Discussion Testing Opera as a browser

Jul 27, 2020

I've decided to try Opera as moinmoin has suggested. Today, with about 28 tabs, RAM reached above 14 GB out of 16 GB and CPU was also spiking pretty badly. So I downloaded and installed Opera and transferred 25 tabs to Opera by copypasting URLs.

Screenshot of Task Manager after I'm done doing the above:

1650442779759.png

More than 7 GB freed! That CPU graph looks peculiar.

1650442941513.png

For 28 tabs, Edge was using 32 processes. For 25 tabs, Opera is using 75(!).

Jul 27, 2020
Weird problem. I use msn.com for my daily local news fix. I really like it. But if I open it in Opera, it shows stale news from so many days ago. Refreshing has no effect. I open Edge Chromium and it shows the latest news. Then I refresh it in Opera and it shows the latest news. Is this some Microsoft trick to make sure people use only Edge Chromium to get the latest msn.com page? I'm guessing Windows must be doing something fishy. Thoughts?

Nov 17, 2019
Problem I have with Opera is that it loads every tab on startup. If I had 20 tabs open when I closed it last, it opens all of then on the next start. That creates a load. There is a setting that seems like it should stop that, but it doesn't.

Brave does the same thing.

Vivaldi doesn't. When I open a session, it shows the tabs, but none of them load until I click a tab. If there are 20 tabs, only the focused tab loads. I usually make sure I'm on a startup tab (not a website) when I close it so it will be on a dead tab when I open again.

That may not be an issue for some, but with a lower end machine, not a lot of RAM and a slow DSL connection, it matters to me.