Texas again- Good or bad girl with a gun?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Lord, that's such a depressing news story. 16, committing burglary with a rifle, and blew off half her foot?

But was it really an AK47 as the story says? Surely those would be pretty hard for a private individual to legally possess so where would they have stolen it from? Or is it common/legal to have ones modified to semi-auto?

Reactions: MagnusTheBrewer

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Lord, that's such a depressing news story. 16, committing burglary with a rifle, and blew off half her foot?

But was it really an AK47 as the story says? Surely those would be pretty hard for a private individual to legally possess so where would they have stolen it from? Or is it common/legal to have ones modified to semi-auto?

Its not that uncommon here in the states. It's my understanding that owning an ak-47 variant is more likely. More knowledgeable gun owners will chime in :)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
How does one shove an AK-47 down one's pants?

I guess they make chopped down versions but the basic guts are still pretty big.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Aw man, blew her heel off. That's got to be one horrific injury. She will be paying for it the rest of her life, there is no way that gets fixed good as new.

Maybe she was huge, and the AK was an SBR with a 10rd mag? Idk, I'm looking at one right now and even with no mag and a collapsed stock, there is no way I could fit that in my pants. I'm 6'4" with a size 38 waist for reference. Figures someone dumb enough to rob people like this would never think of a sling and coat combo.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

No mod necessary, AKs are semi-auto to begin with. It's the full auto function that is controlled and requires an expensive legal mod.

They said they chucked it down a storm drain, which means it's still sitting there as an AK is far heavier/bulkier than a polymer pistol. I'd say no chance it went far, should be easy enough to recover.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Stolen gun, gun owner should have to answer why it was so easy to acquire the weapon.

If a driver for a bank robbery gone wrong can be charged with murder, I don't see why should gunowners who don't secure their guns get off scat free.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If a driver for a bank robbery gone wrong can be charged with murder, I don't see why gunowners who don't secure their guns get off scat free.

As a responsible gun owner, I completely agree. I'd like to see universal background checks, violent criminals losing their guns immediately, and real penalties for those who allow their guns to be used in the commission of a crime*. If you beat your old lady, you shouldn't have guns. If you have a history of mental illness, you shouldn't have guns. If you can't keep your guns secure, you shouldn't have guns.

*via apathy or stupidity

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

I guess they make chopped down versions but the basic guts are still pretty big.
This should have been the first reply, and nothing else about this story matters until we resolve this.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
There's some serious lack of reading comprehension in this thread. The article states that the teens were handling the gun in the front yard of the male. It states that the gun had been stolen earlier. It states that one of the females shot herself in the foot. It does not state that she had it in her pants or that the burglary was in progress at the time.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
There's some serious lack of reading comprehension in this thread. The article states that the teens were handling the gun in the front yard of the male. It states that the gun had been stolen earlier. It states that one of the females shot herself in the foot. It does not state that she had it in her pants or that the burglary was in progress at the time.

Correct that it doesn't say a buglary was in progress at the time of the shooting... but the first line does say "shot herself in the foot with an allegedly stolen AK-47 that she had stuffed down her pants". Which does make one wonder how big these pants were (or maybe they are using AK47 to just mean 'a military-looking gun'?)

It's also slightly unclear to me as to whether "the male had taken the AK-47 from his home " implies the "burglary" was him taking it from his own parents or guardians without permission or if the implication is that it had previously been burgled from someone else's home before being kept at his home.

Also the other story linked to on there highlighted another danger of gun ownership...or maybe dog ownership, not sure...

(MORE: Dog shoots man, man survives, defends dog: 'He didn't mean to do it. He's a good dog.')

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

House/lounge pants.

Stolen gun, gun owner should have to answer why it was so easy to acquire the weapon.

While I would agree that this issue should be investigated from that perspective I doubt people would be saying this if the object in question was a stolen car and the girl was injured while she was driving the car recklessly.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Correct that it doesn't say a buglary was in progress at the time of the shooting... but the first line does say "shot herself in the foot with an allegedly stolen AK-47 that she had stuffed down her pants". Which does make one wonder how big these pants were (or maybe they are using AK47 to just mean 'a military-looking gun'?)

It's also slightly unclear to me as to whether "the male had taken the AK-47 from his home " implies the "burglary" was him taking it from his own parents or guardians without permission or if the implication is that it had previously been burgled from someone else's home before being kept at his home.

Also the other story linked to on there highlighted another danger of gun ownership...or maybe dog ownership, not sure...

(MORE: Dog shoots man, man survives, defends dog: 'He didn't mean to do it. He's a good dog.')

I apparently can't read better than others. My mistake.

Your link? A person has to be dumb as shit to carry a rifle in a car with a round in the chamber.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
While I would agree that this issue should be investigated from that perspective I doubt people would be saying this if the object in question was a stolen car and the girl was injured while she was driving the car recklessly.

