Testing 4K Samsung Resolution

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Hey,
I have a Samsung 7000 series 4K TV (49") and would like to be able to determine the actual screen resolution from source to source. The screen size is set at 16:9. Regarding cable TV, the display will show resolution information when I first select the cable connection , showing it as 19 x 12 but there are channels that have black bars, e.g., BBC, with much lower resolution. I know this is a very specific question but is there a way to I determine the resolution for broadcasts on the individual channels ?
Similarly I would like to determine if the 4K works but I have no 4k source at hand (no Netflix, playstation,etc.,). There are videos on line that say they are 4K, named like " Samsung 4k video ultra hd for tv 2160p.mp4" but when I d/l them the resolution in Vlc is only 1280 x 720, the same on the TV when I select that source. Why is that ? Where is a real 4K video I can play ?

Last edited:

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
I used 4kvideodownload to grab some 4k content from youtube

put it on a usb drive, then into my samsung

you can tell its 4k, its noticably clearer, and more colorful

cant help with the rez determination

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Use a laptop. Even if the laptop's HDMI isn't 2.0 it's graphics card may still be able to output 4K. If that laptop has DisplayPort you'll have a better chance even using cheap DP to HDMI adapter. You'll need a decent HDMI cable as well. Not expensive, just good. If you issues outputting, like the graphics card detects that your display is 4K but when outputting it'll blank out you may need to reduce color output to YUV 420. PCs tend to default to RGB which is more demanding on cables.

Which in turn make PCs a great way to test for HDMI cable bandwidth capability.