Texas county arrests woman for murder because she had a 'self-induced abortion.'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I hadn't seen that from my brief review, but if true, anyone that did that should lose their license. No one was in immediate harm. The damage was already done so to speak. Health care privacy is pretty clear on this.

Interesting. I wonder if an organization like the AMA can enforce such a thing--remove medical license for an entire hospital (it would need to go after the hospital, I think; not just individuals). That would be....cool.

National organizations and especially when it comes to public health and patient privacy, sure as shit don't have to concern themselves with local law. Certainly not batshit, anti-constitutional law.

It would be a way for the Feds to go after Texas and get this shit axed.

Reactions: hal2kilo

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I hadn't seen that from my brief review, but if true, anyone that did that should lose their license. No one was in immediate harm. The damage was already done so to speak. Health care privacy is pretty clear on this.
chances are they were following the letter of the law, seems a catch 22, damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
chances are they were following the letter of the law, seems a catch 22, damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.
Yeah. State laws can sometimes conflict with health privacy as described by federal regulations.

It's really bullshit considering people are going to the hospital for help. Attorneys don't have this obligation. It's another annoying example of control of health care workers.

The best course is to play dumb in these cases. Don't document then report that you don't recall the details. Obviously if someone remains at risk child abuse, elder abuse, etc, that is a cometely different story.

Edit: heck even clergy are allowed to bite their tongue for past crimes. For ongoing issues like child abuse, most states don't require the priest to report. Let that sink in. We as a society are basically using health care workers as an extension of the police. While letting religious organizations cover up whatever they want.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The reality of reality TV is that nothing could be further from the truth. It's all pushed BS.
Now Roadkill is my version of reality TV. Engine Masters also.
Those shows probably wouldn't work for me. I watch a fair amount of sports on TV (exclusively OTA, haven't done subscription TV since our cable was cut almost 30 years ago). But I will NOT watch car races, never have. I haven't moved my car from where it's sitting in my driveway for ~2 months! Recently I skate many more miles than I drive.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
While it may appear that America has gone bat-shet extremist far right, far religious right, I myself don't think that is the case. I will bet that come the midterms, women across America will take their revenge at the polls.
Banning books, banning abortion, banning gays and transgenders, I doubt this is what America wants and believe me... people are paying attention. We can debate abortion and the bible all we want, but dictating what a woman can and can not do with her own body? That's entirely different.

People don't care about that stuff as much as they do crippling inflation and $7 gas, even if it isn't totally this administration's fault.

The midterms are going to be a one sided blow out.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
People don't care about that stuff as much as they do crippling inflation and $7 gas, even if it isn't totally this administration's fault.

The midterms are going to be a one sided blow out.
Inflation and gas prices are 100% corporate greed. Profits are at all time high for these companies. Late stage capitalism is the cause. The administration's only contribution is its lack of education for the voters.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Inflation and gas prices are 100% corporate greed. Profits are at all time high for these companies. Late stage capitalism is the cause. The administration's only contribution is its lack of education for the voters.

I don't disagree with you.

But that's not how voters vote.

Reactions: SmCaudata

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Did the original story say how far along she was? The whole thing is bat shit, but makes slightly more sense if she was 36 weeks versus 10 weeks.

The whole issue needs to take into account the age of the unborn child.
Women need quick and easy access to medical professionals in proper medical settings. Up to a certain age of gestation.
It's the only compromise that makes sense.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The whole issue needs to take into account the age of the unborn child.
Women need quick and easy access to medical professionals in proper medical settings. Up to a certain age of gestation.
It's the only compromise that makes sense.
For medical reasons it should not have a gestation limit. For non medical reasons, 24 weeks works and we already have it.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Clearly being pedantic here but: everyone outside the US?
Really being pedantic but that is incorrect. Saudi is $2.35 a gallon for example. Now I agree that most of the world probably pays more. But the person I responded too was clearly focused on the US market.

MissMuskrat

Banned
Apr 11, 2022
Can’t imagine the poor lady having to resort to abort her own child THEN dealing with the aftermath like that. All because of the republicans lack of humanity. That state is a literal hellhole in most parts.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
For medical reasons it should not have a gestation limit. For non medical reasons, 24 weeks works and we already have it.
I'd say rape and incest should have no time limit either as the the victims could be coerced .

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'd say rape and incest should have no time limit either as the the victims could be coerced .
I'd say that should probably depend on the circumstances. That being said, I think it would be a one in a million thing so no point in allowing it to be a wedge.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Until the US guarantees timely access to health care for pregnant women, there can be no time limit.

Pregnancy tests are not all that reliable until you are at least 4 weeks pregnant, sometimes longer. When my wife found out she was pregnant she called 3 different Women's Health groups in a metropolitan area, and the soonest she could get in was about 5 weeks. Basically, she was 10 weeks along. We had really good insurance.

Women that these laws are targeting often lack the coverage or funds to access care. Saying they need to do something before 6 weeks is basically impossible.

Lastly, some of the laws on the books are crazy. In MN there was a "right to know" law that would make the providers read things about the babies development. They can feel pain at x, have a heat beat at x. It is really a "right to tell/judge" law. Anyway, can you imagine how traumatic this process is for someone that just found out their baby had anencephaly, or something similarly incompatible with life. It's cruel.

Until we can get our act straight with regards to access and equity of care, it should 100% be doctor patient only. If we can get to the point where we have care like the scandanavian countries, I'd be more willing to accept limits like those countries have. Even then, it shouldn't be me, it should be women and their female doctors coming up with reasonable guidelines.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The anti woman cancer spreads...

Wenjmtd.jpeg

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Really being pedantic but that is incorrect. Saudi is $2.35 a gallon for example. Now I agree that most of the world probably pays more. But the person I responded too was clearly focused on the US market.
It also should be noted that most of the world that has higher gas prices are due to taxes that are much, much higher than anywhere in the US. Denmark for example has a gas tax north of $2.50 a gallon. Even if you add California's gas tax (the nation's highest), and the federal gas tax together, the total gas tax is south of $0.90 a gallon.