Question Test New Hard Drive

Collider

Jan 20, 2008
Need a recommendation of software / program / scrip to test new brand new hard drive.

What I would like is for it to make a write to every sector and report any bad ones, that seems to be most reliable.

Any other additional technique suggestions are welcome.

OS is Windows.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It may be a bit lengthy, but I download HDTune ( www.hdtune.com ), do a SMART check (or use CrystalDiskInfo for that), then do a surface scan, check SMART again, then do a full-format using Disk Management, check SMART, then do a surface scan (again), and check SMART again, for any re-allocated / pending sectors.

If it passes the read/write/read test, then I deem it "worth" of being used.

Collider

Jan 20, 2008
It may be a bit lengthy, but I download HDTune ( www.hdtune.com ), do a SMART check (or use CrystalDiskInfo for that), then do a surface scan, check SMART again, then do a full-format using Disk Management, check SMART, then do a surface scan (again), and check SMART again, for any re-allocated / pending sectors.

If it passes the read/write/read test, then I deem it "worth" of being used.

Thanks. Just downloaded HD Tune, there are many options available which test do you use for surface scan, "Error Scan" ?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, I think "error scan" is what you want, it draws green squares going across, as it scans the surface.

Note that the free version of HDTune is from like 2008-ish, I think, and may have issues with the error scan completing properly, on drives larger than 2TB.