Inconsequential, cars aren't built with the intended purpose of causing death. Guns have one purpose in life.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
People are allowed to legally own and carry AK-47s? Seriously?
Can't claim it's for hunting use, that one...lol

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
People are allowed to legally own and carry AK-47s? Seriously?
Can't claim it's for hunting use, that one...lol

A standard semi-automatic AK-47 build is no different than many of the other semi-automatic hunting rifles out there. You can get them in .22LR and many other common small through big-game loads.

The AK-47 variants here are not like the AK-47 fully automatic military variants shooting massive 7.62x39 rounds (well, they could, but not legally, though the round itself in semi-automatic form is available and legal for various hunting rifles out there).

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
The AK-47 variants here are not like the AK-47 fully automatic military variants shooting massive 7.62x39 rounds (well, they could, but not legally, though the round itself in semi-automatic form is available and legal for various hunting rifles out there).

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but it's funny to hear someone call the 7.62x39 "massive," when it's an intermediate round that was designed by chopping the 7.62x54R in half. Most hunters here in the States consider it weak for a deer round. This may surprise you, but the difference between a fully automatic AK-47 overseas and a domestically produced AK-47 isn't the caliber, it's the presence of an auto sear and appropriate pins/spring that allow for fully automatic fire - and that's pretty much it.

Ammo isn't sold in "semi-auto" form, it's just ammo. 7.63.x39 is legal for any rifle that fires it.

I'd spend some more time with guns before posting about them if I were you.

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but it's funny to hear someone call the 7.62x39 "massive," when it's an intermediate round that was designed by chopping the 7.62x54R in half. Most hunters here in the States consider it weak for a deer round. This may surprise you, but the difference between a fully automatic AK-47 overseas and a domestically produced AK-47 isn't the caliber, it's the presence of an auto sear and appropriate pin/spring that allow for fully automatic fire - and that's pretty much it.

Ammo isn't sold in "semi-auto" form, it's just ammo. 7.63.x39 is legal for any rifle that fires it.

I'd spend some more time with guns before posting about them if I were you.

If you're not sure what I'm trying to say, asking for clarification would probably be a more constructive use of your time vs. demeaning. 7.62x39 is indeed a much heavier load than 5.56, .223, .22LR, and various common handgun rounds to the average person. That's what I was comparing it to. It's no 30-06, but it's a medium-large round. If you have any empirical evidence that "most" hunters consider it a weak round for deer, I'd be interested to see it, but this sounds more like your feels.

The difference between a fully automatic AK-47 and a semi-automatic AK-47 is not surprising to me at all. The AK-47 fully automatic is indeed different from the semi-automatic. Just because "that's it" doesn't mean it's not a very meaningful different, if anything with regards to legality. These variants also indeed get offered in different rounds. A domestic AK-47 variant does not guarantee it's shooting 7.62x39.

I also fully understand the ammo portion. It was very poorly worded. I intended to state that the round is indeed freely available and legal for semi-automatic rifles, but your average person is not going to be using it fully automatic AK-47s.

As far as my time with guns, I don't think I agree with you given how much time I know I've had, but you're free to disagree. It's just a forum after all.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
A standard semi-automatic AK-47 build is no different than many of the other semi-automatic hunting rifles out there. You can get them in .22LR and many other common small through big-game loads.

So AK-47s really are used for hunting? Wow.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If you're not sure what I'm trying to say, asking for clarification would probably be a more constructive use of your time vs. demeaning. 7.62x39 is indeed a much heavier load than 5.56, .223, .22LR, and various common handgun rounds to the average person. That's what I was comparing it to. It's no 30-06, but it's a medium-large round. If you have any empirical evidence that "most" hunters consider it a weak round for deer, I'd be interested to see it, but this sounds more like your feels.

The difference between a fully automatic AK-47 and a semi-automatic AK-47 is not surprising to me at all. The AK-47 fully automatic is indeed different from the semi-automatic. Just because "that's it" doesn't mean it's not a very meaningful different, if anything with regards to legality. These variants also indeed get offered in different rounds. A domestic AK-47 variant does not guarantee it's shooting 7.62x39.

I also fully understand the ammo portion. It was very poorly worded. I intended to state that the round is indeed freely available and legal for semi-automatic rifles, but your average person is not going to be using it fully automatic AK-47s.

As far as my time with guns, I don't think I agree with you given how much time I know I've had, but you're free to disagree. It's just a forum after all.

*sigh*

Sometimes I hate being right.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So AK-47s really are used for hunting? Wow.

They actually make great pig guns down South, where you're hunting in thick stuff and distances are under 100ft. Just strap them to ATV and don't worry about that mud and debris. And because where there is 1 pig there are usually at least 12, not having a bolt, lever or slide to work is quite handy.

Should use SP ammo though, maybe also ditch the 30rd mag for a 20.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If a driver for a bank robbery gone wrong can be charged with murder, I don't see why gunowners who don't secure their guns get off scat free.
Part of being a responsible gun owner is securing your arms. If you secure your arms, then you should get off scat free, I shit you not.

Reactions: DarthKyrie