Test my website please?

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Fine for me. Nice page. I wanted to start a sports site but I didn't have the time to update it regularly or the web-design skill to do it nicely.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
damn, i thought things were going fine...i'm getting a blank this morning too :(

bump for some morning opinions...

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: iamme
damn, i thought things were going fine...i'm getting a blank this morning too :(

bump for some morning opinions...

im good here on FF.

not a cached site so its good

overturfa

Jun 2, 2002
That's actually a very clean looking site. It loaded fine under IE and Netscape 7. I like the colors you chose and you made good use of your stysheet separating content from formatting. Your window title and URL should work together to give you good spider visibility.

Here are some suggestions I think could clean up your site a little:

Try moving your search box to the top of the screen where users can quickly identify it instead of linking a target to it (although what you have will ultimately work).

Perhaps add an archive section where you can offload some of your older content? Maybe you already have this and I just missed it but if you don't I would think you'll eventually need it or else you're main page will grow to the point where it's miles long. (You could incorporate this into your search functionality kind of like AnandTech allows you to select archived forums over 90 days to search)

Edit: I didn't see the next page/previous page links at the bottom on my first run though the site. Looks like you've got archiving covered. Maybe as the site matures though you could provide archive links for a range of dates (say broken out quarterly)?

Finally I noticed you're using strictly <div> tags to format you page. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact it gives you a lot of flexability when defining your classes in your stylesheet, but have you considered using tables instead? I noticed that when I resize the browser, the page does not dynamically resize to accomodate. It's not anything that absolutely needs to be addressed, but with tables you can define width as a percentage vs. using absolute values which will allow the site to readjust size with the size of the browser window. Alternatively you could edit your classes and allow one div to overlap the other on a browser resize or do nothing at all. FWIW it's not that big of deal, its just a matter of how flexible you want your site to be.

On another note, I notice that some of you images have alt values and some of them don't. I'm not sure if you want to cater to the blind or not, but if you do, there is a nice little plugin for firefox called fangs which will read your site and display exactly what a jaws reader would find.

Just my .02... Take it or leave it.

Good job overall though!

Adam..

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: overturfa
That's actually a very clean looking site. It loaded fine under IE and Netscape 7. I like the colors you chose and you made good use of your stysheet separating content from formatting. Your window title and URL should work together to give you good spider visibility.

Here are some suggestions I think could clean up your site a little:

Try moving your search box to the top of the screen where users can quickly identify it instead of linking a target to it (although what you have will ultimately work).

Perhaps add an archive section where you can offload some of your older content? Maybe you already have this and I just missed it but if you don't I would think you'll eventually need it or else you're main page will grow to the point where it's miles long. (You could incorporate this into your search functionality kind of like AnandTech allows you to select archived forums over 90 days to search)

Edit: I didn't see the next page/previous page links at the bottom on my first run though the site. Looks like you've got archiving covered. Maybe as the site matures though you could provide archive links for a range of dates (say broken out quarterly)?

Finally I noticed you're using strictly <div> tags to format you page. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact it gives you a lot of flexability when defining your classes in your stylesheet, but have you considered using tables instead? I noticed that when I resize the browser, the page does not dynamically resize to accomodate. It's not anything that absolutely needs to be addressed, but with tables you can define width as a percentage vs. using absolute values which will allow the site to readjust size with the size of the browser window. Alternatively you could edit your classes and allow one div to overlap the other on a browser resize or do nothing at all. FWIW it's not that big of deal, its just a matter of how flexible you want your site to be.

On another note, I notice that some of you images have alt values and some of them don't. I'm not sure if you want to cater to the blind or not, but if you do, there is a nice little plugin for firefox called fangs which will read your site and display exactly what a jaws reader would find.

Just my .02... Take it or leave it.

Good job overall though!

Adam..

thanks for the compliments and tips. i really can't take too much credit for the site's design. it's the Wordpress blogging script with a theme called Rin. i choose it because of the clean look that most people have mentioned.

but thanks again for your observations!