tossing us in the air (inb4 "He must have failed to catch you once").

I get why parents would be concerned/protective, but criminal charges seem silly.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
ORLY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ihdsjIqhI (potentially NSFW for some nekkid babies)

please explain how that light toss put any more strain on the neck than what these mothers are doing

Can't watch the video. But the fact baby's heads are much too big for their necks at least as compared to adults is a fact not up for debate. Yes, you can play rough with babies, yes they are tougher than a lot of people think. But there is a huge difference between playing roughly with a loving parent, or a certified doctor doing physical exams or even just someone accidentally dropped a kid than a 22 yo daycare work dropping kids on cots. The daycare worker was not playing with the kids, or doing an exam, she was either being lazy or straight up abusive and either way it looked aggressive with both of the kids in the video.

I have a daughter in that age range right now and watch them on the cameras all the time, no worker there has ever handled a baby like that while I've been watching and I know if they did they'd be fired on the spot.

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
But there is a huge difference between playing roughly with a loving parent

sorry, bodies don't care whether you're 'loving' or not, they only care about physics

if it's ok for a 'loving' parent, it's just as ok for an indifferent child care worker