Test your pc hardware with these HDTV videos:) with downloads 720p- 1080p!!! ;)

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
2,567
0
76
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Originally posted by: t60
I'd install it, but I hate WM9. It'll just rape my system.
Somebody is bitter...
Heh, well I don't really care about the new features WMP has...I've been using mplayer2 and it's been fine. Everytime I upgrade I wanna go back. I really wanna see these HDTV videos though...so maybe I'll install it.
 

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
3,880
0
76
wow. That coral reef demo is stunning. imagine if more DVD's came out looking like these...
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
yea the coral reef is the amazing one, the race and snowboard are kinda lame. those are easy to play, low bitrate compared to reef. high motion makes for blur instead of detail:) i so want a hdtv card:)

i didn't install wmp 9 till now, was using 8 or whatever before. it didn't rape my system so i'm fine with it. i just didn't choose to associate it with mp3 or dvd during install.
 

Palek

Senior member
Jun 20, 2001
937
0
0
<rant>I despise Microsoft for their dirty tricks, a recent one of which is that even when you tell the WM9 installer not to associate itself with any files, it WILL still steal some of the associations. That is just revolting. Users are too stupid to make decisions for themselves, are they? After installing WM9 on my work machine and seeing it pull of this little feat, I refuse to install WM9 on my home computer. Who knows what else Microsoft chose to decide for me...</rant>

I sure would like to see these hi-res videos, though. Gnnnnnnhhhhh.... (head explodes after prolonged inner battle)
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
and if you didn't know, 720p is 1280x720 :) i didn't know the horizontal res till now:p
 

Palek

Senior member
Jun 20, 2001
937
0
0
I de-selected everything, and it still took wma, wmv, avi, mid and even mp3 (previously Winamp), I think...
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
odd, maybe they've changed revisions since:p i just clicked on an mp3 and it played using winamp. avi's and wmv's i play with mediaplayer:p
 

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
6,889
0
0
Damn, that 1080p kicked my system's ass. I've got a 2.4GHz P4 with 1 gig of ram and it was fluid during each scene, but the beginnings were choppy as the codec showed new colors on the picture. Anyway, the quality is DAMN impressive to say the least!
 

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
7,685
0
0
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Damn, that 1080p kicked my system's ass. I've got a 2.4GHz P4 with 1 gig of ram and it was fluid during each scene, but the beginnings were choppy as the codec showed new colors on the picture. Anyway, the quality is DAMN impressive to say the least!
Hrm, maybe im a tough cookie or maybe i've got poor taste but the quality wasnt all that impressive to me ( so far only watched terminator 720 )
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
Originally posted by: Maleficus
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Damn, that 1080p kicked my system's ass. I've got a 2.4GHz P4 with 1 gig of ram and it was fluid during each scene, but the beginnings were choppy as the codec showed new colors on the picture. Anyway, the quality is DAMN impressive to say the least!
Hrm, maybe im a tough cookie or maybe i've got poor taste but the quality wasnt all that impressive to me ( so far only watched terminator 720 )
thats the low quality/low bitrate ones. the coral ones are the ones to get. resolutions probably more apparent the bigger your screen is.
 

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
30,215
11
81
That just kicked my system's ass. I expected more out of an Athlon 2200.
 

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
15,781
1
71
Originally posted by: Palek
<rant>I despise Microsoft for their dirty tricks, a recent one of which is that even when you tell the WM9 installer not to associate itself with any files, it WILL still steal some of the associations. That is just revolting. Users are too stupid to make decisions for themselves, are they? After installing WM9 on my work machine and seeing it pull of this little feat, I refuse to install WM9 on my home computer. Who knows what else Microsoft chose to decide for me...</rant>

I sure would like to see these hi-res videos, though. Gnnnnnnhhhhh.... (head explodes after prolonged inner battle)
OMG!! You'll have to reassociate a couple files! NOES!!

What associations, exactly, does it steal, aside from WMV which you need WMP9 to play anyway?
 

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
6,889
0
0
Originally posted by: Maleficus
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Damn, that 1080p kicked my system's ass. I've got a 2.4GHz P4 with 1 gig of ram and it was fluid during each scene, but the beginnings were choppy as the codec showed new colors on the picture. Anyway, the quality is DAMN impressive to say the least!
Hrm, maybe im a tough cookie or maybe i've got poor taste but the quality wasnt all that impressive to me ( so far only watched terminator 720 )
Nope, terminator one wasn't up to snuff. You didn't want the 1080p that I was referring to...
 

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
64,862
84
91
finally finished downloading the 1080p coral. 1920*1080 cripes! systems @ss was severely kicked:(
 

Palek

Senior member
Jun 20, 2001
937
0
0
Originally posted by: amnesiac
OMG!! You'll have to reassociate a couple files! NOES!!

What associations, exactly, does it steal, aside from WMV which you need WMP9 to play anyway?
You can find the answer to your question a few posts BEFORE your reply. And forgive me for being picky, but if I tell a program not to associate itself with anything, I kind of expect it to act accordingly. While you might not think it's that big a deal, this association-theft is part (albeit a small one) of Microsoft's strategy to subtly steal market share from other companies by pushing their software in your face against your will. Yeah, I can reset the associations without a problem, but why should I even have to? I have my favourite media player, and I want to stick with it until I decide to switch. Your average Joe will probably just give in and keep using WM9, and say good-bye to other, usually better alternatives.

<EDIT>Sorry, did not mean to hijack thread... </EDIT>
<EDIT2>Oh, yeah, and Windows Media Player often messes up DivX files with the .avi extension, it gets all choppy, even on an XP 2400+. Winamp 3 plays all video files (save for wmv of course) just fine.</EDIT>
 

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
28,510
0
0
you frigging bastards!
I downloaded the smallest video started it WITH wmp9 and black screen, and a minute later the system recovered from a device failure, please save your work and reboot.. and everything was in 640x480 and 16 colors

:p
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY