Question Tether phone to a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
So, I have a pixel 3a xl, I have tethered it to my laptop without issues. I do have a hotspot, and it's limited to 5 Mbps. I'd like to have full speed 30 Mbps on all my connected devices. I also have high-speed cable at home, I would only use this if the cable was out.

So, anyone ever tethered their pixel to a router with a USB port?

What would be a good router that would tether successfully?

Thank you!

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I wouldn't tether using the usb as it more than likely won't work. What would work is using a travel adapter to convert the wireless Internet to wired and then just remove the cable modem ethernet and use the one from the travel adapter which is your tethering.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So, I have a pixel 3a xl, I have tethered it to my laptop without issues. I do have a hotspot, and it's limited to 5 Mbps. I'd like to have full speed 30 Mbps on all my connected devices. I also have high-speed cable at home, I would only use this if the cable was out.

This is illegal.

We can not talk about this subject here, as it requires you going around your ISP and can lead to permenant account termination, from you going around the tether block.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
This is illegal.

We can not talk about this subject here, as it requires you going around your ISP and can lead to permenant account termination, from you going around the tether block.
I don't think the OP is asking for a bypass, but simply a way to tether to his/her router versus laptop--this wouldn't necessarily be in breech of any contracts, but does depend on the contract.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
This is illegal.

My Google Pixel has a built-in tether right on the phone in the settings... So technically, if they let you do it, why not? But ok.... We won't talk about it! lol

I tether to my laptop all the time, no problem.

Visible pretty much lets you do anything.... hotspot, tether, unlimited data, unlimited everything. Tho, the hotspot is throttled to 5Mbps. Still, it's unlimited.

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
My Google Pixel has a built-in tether right on the phone in the settings... So technically, if they let you do it, why not? But ok.... We won't talk about it! lol

using thether via phone and not though a sideload app is not considered illegal.

What your asking for is a way to go around the 5mbps limit put on the isp by the phone.
Unless your hardware is specifically limited to 5mbps, then anyway to go around this limit is going outside the carriers network parameters which is illegal, and can lead to deactivation.

This is on the same ground as back when ATT had free tether and people abused the hell out of it, hence now tethering is actually a feature / option to most carriers.

I know it sounds silly, but its TOS.
We can not discuss anything which is illegal, or can get you into trouble.

And yes we know you said you wont abuse it...
But hey, carriers and i do not know you on a personal level.
Its like you trusting me with 100 dollar bill laying around and me saying i promise i wont take it.
Who knows... maybe i will and maybe i wont.. but you definitely wont know until its too late in any regards.

:p

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
using thether via phone and not though a sideload app is not considered illegal.

What your asking for is a way to go around the 5mbps limit put on the isp by the phone.
Unless your hardware is specifically limited to 5mbps, then anyway to go around this limit is going outside the carriers network parameters which is illegal, and can lead to deactivation.

This is on the same ground as back when ATT had free tether and people abused the hell out of it, hence now tethering is actually a feature / option to most carriers.

I know it sounds silly, but its TOS.
We can not discuss anything which is illegal, or can get you into trouble.

And yes we know you said you wont abuse it...
But hey, carriers and i do not know you on a personal level.
Its like you trusting me with 100 dollar bill laying around and me saying i promise i wont take it.
Who knows... maybe i will and maybe i wont.. but you definitely wont know until its too late in any regards.

:p
The way I am reading this is that the OP has a pixel phone that they can tether, and also a hotspot which is limited to 5Mbps, and the want to connect the pixel to their router. Is this correct OP?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
the pixel to their router.

they want to use the pixil as the router (tether).

They also didn't note if Tethering/Hotspot is cap'd and could also bypass the data cap on the illegal tethering, so they want a solution outside OEM to get around it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

I tether to my laptop all the time, no problem.

Visible pretty much lets you do anything.... hotspot, tether, unlimited data, unlimited everything. Tho, the hotspot is throttled to 5Mbps. Still, it's unlimited.
I just was talking about Visible over the weekend. How do you like it?

Reactions: ericlp

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
for 25 bucks a month, how can you go wrong? I use it as my main ISP when travelling.

It’s 40 a month for me, because I don’t have any friends that I can convince to try it. I do have two other lines to switch over, but I don’t think that counts.

ItsFlybye

Apr 30, 2018
To be honest, I wouldn’t bother with it. I tried using an iPhone and an iPad connected to a router via a USB port using DD-WRT firmware that recognized the phone or iPad as a modem, but the internet usage would always get my iPhone and iPad warm from all the data transfer. Nothing illegal about it. I was simply using my device as a cellular modem and not going around any restrictions.

When we use our phones, we are used to seeing the mobile versions of everything. Switch to the full version of all sites, and you end up downloading a lot more data.

My cellular reception also wasn’t great through the phone or iPad being that I now needed more bandwidth for doing everything on a PC. I ended up getting a cellular modem from cradlepoint.com and never looked back. They have professional class cellular modems. You stick a sim card in it with a data only plan and away you go. Best part is most models allow you to have external rabbit ear antennas. Larger antennas you would mount on an exterior wall are even available. They can get reception that hotpoints can only dream of.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
OP, are you saying if you use mobile wifi hotspot, it's limited to 5 mb/s but if you USB tether it is not limited to 5 mb/s?

If the OP is using the built in android USB tethering it is still reporting the data usage to the ISP as a connected/tethered device. If the ISP chooses not to rate limit USB connected devices but does limit wifi connected devices, that's not on the OP.

I've used my phone's tethering connected to an Asus modem. It works fine, albeit slowly. It worked to get me through a week until I had the internet setup at my new apartment.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I've figured it out so... it's all good! I'm not a moderator, so, if Anandtech decides that they won't discuss a certain topic, it's ok and I won't. It's their rules, not mine.

Thanks tho!

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Many of the ISPs just using a system to the detect it and if not allowed they will slow the bandwidth to a level that using the Internet this way is not very functional.

My perception of this thread was similar to.

I don't think the OP is asking for a bypass, but simply a way to tether to his/her router versus laptop--this wouldn't necessarily be in breech of any contracts, but does depend on the contract.

In any case, since the OP is amicably done with it....

Thread close.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.