Texans very concerned about where you urinate and defecate

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I believe in rationality and scientific facts.

Transgender people don't choose their gender identity voluntarily; this is demonstrably true and not up for dispute. And can you actually cite any examples of rapists dressing up as women to get into a bathroom? No, of course you can't. Why? Because a rapist isn't going to bother putting on a disguise for the 10 seconds it takes to get into the washroom. They don't have to -- they just wait until no one's paying attention.

Anti-transgender bathroom laws are based solely on irrational hatred for and fear of transgender people. There is no practical justification for them. And it's pretty bold to proclaim that your faith is the absolute truth on the subject, especially when facts on the ground prove otherwise. Besides, the US supports freedom of religion; if a person's actions aren't harmful (and using the toilet certainly isn't), why do you get to impose your purely religion-based rules on them?

Religion is an all encompassing word, just calling you human and criticizing you for it. Unless of course you claim not to be human but trans species, which would not surprise me.

Furthermore, it was YOU who claimed some sort of biblical context NOT ME. All I said was it is that unisex bathrooms are tacky and unacceptable and will never work. I never mentioned the Bible, but you ASSUMED it, in typical atheist fashion.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Pretty sure transgendered people in bathrooms had nothing to do with brexit. Or do you have some actual evidence you would like to cite?

Unisex bathrooms are the symptom of the multifaceted disease which also includes mass immigration, anti free speech laws that prohibit criticism of those immigrants, etc., etc., etc.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Unisex bathrooms are the symptom of the multifaceted disease which also includes mass immigration, anti free speech laws that prohibit criticism of those immigrants, etc., etc., etc.
Will you be carrying your birth certificate with you at all times?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Religion is an all encompassing word, just calling you human and criticizing you for it. Unless of course you claim not to be human but trans species, which would not surprise me.

Furthermore, it was YOU who claimed some sort of biblical context NOT ME. All I said was it is that unisex bathrooms are tacky and unacceptable and will never work. I never mentioned the Bible, but you ASSUMED it, in typical atheist fashion.

Well, what logical, evidence-based reasons do you have for forcing transgender people to either use bathrooms based on their birth sex or hold it in until they get home? Making them use the one based on their birth sex is not only denigrating, it encourages harassment and violence by less tolerant people. And of course, having to wait is alternately humiliating and uncomfortable.

That's the thing. You can try to deflect as much as you want by making claims about atheism, but there's a simple reality: since I started participating, you haven't once named a sound reason why transgender people shouldn't be allowed in bathrooms that reflect their gender identity. So far, it sounds like it's either a result of cultural tradition (heavily based in religious indoctrination) or "ick, different-looking people are weird."

Also, to make things clear: I haven't been arguing for unisex washrooms. That isn't where it has to lead, and I will never buy your facile slippery slope arguments to the contrary. The only goal is to show that transgender people should be allowed to go to the washrooms that make them feel like complete, accepted human beings.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Yes Europe says OK and have personally witnessed it, from unisex bathrooms, full nudity on broadcast television, prophylactic vending machines, legalized prostitution,open nudity on news stand publications, topless beaches, etc., etc. a relative hedonistic paradise,

but Europeans have a little problem, they are taking their secular lifestyle for granted while importing millions of middle eastern religious right on steroids types, letting Saudi's built mosques for them and send them religious leaders to keep them indoctrinated in their middle age religious lifestyle,

and once they reach critical mass by higher birthrate combined with non assimilating male dominated , homophobic, misogynistic culture immigration they are going to undo all these things European liberals and their American supporters say is OK,

and apologist liberals will lead Europe right over the cliff known as the end of secularism.
Well since we're going down that route.....

And the scare mongering trumpsters who fear everything foreign to them will help try to lead america into a bigotted nation where papers-please is the norm and anyone out of the normal will have very few rights....

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Well, what logical, evidence-based reasons do you have for forcing transgender people to either use bathrooms based on their birth sex or hold it in until they get home? Making them use the one based on their birth sex is not only denigrating, it encourages harassment and violence by less tolerant people. And of course, having to wait is alternately humiliating and uncomfortable.

That's the thing. You can try to deflect as much as you want by making claims about atheism, but there's a simple reality: since I started participating, you haven't once named a sound reason why transgender people shouldn't be allowed in bathrooms that reflect their gender identity. So far, it sounds like it's either a result of cultural tradition (heavily based in religious indoctrination) or "ick, different-looking people are weird."

Also, to make things clear: I haven't been arguing for unisex washrooms. That isn't where it has to lead, and I will never buy your facile slippery slope arguments to the contrary. The only goal is to show that transgender people should be allowed to go to the washrooms that make them feel like complete, accepted human beings.

Please. Once you get used to the idea of seeing what appears to be the opposite sex in the restroom, it is effectively acceptance of wide scale unisex bathrooms.

And what makes you think that seeing the opposite sex in the restroom is not harassment and violence of those who do not wish to experience that disgusting notion?

You only want to see one side of the argument. Far more will possibly suffer to accommodate a small percentage of gender confused people.

Last edited:

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Well since we're going down that route.....

And the scare mongering trumpsters who fear everything foreign to them will help try to lead america into a bigotted nation where papers-please is the norm and anyone out of the normal will have very few rights....

What gave you the notion that every place has to be same, otherwise its "bigotry"? That is the most moronic notion mentioned so far in this thread.

Unisex bathrooms, full frontal nudity on television, and all that all other European crap is for the birds! Do you smoke pot?

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
What gave you the notion that every place has to be same, otherwise its "bigotry"? That is the most moronic notion mentioned so far in this thread.

Unisex bathrooms, full frontal nudity on television, and all that all other European crap is for the birds! Do you smoke pot?
OMG Nudity!!!! we can't let the children see that!!! Quick turn the channel and let them watch people getting murdered.. .ahh much better... WTF are you on? LOL

Nov 25, 2013

Join the party it might do you some good. See how happy everyone is?

DhatH0X.gif

giphy.gif

As for unisex bathrooms, nudity on tv and so on, what is the problem exactly? How do any of these things cause harm to anyone?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
full frontal nudity on television, and all that all other European crap is for the birds! Do you smoke pot?

What are you a Puritan? OMGZ Full frontal nudity on TV! Smoking pot is still an insult? Jesus H Christ get in the 21st Century already.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Please. Once you get used to the idea of seeing what appears to be the opposite sex in the restroom, it is effectively acceptance of wide scale unisex bathrooms.

And what makes you think that seeing the opposite sex in the restroom is not harassment and violence of those who do not wish to experience that disgusting notion?

You only want to see one side of the argument. Far more will possibly suffer to accommodate a small percentage of gender confused people.

But it won't appear to be the opposite sex. Do you actually interact with transgender people, or do you run screaming the moment you see one? Sure, you can sometimes see traces of their birth sex in their faces or figures, but it's not as if they'd be fish out of water. They're not flashing their goods at you any more than a cisgender person would.

And their very presence is not harassment. Full stop. Remember, a white Southerner who saw a black person in a 1950s "whites-only" washroom would be having a similar reaction as you -- they saw black people as "disgusting" interlopers in their safe space. Bigots are not entitled to have their narrow-minded world views protected in public spaces. However, all human beings are entitled to a basic level of dignity, and that includes transgender people.

I only see one side of the argument because, so far, only one side of the argument has actually showed up. You still have yet to show evidence that letting transgender people go to the washroom that reflects their gender identity will be the tragedy you claim it is. It'll make an undefined number of people uncomfortable... but the majority? That's a tough claim to support. And permanently? That's impossible to predict, and historically unlikely. Even the most deeply segregated states got used to black people sharing washrooms and drinking fountains. You don't get comfortable with another cultural group by isolating it from everyone else.

Meanwhile, there are many instances of harassment and violence against transgender people who've simply wanted to use a gender identity-appropriate washroom in areas where the law is either unclear or explicitly discriminates against them. You aren't going to end that harassment by reinforcing hateful mindsets through the law. And need I remind you that the Constitution focuses heavily on protecting the rights of the minority, not enforcing the status quo?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
What really bothers me is the term cisgender. Gender and sex is complex and rides along a two-dimensional spectrum. Telling me i'm born with a penis and live as a man, doesn't allow me to express the unique way in which I live as a man with my own penis.

I'd prefer we just do away with labels in this day and age because I for one am incapable of not being offended. Thank you for your consideration.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
What exactly was so horrible about the status quo of sex-specific bathrooms? Was any government intervention necessary? Did transgender people use the bathroom of their choice, or were they hauled off upon detection?

Of the silliness that can be ascribed to progressives, this is by far the silliest.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
What exactly was so horrible about the status quo of sex-specific bathrooms? Was any government intervention necessary? Did transgender people use the bathroom of their choice, or were they hauled off upon detection?

Of the silliness that can be ascribed to progressives, this is by far the silliest.

Was this campaigned for by progressive SJW? Or was it due to conservatives suspicious that trans were using a bathroom other than their born sex.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Was this campaigned for by progressive SJW? Or was it due to conservatives suspicious that trans were using a bathroom other than their born sex.

Do you know the answer? Honest question. Where did this all start?

My impression was that no one really cared if a man who gave a convincing impression of a woman used the ladies room. Most people simply didn't notice.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
“We’re aligned on 90-to-95 percent of things,” Patrick began, while suggesting this isn’t one of them.

He went on to lay out his argument for it: "Transgender people have obviously been going into the ladies’ room for a long time, and there hasn't been an issue that I know of," he said. "But, if laws are passed by cities and counties and school districts allow men to go into a bathroom because of the way they feel, we will not be able to stop sexual predators from taking advantage of that law, like sexual predators take advantage of the internet.”
http://www.khou.com/news/politics/lt-gov-patrick-rebrands-texas-bathroom-bill/339659250

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Do you know the answer? Honest question. Where did this all start?

My impression was that no one really cared if a man who gave a convincing impression of a woman used the ladies room. Most people simply didn't notice.

I was asking you!